Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What's Next?

We are diminished
    Except then the gun is no longer drop safe. The grip safety on an XD serves the same purpose as the trigger safety on the Glock or the hinged trigger on the M&P... it prevents the trigger from moving under inertia if the gun is dropped muzzle-up.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Except then the gun is no longer drop safe. The grip safety on an XD serves the same purpose as the trigger safety on the Glock or the hinged trigger on the M&P... it prevents the trigger from moving under inertia if the gun is dropped muzzle-up.
    Eh? I'm not a fan of the gun, but the XD does have a Glock-style trigger face safety; the grip safety blocks sear travel.

I still wouldn't be inclined disable the grip safety personally, though, given the XD is basically single action and doesn't have the extra striker travel that a Glock does.

EDIT:

Found a decent video showing exactly how the XD grip safety functions:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Bareideru/videos/1/
    Last edited by jslaker; 03-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Without questioning anyone's integrity, there is often a vast difference between an owner's reviews in the Internet and what instructors who see hundreds of pistols per year in arduous conditions report.
    If I hear flawless one more time. "So I went to the range with my new handgun and it was flawless after the 500 round "break-in" period, I left out all the "flyers" and had to mail it back to the manufacturer twice."

One thing that strikes me immediately as odd about the XD is OEM parts are not available for the gun, extractors, firing pins, nadda. It goes back to the factory, for me, as someone with a gun at a manufacturer currently, that's just a level of head ache I don't want to deal with. Then you actually look at the gun's performance and it kind of goes down hill.

Now my Father owns an XD-45, I've shot it, and in the experience we've had it's worked fine, but it also probably has less than a thousand rounds through it. It was pretty accurate and I can't recall one malfunction, and I still wouldn't recommend it for carry based off of what I've read/seen elsewhere.

I'd like to see a Gen 4 Glock in 9mm, as I understand it, again, as I understand it (hearsay), the .40 S&W issues of the Gen 3 were resolved, the Gen 4 9mm is still finicky. (I'm betting a glock... 17 Gen 4 for next year, maybe a Glock 19 Gen 4... it'll be between those two, if I had to bet)

I don't know if it's a break-in issue, or I believe I'd heard they had modified the recoil springs since.

I can't think of any other serious pistols out there that's come out in the last year.

I think the only manufacturers as a side note, that would entertain this type of venture, are companies that want L.E./Mil contracts, Todd's well respected in more than a few places, I think it's giving their weapon credibility (ETA: to finish the thought) with L.E./Mil to give it to him and let him put it through the paces, honestly. I think his word carries merit to them and could help persuade some agencies.

I don't see Ruger, Springfield, Taurus, etc, ever contacting him.

But this is also my best guess, and my guesses are unqualified to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by P30shtr View Post
    ^^XD Grip Safety^^

Two words, Duct Tape

This was meant as a joke, nothing more. Not to be taken seriously by any means.

The XD also has a striker safety (I think most/all striker-fired weapons do, right?) which would lead me to believe that minus the grip safety, it has the same level of safety as the glock (trigger safety, striker safety).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So if Springfield, Ruger, etc wouldn't touch this kind of test, who all does that leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    So if Springfield, Ruger, etc wouldn't touch this kind of test, who all does that leave?
    It would be cruel to make Todd run a GP100 endurance test, his grandchildren would have to pick it up where he left off.

Actually I was thinking of a Vaquero

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Actually I was thinking of a Vaquero
    No Alaskan?

My thoughts? Probably a constant action type trigger, also probably striker fired.

I am betting an HK P30 equivalent that is striker fired. I've seen reference to it being titled the P40. It will be forged from pure unobtainium.

Alternatively, maybe the new FNX, or FNS - striker fired.

Link to FN FNS-http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=631
    Last edited by Steven C.; 03-07-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Steven C. View Post
    Alternatively, maybe the new FNX, or FNS - striker fired.

Link to FN FNS-http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=631
    Huh. I had somehow managed to avoid hearing about this until now. I don't know why, but I just could never get myself interested in the FNP/FNX line. Just didn't see any real advantage over more common hammer-fired systems like HK and Sig, and its relative obscurity makes finding accessories like holsters a nightmare from the accounts I've heard.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing how the FNS performs, though. If they price it sanely, it could be a nice new competitor for the market.

User Tag List