Thread: Meprolight R4E night sights

Site Supporter

Meprolight R4E night sights

Does anyone have any experience with the Meprolight R4E night sights? I am currently using Trijicon HD sights which i like. The R4E sight set is cool looking and the tritium lasts 15 years. My real question : are the R4E sights a good choice for defensive use? I saw these sights for the first time at the MidwayUSA site yesterday. If you are wondering about the sight picture, the top of the front sight (the metal housing) is in line with the top of the rear sight and the horizontal lines are in line with the front dot. There is a good explanation with pictures in one of the advertisement videos.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Kimber 1911 in 2000, and had the factory install Meprolight night sights. The tritium was dim within a few months. When I had them replaced, also by the Kimber factory with the same Meprolight sights, they also went dim in a few months.

I typically got about 3 years out of the former P-T/IWI night sights before needing to replace them. This was consistent for several sets.

My current Trijicon Bright & Tough (not HD) sights are about 6 years old, and I am just now thinking it might be time for fresh ones. They are still quite visible in some light conditions, but not as visible as I would like.

I would not spend my money on any tritium sights that had inserts made by anyone other than Trijicon. Trijicon inserts have consistently lasted the longest for me.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I bought a Kimber 1911 in 2000, and had the factory install Meprolight night sights. The tritium was dim within a few months. When I had them replaced, also by the Kimber factory with the same Meprolight sights, they also went dim in a few months.

I typically got about 3 years out of the former P-T/IWI night sights before needing to replace them. This was consistent for several sets.

My current Trijicon Bright & Tough (not HD) sights are about 6 years old, and I am just now thinking it might be time for fresh ones. They are still quite visible in some light conditions, but not as visible as I would like.

I would not spend my money on any tritium sights that had inserts made by anyone other than Trijicon. Trijicon inserts have consistently lasted the longest for me.
    Current production night sights are rated for 12 years from what i have read for trijicon and meprolight sights. You have a point. How useful is the sight after the tritium has dimmed for 6 years.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 05-26-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Anything with Trijicon lamps will be brighter and last longer than meprolites.

Glock, HK and SIG use them as default factory night sights because they are cheaper. I've seen multiple issued meps go dim or die in 5 years or less.

As for the R4E sights - they look way too busy for me, especially the rear sight. I want to draw my eye / focus to the front sight - a busy rear like this is a distraction IMO.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-26-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    12 years is the half life for tritium decay. So, assuming the vials remain leakproof, the sights should be 1/2 as bright 12 years after they were made.

For my 14 year old Luminox watch, I find that to be accurate. The vials are still illuminated but with noticably less brightness than when new. For sights which are subject to frequent recoil, durability is definitely tested. My North American Arms .380 is particularly brutal on tritium vials.

I would not say that my 6 year old sights have dimmed out. They are just noticably less bright than when new. In some light conditions, that can make a difference.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 05-26-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List