Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Long gun choice

If you are going to get a bolt gun, then be sure to check out the Tikka.
    tikka-t3x

The Beretta store in Manhattan stocks them if you are upstate then I am sure you could get them at
    most big box stores (Gander/BassPro)
    I bought mine because so many people on this forum liked them.
    They are guaranteed to be 1 MOA with factory ammo and are considered to have the smoothest action around.
    They upgraded the models since last year, so its "New and Improved".
    Last edited by nycnoob; 03-20-2016 at 12:22 AM.

I knew one tough old guy who was very pleased with a Remington 141 pump .35.

Lever actions are about as innocuous looking a firearm as you can buy new.
    Automatics are Evil Assault Weapons and bolt actions are Sneaky Snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by maclin View Post
    Consider the hot water the cop is in for having a design on the dust cover of his AR. One can do solid work with a lever gun, bolt action, or 870. Randy Cain used to do a class (may still) on using a deer rifle in an anti-personnel role.
    The cop was in hot water for shooting a man who turned out to be unarmed 5 times through his back while he was on his hands and knees. Had the officer used a lever action gun to shoot him he still would have been in trouble.
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-20-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I knew one tough old guy who was very pleased with a Remington 141 pump .35.

Lever actions are about as innocuous looking a firearm as you can buy new.
    Automatics are Evil Assault Weapons and bolt actions are Sneaky Snipers.
    I think my reservation with the lever is the reload. It's hard as hell to do in a hurry. Shotguns are much easier and a detachable mag, well you know.

I'm not too familiar with .35 Remington, Ill have to check it out. Ithe isn't going to be an easy find or common around here I'm sure. I'm guessing it's more expensive than common calibers. No?

I don't think I have to go as far as being worried about a bolt like a CZ 527. Then I lose completely. I'll follow the law and be smart but I don't have to kiss their ring and kneel.
    Last edited by newyork; 03-20-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Jim B originally did that one for me but Steve has plenty of them, too.

The Ruger .308 has more reach out, but in the muzzle to 250 yard envelope, the CZ will run circles around the Ruger. That stock CZ would be very useful, and if you popped a 30mm Aimpoint on, better yet.
    GJM and I have been on a quest for the ideal short bolt rifle for years; he, his wife and I took identical Brockman scout rifles to Gunsite for 260 (General Purpose Rifle), maybe 15 years ago. Even though this pic shows the rifle with an LPV, the guns were set up with 2.5X scout scopes; Brockman machined stripper clip notches into the receiver bridges, so you loaded 5 .308 rounds at a time while running around various practical rifle courses (the dropped floorplate came later):

Name:  pscout - 1.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  82.4 KB

This worked pretty well, as long as you didn't bugger up the stripper clip while trying to jam the cartridge stack into the gun too quickly while running the Scrambler! This experience helped convince me that a DBM was the way to go for practical rifle. FN came out with a DBM kit that used high quality 5 and 10-round mags, so I had Brockman build me a .308 short rifle on an FN Special Police action (same as M70), 18" barrel with a bit of pic rail forward for an Aimpoint. This setup was a huge improvement for a course like Randy Cain's practical rifle, where, while you do a lot of shooting, you do a lot of reloading under time pressure.

Name:  pscout2 - 1.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  62.3 KB

Having said all that, the CZ carbine is super fast and handy. The CZ micro action is hell for strong, so you can run it hard without worrying about it, and the short throw makes it much faster than any lever gun. I can hit IPSC target heads at 150 very quickly with this rifle, and would have no problem taking a deer with it. It is short, light, versatile and dependable; a perfect PC truck gun. If you're on a budget, the base gun is reasonably priced; you can pop an LPV on it, or use the forward integral scope base for a 30mm ring and Aimpoint. While you can't top up through the ejection port, the 5-round mags are easy to load, and they are small and flat; you can carry a bunch of them.

Fantastic thank you Steve. I didn't realize the CZ had a forward pic rail. That would seal the deal. Are you using the factory Aim point mount? If not, what mount and what height?

Oh I see, you meant that I use the mount just forward of the action, not a forward pic rail. Gotcha.
    Last edited by newyork; 03-20-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Well heck. Now I need a 527.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Well heck. Now I need a 527.
    Don't feel alone.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Don't feel alone.

Okie John
    Been thinking about a defensive bolt gun for a while now but mostly I've been looking at .308. I have looked at the 527 some but now I'm sold. Still kinda want a .308 too.

I'd listen closely to what Nyeti has written.

Personally in a state with asinine illogical firearms laws and 10 rd mag restriction, I'd go with a Rem 870, .44 Mag or .30-30 lever gun, or M1 rifle. CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 or an SMLE would also be reasonable if you want a bolt gun.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List