Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any difference in primers? (cci v. Wolf

Indeed.

Sadly I was just starting out at the time and did not know any better.

I seem to be having better success as of late. I have loaded 600 rounds with the wolf primers so far, in batches of 200.

The first 200 were awful. Probably 20 that did not ignite on the first try. 2 that did not ignite at all.

The next 200 were better, probably not more than 10 light strikes. Again 2 that did not ignite at all.

I shot the last 200 at the SLG mini class Sunday. Only 1 light strike, and all other rounds fired successfully of the first try.

All 600 have been with a lightened striker spring.

These primers for some reason are a bit oversized than most everything else and thus harder to seat in tight, once-fired primer pockets. I believe I have learned how to really ram it in there (internet joke goes here) when seating these primers. This has nearly eliminated my problems with them.

Still will never buy them again, of course.
    Last edited by fuse; 05-09-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Assume you meant small pistol.

Anyway, I have the new silver wolf primers.
    No, I wrote what I meant, small rifle primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson
    You need to find a new place for your supplies. There were lots of so called "discount" places that jacked their rates up 2 years ago. There were lots of places that stayed loyal to their customer base and did not gouge their customers. Those are the only ones I do business right now
    Well if you can tell me where to get Winchester, CCI, or Federal primers for $18K per thousand then I am all ears.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Well if you can tell me where to get Winchester, CCI, or Federal primers for $18K per thousand then I am all ears.[/QUOTE]

First off, I haven't seen any of them for 18 per k in MANY years, but finding them in the 20-23 dollar range ain't too hard. My local store sells them for about 21 per k. My point was that if you were using a store that was selling them for 20-25, then went up $7-10 during the run... then you need to find a new store. There were plenty of guys who did not raise their prices. Powder valley comes to mind on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    First off, I haven't seen any of them for 18 per k in MANY years, but finding them in the 20-23 dollar range ain't too hard. My local store sells them for about 21 per k. My point was that if you were using a store that was selling them for 20-25, then went up $7-10 during the run... then you need to find a new store. There were plenty of guys who did not raise their prices. Powder valley comes to mind on the internet
    Well if you are getting them for $21 per K then you are doing well. Nobody around here is selling them for less than $30 per K and online they are over $25 per K.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 05-10-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have found this to be the case as well. Had several high primer in the last batch I made.
    I have used Wolff Large primers and find them to be the devil to seat using a Hornady LNL AP Progressive press and with a hand primer. The dimension of these primers have alot of variance as the auto primer station seems to have an inordinate amount of mis-feeds as well. In addtion, some of the primers have failed to fire after two primer strikes. I handle the primers appropriately and cannot attribute this to improper storage or handling.

Just ran 200 loads with CCI 300 large primers through the LNL AP with no seating issues.

Like most folks I bought these when no other primers were available two years ago. When I have CCI primers on hand these are of low value to me.

I know this is my first post here but I would avoid Wolff primers.

B

I have found this to be the case as well. Had several high primer in the last batch I made.
    I have used Wolff Large primers and find them to be the devil to seat using a Hornady LNL AP Progressive press and with a hand primer. The dimension of these primers have alot of variance as the auto primer station seems to have an inordinate amount of mis-feeds as well. In addtion, some of the primers have failed to fire after two primer strikes. I handle the primers appropriately and cannot attribute this to improper storage or handling.

Just ran 200 loads with CCI 300 large primers through the LNL AP with no seating issues.

Like most folks I bought these when no other primers were available two years ago. When I have CCI primers on hand these are of low value to me.

I know this is my first post here but I would avoid Wolff primers.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    There were plenty of guys who did not raise their prices. Powder valley comes to mind on the internet
    And PV was backordered for months and months. If there's a supply loss or demand spike, prices have to rise or there are shortages. Places who jacked up their prices weren't screwing people, they were making sure they had primers in stock for people who really needed them.

I bought a bunch of Wolf SPP when they were all I could find at a reasonable price. They were a bear to seat and about 2-3% FTF. I'll burn the rest of them for practice ammo at some point, but I load Federal now.

The happiest day for me reloading-wise in a long time was when I loaded and shot a round with my final wolf primer. Good riddance.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Wolf, nickel plated SPP post 2009 are a huge PITA. I wouldn't personally wish them on my worst enemy unless they had a Super 1050 and could crush those suckers in the pocket consistently and ran extra power striker springs. Still have 800 of 10K left, and will get 1-2 light strikes per 100 rounds even when these are seated by hand running extra powered striker springs in my M&Ps (which are very primer depth sensitive, IMO).

Wolf .223 SRM primers work fine, as do the Tula standard SRP. I find the standard Russian small rifle primers, when seated by hand, to be as consistent in reducing ES/SD as Federal GMM primers.

CCI SPP handle pressure the best of the big 4, but are also the least sensitive.

Federal are the only thing I run in lightened actions and will ignite consistently when nothing else will. They do not handle pressure well without deformation.

Win SPP are almost as sensitive as Federals, but are generally cheaper.

User Tag List