Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

edit, sorry, wrong DOTW thread.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-18-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Shot this drill with a S&W M649, Beretta 21A, Colt Combat Commander 9mm, and an
    M15 snub with two inch barrel. Shot it on two different range trips so the 649 and the
    Commander were shot cold.

M649, 158 grain reloads with Unique, Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
    Got five out of 20. Besides shooting badly due to rushing shots, I had
    a problem with glare off the stainless front sight. (Realized that afterward, of course.)
    Group was mostly high.

Also had the holster come out of the pocket with the gun a couple times. Changed to a
    different, thicker holster. The worn pocket holster is going away.

Beretta 21A .22. Ammo was .22 plated HPs. Got five hits out of 20. All fired double action.

Sights were black so no glare to speak of.
    Group was mostly low but I threw a couple left. My son complains that this gun
    "has no sights." I still think he's wrong.

Used another Uncle Mike's pocket holster and also had a couple of out of the pocket experiences.
    This gun has been a second gun, on occasion. Usually in an ankle rig.

Colt Commander 9mm six hits out of 20. This gun disappointed me. I expected better things from it.

I shot it first this morning with a Dillon OTB holster and 9mm Winchester White Box FMJs.
    Gun has Millet sights with an orange front blade. No glare issues but I rushed things again.
    Shot low mostly. Group was reasonably good but in the wrong place. Threw two right, one low,
    one left. (Maybe I should have used a .45!)

M15 snub two-inch. 16 hits out of 20. All fired double action. Same 158 grain reloads as mentioned above.

Threw one out low and right and a couple high. The first one was overconfidence. The others might have
    been the start of fatigue. No glare issues since I was later getting to the range.

Had a problem with the holster I grabbed, so picked the gun up off a plank on a barrel. Gun has stock S&W revolver sights except for orange paint on the front blade. I shot this gun almost every range trip last year and the year before. Snub M15 have a rep as "shooting like a four-inch." I can see why.

By then I was both curious and cranky about my shooting.

Unlimbered a Marlin 39A .22 lever rifle. Filled the tube mag with
    10 Remington 40 grain LRN Thunderbolts and started in on the two-inch circle from five yards.
    Filled it up again and got 19 out of 20. Dropped one low. Worked out of low ready.

The 39A has a long barrel and feels like a deer rifle. Mine came with ghost ring peep sights installed and they work really well. Just paste the front sight to what you want hit and (mostly) it gets smacked. I may have to decide my pistols are around just so I can fight my way to the M39.
    Last edited by ACP230; 08-21-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Equipment used: CZ 75
    Start position: Off bench, into high compressed ready
    Distance: 5 yd
    Total hits out of the possible twenty: 13/20

Tried this drill again since I need to work on my accuracy, trigger manipulation, and grip. Warmed up at 10 ft shooting 10 shots on the bottom circle. Hit 5 out of 10, which was disappointing. Tried a full 20 shots at 15 ft, and got 13/20. Also not great. Had 2 go low and left, but the rest that missed were just generally low. I think I'm doing something when I'm pressing trigger faster b/c I can hit almost 100% at 10 ft shooting SHO or WHO. Also, I appear to be moving my entire arms, maybe fighting recoil or something, which probably is contributing me muscling the gun down or something.

Lots to work on.

Site Supporter
    Glock 19 with Trijicon HDs and Comp-Tac paddle holster
    Started with pistol holstered and hands at sides
    Drill shot once at 5 yards and once at 10 yards

Thirteen hits out of twenty.

Five hits out of twenty.

My two most significant struggles were acquiring a consistent grip on the draw and finding the front sight. I was finding it very difficult to bring the front sight into focus rapidly once the pistol reached full extension. I had a tendency to rush breaking the shot and pull the trigger before I had consistent front sight focus.

Ran this drill again today 8/27 with a BHP and a four-inch M28 at three yards.

Ten out of 20 with the BHP Practical. (Hard to tell since the group was low and left but mostly all in one area.) Holster was a Browning thrown in with a gun. It has a thumbstrap and isn't a bad "carry in the woods holster" but moved around too much on the belt for this many draws. Ammo was PerFecta ball from Walmart. The BHP likes this stuff and it was on sale for a while. It shot lower than I remembered.
    Thought it was on in the BHP.

Sixteen out of 20 with the Highway Patrolman four-inch.
    It has Pachmayr Presentation grips and a very businesslike look.
    Used to be a duty gun in Pueblo, Colorado before it was sold off.
    Ammo was reloads with 158 grain LSWC bullets, Unique powder and mixed .38 Special brass.
    The M28 shoots the load well. (Haven't found a load that the M28 doesn't shoot well.)

The four misses were all low. I trace them to a loss of concentration.
    Thought they were good but afterward thought the front sight had looked
    different than on the other shots. All shots fired double action.

Holster was a Ted Blocker thumbbreak model. It also works fine in woods carry.
    Keeps the gun tight to the body and doesn't shift around. The thumbbreak gave
    some trouble drawing and reholstering. El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat" would have
    been a better one to grab out of the holster box.

I have carried the M28 trout fishing and not minded the weight. Today it was more
    noticeable than I remembered. Taking it to the range more might be the cure for that.

7yds, 15/20
    G19 w/ Trijicon HD Yellow, dot connector + G17 Gen 4 trigger bar, concealed in a Keeper
    American Eagle 124gr FMJ
    Four shots per circle, using the PTC target (has six 2" circles).

4/5 dropped shots were on circles three and four (last two). As I got more confident in my hits I pushed faster. It showed: circle 3 had a 6 o'clock low shot, and I don't know WTF happened on circle four.

Last edited by ssb; 08-27-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Been slacking a bunch of late on the training front. Only a couple sporadic weekly dry fire sessions and we ran a qual day at work this week. Had one local match cancelled this month and got my vacation for the Utah State Championships (USPSA) this weekend rescinded because of some short staffing stuff at work. I've been feeling a bit unmotivated as a result and my regular regiment has fallen by the wayside a bit. This was a good pure mechanics session. Coming out and shooting some of the DOTWs gave me a bit of motivation.

Shot cold from my duty gear holster (Safariland 6360)
    Stock Sig 226, my issued pistol.
    Shot the drill from 7 yards first.
    20/20.

Shot it a second time from the 10 yard line. 20/20

I didn't move back any further b/c there were some other drills I wanted to get done with limited time. One being the 4 corners drill. I'll post those results up there...

t

Tried this one last time at 3 yd today with my CZ SP-01. Ended up with 18/20, better than 17/20 the last time I tried this drill at 3yd. The groups were on the lower half of the circles, but seem to have eliminated most of the leftward drift.

Mostly need to focus on grip and not letting my misses go low, especially when I rushed the shot and press trigger faster. Definite improvement on recoil management and getting a strong base with my body (nose over toes), saw sights way better. Also really, really need to work on follow through.

Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper.

Snuck this drill in during the lunch break from class yesterday.

19/20 at 7 yards.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper.

Snuck this drill in during the lunch break from class yesterday.

19/20 at 7 yards.

Lemme guess. You had the par time set at .8?

User Tag List