Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Par time for dry-fire reloads

Par time for dry-fire reloads

Starting with slide locked back and empty magazine in, in firing stance with sight picture on you favorite dry-fire target, what part time are setting up to complete a reload and press out back on target? Say, I have modest aspirations of a 2.2-2.3 live fire reloads; what's rough estimate for dry-fire equivalent?

Doing the same type of reload practice I set my par time for about 1.8. The thing you can't take into account is say in a (IDPA) match you are at a point of cover and you are shooting around cover when slide lock occurs. Cover may add time to your reload unless you also practice that.

I've just started doing the same thing. Right now I'm working with a par time of 2 from cover. I'm successful when I do a few without the timer then start using par times. When I start cold I find that I rush, fumble and curse. If everything goes right I make par.

Been working without the timer for awhile and am now adopting Todd's strategy of, "Sometimes the fastest way to get fast is to go faster."
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I've been working on this also both with an without a timer Since I'm wrong handed, I've been dropping magazine with my middle finger on my left hand and after I pop in the new magazine, I reach under the mag with my right hand and release the slide stop with my middle finger on my right hand. This allows me to get back on target faster than coming over the top and racking the slide. Should I expect sub 2 second times being left handed?
    There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."-Ted Nugent

Site Supporter
    If done honestly, the dry-fire time should be the same as your target live fire time. If you find in much easier to meet the par time dry, then you are doing one of two things. You are either cheating on the press out by throwing the gun out and crushing through the trigger press, or, in live fire, you are slowing down when you don't need to.

I start with a time that I can comfortably do a reload, then work down to where everything falls apart. I always finish by going back to the comfortable time to restore my confidence.

Much like Joshs, I start with something I KNOW I can do every time, and start knocking tenths off until I'm on the cusp of going too fast. When I'm finishing my dry session, I do five deliberate, slow press outs and five deliberate, slow reloads focusing on fundamentals.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Starting with slide locked back and empty magazine in, in firing stance with sight picture on you favorite dry-fire target, what part time are setting up to complete a reload and press out back on target? Say, I have modest aspirations of a 2.2-2.3 live fire reloads; what's rough estimate for dry-fire equivalent?
    What's your dry fire target size and distance? Too many variables to answer without that info.

What are your FAST reload times? You do record all your FAST times and splits, don't you?
    My FAST reloads are around 2.5, I suck. I need to get on the dryfire train, too.

If you follow Steve Anderson's format and use 2.2 as a baseline, you should do 10 reps with no par, 10 reps at 2.4, 10 reps at 2.3, 10 reps at 2.2, 10 reps at 2.1 and 10 reps at 2.0.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    What's your dry fire target size and distance? Too many variables to answer without that info.

What are your FAST reload times? You do record all your FAST times and splits, don't you?
    My FAST reloads are around 2.5, I suck. I need to get on the dryfire train, too.
    Two light switches, a single and double, about 7 yards away. Didn't measure them. but looks like 5x3 and 5x5 respectively. My FAST reloads range between 2.5 and 2.7, sometimes longer. BTW, I don't consider FAST reloads to be truly indicative of reload speed, but that's a separate issue. For purposes of this discussion, let's consider reloads in a context of a FAST drill, or any other situation when you know exactly when slide-lock is going to happen.

I would not set the par time for the complete reload.
    Since you have no bullet impact feedback its easy to get sloppy on your grip, press out, sight alignment and trigger press after the reload.
    Instead I set my par time approx. 0.5 seconds faster than my shot to shot reload time.
    Begin with the slide locked open on an empty magazine, finger holding the trigger back, aimed in on a target.
    At the beep perform your reload. The goal is to have the magazine inserted and the slide dropped before the par time buzzer.
    Finish with a solid press out, sight alignment and a good trigger press.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I do NOT use a par time on Reload practice, I use my iPhone with the Surefire shot timer, the timer will pickup the slide drop and from there I do a nice press out to a reduced size target. That way I can see what each reload is.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List