Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CQB range--Is there any advantage to 5.56 over 9MM?

Quote Originally Posted by j.d.allen View Post
    I can't argue with your logic here, however I live in the liberty loving state of CA, and as such I am restricted to ten round magazines regardless of caliber or platform.
    I would go with a shotgun.

I can't argue with your logic here, however I live in the liberty loving state of CA, and as such I am restricted to ten round magazines regardless of caliber or platform.
    You can do a lot of good work with 10 rounds of 5.56, if you're aiming that's a lot of shooting. I'd never take a 10 round mag over a 30, but if I was limited to a rifle with 10 rounds I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It wouldn't be ideal, but having a 5.56 rifle in hand with 10 rounds is nothing to scoff at.

May I then suggest a .338 federal sbr platform? http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ot-SBR-Project (if link violates forum policy, please delete)

CA platform issues aside, 10 rds of 5.56 is always better than 10 rds of a pistol caliber. Maybe not when you look at the totality, but I can't speak to the crazy restrictions former Americans deal with when stuck behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I would go with a shotgun.
    +!

Particularly when dealing with likely scenarios and engagement ranges(legally justifiable ranges as well), the shotgun is probably the most ideal civilian defensive weapon. AND, as long as it isn't a super tactical config, it is less likely to draw a negative opinion from 12 jury members of your peers when it comes time to go to court.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 09-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    What's the general consensus on something like a 450 or 50 Beowulf?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 09-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    What's the general consensus on something like a 450 or 50 Beowulf?

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    I know an officer who hunts with a .458 SOCOM. Ballistically it is basically just a .45-70 in a more modernized cartridge for semi auto use. So, yeah it definitely causes more trauma, but you will need high capacity AR mags to run anything more than 5rds in the mag. I would only use it for hunting or dangerous game self defense.

I'd have a hard time arguing against a 12ga semi-auto like the M1014 or 1301 in that state if 10 round mags apply to ALL platforms. Why not launch 1oz of hate if 10 is all I can get?

Would 12g be a poor choice for indoors? Unless you lived alone far away from neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Would 12g be a poor choice for indoors? Unless you lived alone far away from neighbors?
    From watching a real live ND with #1B in an apartment, I'm not sure how concerned I'd be. The buckshot in this case punched through one layer of drywall, passed through insulation and through a layer of siding, and embedded itself into a second layer of siding about four yards away. The pellets were less than 1cm deep in said siding.

It's a concern, but from watching that, I can't say I walked away with the impression that it'd zip straight through the exterior of the home and into the local personal injury lawyer's club.

User Tag List