Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage and 2A....

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Because all I see is the U.S. following in the footsteps of Greece.
    Yeah, I think we're following the fate of the Roman Empire. Bread and circuses for everyone! It's telling that one of the key reasons the Roman Empire fell was the printing of money/devaluation of their coin.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I think we're following the fate of the Roman Empire. Bread and circuses for everyone! It's telling that one of the key reasons the Roman Empire fell was the printing of money/devaluation of their coin.
    Actually, theories on the fall of the RE are like ass#%^^, every historian has one.

I think to compare us to Greece is frankly preposterous. Seriously?

We were supposed to crumble against the Japanese in the eighties, then the euro would replace the $, now am waiting to see what happens to China as they deal with their gigantic internal problems. We are doing just fine overall considering the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by looseduke View Post
    Actually, theories on the fall of the RE are like ass#%^^, every historian has one.

I think to compare us to Greece is frankly preposterous. Seriously?

We were supposed to crumble against the Japanese in the eighties, then the euro would replace the $, now am waiting to see what happens to China as they deal with their gigantic internal problems. We are doing just fine overall considering the rest of the world.
    I think as Sensei clarified, that we are headed onto the same path as Greece. We're not there yet but with the near inevitable election of Hillary and the Democratic party's policy of literally buying votes through increased coupled with the very real fact that jobs are disappearing from our modern world (one third of all jobs today will be replaced by robots by 2025) makes me not hopeful. Server staff are disappearing from restaurants. Cashiers are disappearing from grocery stores. Manufacturing plants are closing down and the remaining ones are getting more automated. The NLRB is trying to literally mandate where jobs are based based upon political leaning of the board itself. The $15 an hour minimum wage movement will only accelerate automation of jobs. Just wait until the military really starts upping the use of drones, you ain't seen nothing yet. Of course, people are living longer nowadays. So we will have vast masses of people being given just enough to survive and vote from their government. Nope, no hope.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This should open the door for polygamy and those who may have been interested in marrying their close relatives that have been previously denied the opportunity.
    are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    are you kidding?
    If the restrictions against gay marriage were purely arbitrary and denying rights to people, why wouldn't the same hold true for those that want multiple spouses or those that want to marry their siblings or first cousins. Why would it be in the state's interest to deny those people the same rights?

It's not my thing, but the argument is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    are you kidding?
    I agree, and this has been my argument with the Gay Marriage advocates..........why are you bigoted against Fundamentalist Mormons? Why should polygamists be denied equal protection under the law. How about Muslims with multiple wives. Once the government re-defined marriage, all bets are off.

What I would have preferred is to see the government not define "marriage" at all and make that strictly a religious definition for your individual faith or persuasion, and make Civil Unions a government recognized contract with limitations placed by individual states as to who and how many can enter into them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Man...I was just gonna write something about how my pro-gun cousin finally gets the right to marry his fiancee, but it seems a lil doom and gloom in here.

Seriously, who gives a flying flip if gay couples finally get to be legally joined?

The true meaning of marriage is in the commitment made by the participants, not in the approval of the government.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    If the restrictions against gay marriage were purely arbitrary and denying rights to people, why wouldn't the same hold true for those that want multiple spouses or those that want to marry their siblings or first cousins. Why would it be in the state's interest to deny those people the same rights?

It's not my thing, but the argument is the same.
    so I'm not huge on arguing these types of things because its my experience that most people are staunchly for or against.

the way I view it
    1) issue of relation between TWO people not a question if the morality between having multiple partners (I see this as a problem of social norms not necessarily a morality issue). People can deny it all they want but religion plays no role (or at-least it shouldn't) in how we decide to treat people within our country. Homosexuality has become more of an open discussion, thankfully, and its shame that it took us until 2015 how to treat 3.5% (9,000,000) equally under our laws of partnership. I am a straight man but one of my good friends that I served with was gay and I didn't really see the equality issue as a problem until I met him and realized how negatively some people treated him.
    2) there are noted and proven issues that arise from close relatives getting involved in relations and having children.

with that said, I understand your point of view and while I disagree I can at-least understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    The true meaning of marriage is in the commitment made by the participants, not in the approval of the government.
    Exactly why the federal government shouldn't have been involved here in the first place. They've opened up Pandora's box here. Gun rights, polygamy rights, etc are all on the table now....

I'll take my new NJ CCW rights now, please...
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Exactly why the federal government shouldn't have been involved here in the first place. They've opened up Pandora's box here. Gun rights, polygamy rights, etc are all on the table now....

I'll take my new NJ CCW rights now, please...
    Gonna be an interesting year..

User Tag List