Page 46 of 435 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: The PX4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Yes.

As a matter of fact, I haven't found any TCAP in orange on the Ameriglo site. Regular CAP in orange yes but not the narrower TCAP.
    All the more reason to push for a red/orange TCAP...

I would agree except for what Ernie found out here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....293#post380293

Site Supporter
    I would agree except for what Ernie found out here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....293#post380293
    That would be for the ProGlo ( HD style front) the TCAP is thinner with square paint. Also they make a thin ProGlo for Glocks.

But they still don't make an orange TCAP, only the larger CAP. Does that have to do with low demand or with the same limitations that the ProGlo front has?

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    But they still don't make an orange TCAP, only the larger CAP. Does that have to do with low demand or with the same limitations that the ProGlo front has?
    They do make an orange TCAP. They're just bad about updating their website.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post361069

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Wow, even better. They literally have nothing more to do than cut the sights to fit a PX4 dovetail for both the front and the rear. This is tempting enough for even me to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    That's great :-)

So if it's not on their website, how does one go about ordering them?

Can someone provide a link to the coated locking block for the barrel? Supposed to improve the smoothness of the action or something? Thought it was a new part to beretta USA but don't see it in the site.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    Can someone provide a link to the coated locking block for the barrel? Supposed to improve the smoothness of the action or something? Thought it was a new part to beretta USA but don't see it in the site.
    http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/cam-...px4-sd/c5b886/

It's definitely smoother in my PX4. Less friction than the standard locking block with lube.

Take-down latch/catch too easy to manipulate?

I hope this isn't considered "off-topic", as it isn't meant to be a derail at all. The discussion here has been partly about the prospect of a "Langdon Tactical" edition of the PX4 compact (which I am looking forward to), and also the suitability of the PX4 Compact as a carry gun. I have been very keen on this gun as a replacement for my single-stack striker fired nine since I first read the thread and rented a PX4 compact to try, and have been working on a PX4 of my own towards that end. I have a JMCK "George" and AIWB-SPMP on order for it, and have been trying different levers, springs and safety switches looking for the best compromise between function and "carryability" for me. Not that the gun isn't perfectly serviceable out of the box, I just love tinkering. I explain all of this to show that I am not trying to be the "turd in the punch bowl" with what I am about to relate.

When I first purchased the PX4 and was familiarizing myself with it, I was amazed at how easily the gun is field stripped. Simply pull down on each end of the take-down catch, and the slide comes right off. No need to retract the slide, line up any notches, or any other trick. Almost too easily I thought, but decided "eh, the lever ends are recessed, what could possibly engage both ends on either side of the gun at once accidentally?". And so I went on without giving it much further thought, even when I observed that my support hand thumb tip seems to inevitably wind up resting right at one end of the take-down catch.

While selecting some accessories on the Beretta USA website once, they were practically giving away their leather holsters with the purchase of a certain dollar value of accessories. I thought why not, no telling how long the JMCK order is going to take, and at least this will give me something to work with while I wait. So, I ordered the inside-the-pant leather PX4 Compact holster with the soft loops. I must say, it is a pretty nicely constructed and decent looking holster. I wish in retrospect I had gone with the Mod 2 OWB holster, as it wouldn't have basically been redundant with the Kydex I have on order, but c'est la vie (I didn't realize at the time it was adjustable to fit the compact).

Now to the heart of the matter. I'm sure most have figured out where this is going. The leather holster arrived, and it was beyond "snug". I had to hold the holster in one hand, and literally cram the pistol into it with my other hand behind the hammer/slide in order to seat the pistol without the slide coming out of battery (fully retracting, in fact). No big deal, I'd rather leave the gun in the holster for several days and let the holster mold itself to the gun, than have a holster with no retention. And boy, did this thing have retention. Forget about drawing the gun, getting it out once it was fully seated was a two-handed operation. I thought I might even have to get a foot or two involved at first. However, after a couple of days, the holster really began "relaxing" to the gun and it became easier and easier to withdraw the weapon (still a bit too snug to draw so far). This morning, while sitting idly on the sofa drinking my coffee, I decided to pull it out and see how the holster was coming along. Needless to say, I was not prepared when I drew the frame in my right hand, and the slide fell out of the holster into my lap.

I sat there for a moment staring first at the slideless frame in my hand, then to the frameless slide in my lap and wrapping my head around the inevitable ramifications had I been pulling the gun out for something substantially more serious than to "play". I have not been able to duplicate this feat since, no matter how I try. I cannot say definitively that the way I was squeezing the holster with my left hand had nothing to do with the catch activation. The holster, which is very well molded to the form of the gun, does have indentions on either side where the take-down catch recesses are, and on the front side even has a "dimple" within this indent right about where the end of the take-down catch should be (why, I have no idea). I imagine the Kydex I have on order will not have indentions where the take-down recesses are, as I cannot see them aiding much in retention. This should eliminate the concern with a Kydex holster. Why Beretta saw fit to mold their leather holsters into these pockets in the frame is utterly beyond me.

But I now have a serious concern. I had put any worries about the super-easy take-down out of my mind, but they sure came screaming back in a hurry this morning. What could be done to eliminate this possibility? Aside from never using this holster for carry for starters. A much, much stiffer take-down catch spring comes to mind first (like a "holy sh*t, pass me those pliers" stiffer spring). Anyone have any suggestions on how best to try to find such a specific sized and rated spring? Has anyone ever heard of one of these PX4s spontaneously disassembling themselves either in a holster or while firing?

I still intend to move forward with the pistol, as I think it can fulfill everything on my wish list based on my very meager experience. And, I look forward to seeing the final form of the Langdon edition, as I may very well like it better than what I come up with. But damn, that was quite a moment this morning. I didn't need much more coffee to wake up after that!

ETA: Well, I spoke too soon. Less than 30 minutes after posting this, I was reading another thread and absentmindedly picked up my PX4 (empty, of course) to work it in and out of the holster whilst reading. Guess what happened on my first extraction? Yep, only the frame. At least this time I stopped pulling before having a slide land in my lap (hopefully) narrowly avoiding critical infrastructure again.
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 12-12-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Spoke too soon on the un-repeatability of the incident!

User Tag List