Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Weight isn't the real safety advantage of the DA trigger, it's the length. Trigger length is quite noticeably more pronounced with a DA gun and it does give you options that an SA or striker trigger does not.
    During one episode of this ongoing conversation, ToddG mentioned a study that some of teh Feds (I wanna say FBI?) had done, complete with strain gauges on triggers and shit, that did indeed conclude that length of trigger pull was a more important factor than weight if you wanted to cut down on discharges from startle responses, woobie-checking, and the like. I'll be damned if I can find a link to it now.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    As an example, I shot a club match with my 92D not long ago. I wanted to see how well I could do with it Vs. my 92 DA/SA gun. During the match I stopped a trigger press almost at the end of the stoke shooting into a position. My gun was on target and I had made the decision to fire, but my sights weren't settled enough to get the accuracy I needed. I was able to let out the slack, refine my sights and make the hits I needed. The DA length allowed me time to reassess and recalibrate. I'm positive had I been shooting my Elite II or my old G17 I would have broke that shot simply because the trigger length on those platforms is much less.
    I've come off the trigger with Glocks as well, in matches, and in real life a couple of times. They are on the ragged edge though.

All of my guns have a NY1 trigger. I did manage to not shoot Dove in the face with a Glock blue/training gun in Southnarc's scenario event at Tac Con, I was halfway through the trigger press when he started to do what he was supposed to do when a "cop" is pointing a gun at him. Pretty sure Craig's T guns have standard triggers.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-26-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I've come off a glock trigger for real more than a couple of times, and in training as well. I don't think the DA trigger is a huge safety advantage in this area for the well trained, experienced guy. I think it is a night and day difference when issued to average guys, for those times that they decide to finger check their triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Also - to reiterate my point - you have to drop a lot of cash to get into a SA/DA gun if you are already well invested in a striker fired platform. 2-3 guns + IWB/OWB holsters + mags + sights + tools + parts = probably a few grand at the very least, if not more.

If you have the cash, good on you, but right now my gun budget is being spent on ammo (an impulsive Model 28-2 purchase aside).... If we were talking about starting out from square 1 then I think SA/DA deserves a strong look.
    I agree absolutely, it's all about properly investing in the system like you said, not merely in just one new gun. If starting over I would probably still go stryker/glock for the reasons I mentioned, but if I was to start over the Sphynx SDP would be very intriguing to me

Why I Switched to Double Action Semi-Autos --- Lucky Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    A little off topic but what is the general opinion here of the Sig DAK equipped guns?
    I like the 229 DAK as a duty gun/people management tool. I carried one from 05 to 10. No issues with it. (Kind of heavy for its size.) It ran fine. I could hit with it. Splits are not as fast as other guns, but fine for a defensive gun.

Still, I found myself always competing with my Glock 17. I was faster, had more ammo on board, lighter weight. So when the agency approved the Glock for duty, I ditched the DAK and went Glock. The 229 and 239 did not share mags or holsters, the 17/26 did. Overall, Glock made more sense to me.

That being said, I never felt un safe or outgunned with my DAK (or the 96D I had prior to that). When you are stacked up with 8 other people running into a house, I felt a bit safer knowing some of my idiot co workers running behind me had a DAO/DAK trigger. When jumping out of cars, and shoving past people, and doing cop shit, I was glad to have the DAK for average shooters.

(I picked one up from Kieslers Police Supply on line for $398 shipped. Looks damn good. About 5 others were bought by coworkers, with 3 looking lightly used and 2 looking run over... But good deals are out there to be had.)
    Last edited by Gadfly; 05-26-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Chuck, did your department roll with the NY1 trigger, or was it a personal choice? How long have you used the NY1 spring?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've come off the trigger with Glocks as well, in matches, and in real life a couple of times. They are on the ragged edge though.

All of my guns have a NY1 trigger. I did manage to not shoot Dove in the face with a Glock blue/training gun in Southnarc's scenario event at Tac Con, I was halfway through the trigger press when he started to do what he was supposed to do when a "cop" is pointing a gun at him. Pretty sure Craig's T guns have standard triggers.
    Another advantage of the NY trigger is that the spring is less likely to break than the standard coil one. I replaced a broken one in a collegue's issue G23 last week that broke after eleven years of service.
    I noticed that our first batch of Gen 4 G23s were ordered with the NY-1 spring installed. Haven't had a chance to shoot one or any Gen 4 Glock yet...

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Another advantage of the NY trigger is that the spring is less likely to break than the standard coil one. I replaced a broken one in a collegue's issue G23 last week that broke after eleven years of service.
    I noticed that our first batch of Gen 4 G23s were ordered with the NY-1 spring installed. Haven't had a chance to shoot one or any Gen 4 Glock yet...
    Hasn't Glock improved the trigger spring, so failures are far less likely now?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ny1 triggers are pretty long. I distinctly remember thinking several times "when is this thing going to go off?"

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    It depends how I'm seated. Upright is no issue, but reclining can be. Legs pinned together can be an issue, knees apart is no problem

I carry to the right of my belt buckle, maybe 12:30 or so. Muzzle ends up pointing between my legs and down when seated.

There are certainly exceptions to this, but when holstered, things are usually good.
    So then "sometimes" the gun flags you.

I just stuck an empty zero cant holster into my appendix area (even pretended I had a big wedge on the bottom) and no matter where I placed it I covered something while seated. It's comfortable for me, but for some reason it gets a pass?

It just seems contradictory when videos like this come out how to make it.. "Safe-ish."

Am I wrong? I like it, I'm confident in myself, just on the fence.
    Last edited by GAP; 05-27-2016 at 06:45 AM.

User Tag List