Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

Site Supporter
    Honolulu just melted down 2300 5906's to " keep them off the streets" and passed on $575,000 in potential trade in value.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...lice-firearms/

Second Amendment advocates are firing away at a decision by Honolulu officials to destroy $575,000 worth of perfectly good handguns in a move one critic called the “height of anti-gun stupidity.”

Some 2,300 Smith & Wesson 9 mm handguns, including at least 200 that are brand-new and in unopened boxes, were issued to the city’s police department. But with the 2,200-member force upgrading to lighter and less expensive Glock 17s, the guns were set to be permanently holstered. While it is customary throughout the country for departments to auction the guns to law-abiding citizens, including the police who once carried them, or donate them to another department, Honolulu opted to destroy them.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    6946:

Probably one of the better deals I've made in ages. it's almost like having a 13-shot .38.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    6946:

Probably one of the better deals I've made in ages. it's almost like having a 13-shot .38.
    That was the U.S. Customs duty gun between revolvers and the Glock 9mm's.

Maybe this is just me being stupid, but I could see one of the compact 39-series guns being worthwhile to re-introduce. Aggressive marketing towards CCW, size similar to a P239 or the P225 that SIG's coming out with as well as the Walther CCP, good QC, maybe throw M&P dovetails on the slide... It'd probably be a hit in places like California and Massachusetts, and in a lot of ways (flat, DA/SA or good DAO, G19-ish size) it makes sense as a CCW gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    Maybe this is just me being stupid, but I could see one of the compact 39-series guns being worthwhile to re-introduce. Aggressive marketing towards CCW, size similar to a P239 or the P225 that SIG's coming out with as well as the Walther CCP, good QC, maybe throw M&P dovetails on the slide... It'd probably be a hit in places like California and Massachusetts, and in a lot of ways (flat, DA/SA or good DAO, G19-ish size) it makes sense as a CCW gun.
    My understanding was the gun proposed over on M4C was a 3913/3914 with a melonite finish and possibly a light rail.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I havent seen or handled one of the shared frame guns but 10-15 years ago the 5946 had a much better trigger than the 12 -14 pound staple gun trigger in the Glock 19's. A lot of guys coming off revolvers went for the 5946 and a 3953 or a Kahr K-9 rather than the Glock. They use the NY Plus - 8lb connector with the plasctic leaf syle NY trigger spring. My recollection might be off but I seem to recall they had an orange NY spring rather than the traditional olive color.
    Orange and olive are the current "colors". The original New York springs were black and white; both produced horrendous pulls. I still have a few of those; they were in the parts box Glock supplied us in 1992 with the original T&E pistols.

Honolulu just melted down 2300 5906's to " keep them off the streets" and passed on $575,000 in potential trade in value.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...lice-firearms/
    Municipal stupidity still raises my blood pressure. "Keep them off the streets." Give me a break. Was the city's only alternative to trade-in issuing them to Crips and Bloods? So the people of Honolulu lose $600K.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My understanding was the gun proposed over on M4C was a 3913/3914 with a melonite finish and possibly a light rail.
    I cannot see S&W being able to make the 391x at a price point where it would sell. After all, the used guns in very good condition trade for as little as $400. S&W sold those guns "back in the day" for more than $600. MSRP on the 3913NL in 1990 was $640. Twenty-five years later, MSRP would have to be near $1,000. Using fed.gov inflation figures $640 in 1990 is $1,168.54 today. Figure S&W has learned enough to get the costs down to $1000 MSRP. That still has the gun with a street price of more than $800 with taxes. That is a tough sell when compared to a Glock 43.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I cannot see S&W being able to make the 391x at a price point where it would sell. After all, the used guns in very good condition trade for as little as $400. S&W sold those guns "back in the day" for more than $600. MSRP on the 3913NL in 1990 was $640. Twenty-five years later, MSRP would have to be near $1,000. Using fed.gov inflation figures $640 in 1990 is $1,168.54 today. Figure S&W has learned enough to get the costs down to $1000 MSRP. That still has the gun with a street price of more than $800 with taxes. That is a tough sell when compared to a Glock 43.
    First gun I ever purchased was a 3913 TSW without a rail. The gun served me well as my carry gun and only gun for years. I take it out and shoot it every couple of years but that's as far as she has gotten in years. Squishy DA trigger and crisp SA.

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    Not stupid at all IMO. My wife carried a 3913 for a while. Very cool gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

User Tag List