Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: Salomon Men's XA Pro Mid GTX Hiking Shoe

Review: Salomon Men's XA Pro Mid GTX Hiking Shoe

Description:
    Per the manufacturers website, the XA Pro Mid GTX are Mid height and fully waterproof, this iconic shoe for moving fast on rough terrain gets an improved collar design for more comfort, and updated outsole for superior grip on any surface. There are several different versions of this shoe, I purchased the standard Black/Black/Asphalt version which is the one I will be reviewing here. I purchased it from Amazon in 9/12 for around $160 and wore them on duty since that time until around 11/15 when I purchased its big brother, the 4D Quest Forces in black.
    Check out the full review here -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/05/salomon...king-shoe.html

Man, GTX for duty wear? I couldn't do it - they'd rot from the inside out from trapped sweat. If my wife didn't kick me out before then from the stink. I have the low-rise version of these, but I only wear them on cold wet-ground spring hikes in the mountains. The non-GTX version is my #1 go-to shoe, though. Great drainage, which works better for me than GTX 99% of the time.

ETA: just remembered that for those of us who like a big toe-box, getting these in extra-wide is a god-send. I also replace the footbed with something much thinner, otherwise the heel-cup doesn't grab my heel well enough. With those two tweaks, though, they're awesome for side-hilling and down-hilling without bopping your toe against the front of the show and losing a nail...
    Last edited by MDS; 05-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Man, GTX for duty wear? I couldn't do it - they'd rot from the inside out from trapped sweat. If my wife didn't kick me out before then from the stink. I have the low-rise version of these, but I only wear them on cold wet-ground spring hikes in the mountains. The non-GTX version is my #1 go-to shoe, though. Great drainage, which works better for me than GTX 99% of the time.
    I put those odor balls in them after shift every day. Worked well.

Nice. I've been wearing the XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX for work every day for the last two years. I always attributed the extra wear on the right sole to the 1911, but okay, it might be from driving. I finally ordered a replacement pair of XA Pro 3D GTX over the weekend.

Perhaps because I have a bird dog, but I wear the soles out on these and their low cousins in two months. I have near a dozen pairs with perfect uppers and slick bottoms.

Just don't wear them in wet, wooden planks in SE Alaska as I have taken falls worthy of TV.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've been wearing the Quest 4D GTXs for about a year. One of the best boots I've worn.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perhaps because I have a bird dog, but I wear the soles out on these and their low cousins in two months. I have near a dozen pairs with perfect uppers and slick bottoms.

Just don't wear them in wet, wooden planks in SE Alaska as I have taken falls worthy of TV.
    I added a little tidbit at the end about wet/ice conditions, while they are good overall shoes and excel in warm/dry conditions they are skates in ice/wet.

I remember a guy I used to run track with doing that, he went and had a podiatrist custom order him a good pair of soles. You can do it on your own if you feel creative, but it might be because of the way you walk and a custom pair of soles may change the distribution of weight. I get a gait analysis every two or three years (depending on how running heavy I'll be) This is important because you gait may change over time and with different shoes (has to do with degree of stance which is different with each shoe).

A good, high end gait analysis will record you walking and running on a treadmill, then the person (usually someone who either has a lot of experience, but preferably a medical professional of some sort) will give you actual data on your gait and will recommend specific shoes and/or soles to "fix" what gait issues you have.

This is all stuff you probably already know, just posting for benefit of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I've been wearing the Quest 4D GTXs for about a year. One of the best boots I've worn.
    I have a pair I wear on duty since the beginning of the winter. Very good and solid overall boot, really nothing I would want more or less with them.

Generally I find Gore-Tex or any waterproof but breathable membrane in shoes/boots to be unacceptable. No matter what type of socks I wear they just do not breath enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Generally I find Gore-Tex or any waterproof but breathable membrane in shoes/boots to be unacceptable. No matter what type of socks I wear they just do not breath enough.
    Different folks, different strokes. It is the reason there is no one fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Man, GTX for duty wear? I couldn't do it - they'd rot from the inside out from trapped sweat.
    Buy two pair and rotate them daily. There's no rule that you can only have one pair of work shoes/boots.
    Last edited by Hambo; 05-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List