Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northrup v City of Toledo

Northrup v City of Toledo

I'm doing research for a lesson plan I am developing and am curious if any of you guys in Ohio (Toledo area hopefully?) know anything more than what is presented in this case. From what I have read, the case is in brief at this time.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...en&as_sdt=3,34

The 1st and 2nd Amendment arguments have been dismissed on summary judgment. However, the 4th Amendment argument has been allowed to go to trial. The defendants were granted summary judgment on 4th Amendment Monell claims.

From the ruling: In sum, the Defendants cannot offer any evidence to support their argument that, by the fact of the 911 call and subsequent dispatch, Officer Bright had a reasonable suspicion that Northrup had committed a crime, was committing a crime, or was about to commit a crime. It is the jury's role to determine whether Northrup or Officer Bright offer the more believable account of their encounter. The Defendants are not entitled to summary judgment on Northrup's Fourth Amendment claims because there is a genuine dispute of material fact as to whether this incident violated Northrup's clearly established right to be free from unconstitutional searches and seizures. Additionally, the Defendants are not entitled to summary judgment on Northrup's excessive force claim, as the permissibility of the use of handcuffs, at least in part, may rise or fall on the constitutionality of the seizure.

Coming to the conclusion: For the reasons stated above, the Defendants' motion for summary judgment, (Doc. No. 24), is granted in part and denied in part. The Defendants are entitled to summary judgment on the following claims: (1) First Amendment — right to symbolic speech; (2) right to bear arms — Second Amendment and Article I, section 4 of the Ohio Constitution; (3) Fourth Amendment Monell claims; (4) state law and punitive damage claims against the Police Division of the City of Toledo; and (5) all remaining claims against Officer Comes. The Defendants are not entitled to summary judgment on the Plaintiffs' claims against Officer Bright and Sergeant Ray (1) for violation of his Fourth Amendment rights, (2) for assault, battery, wrongful arrest, and malicious prosecution under Ohio law, and (3) for punitive damages.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 01-22-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Rights CREATED by state law?

Judge needs a schooling about where rights come FROM.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-22-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Haven't heard of this before but I like it.

Let that be a lesson to the few remaining Ohio police officers who do not understand the fact that the mere open carry of a firearm (not just a handgun) does not give you a reason to treat the citizen like a criminal.

Those two Toledo cops got burned for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Haven't heard of this before but I like it.

Let that be a lesson to the few remaining Ohio police officers who do not understand the fact that the mere open carry of a firearm (not just a handgun) does not give you a reason to treat the citizen like a criminal.

Those two Toledo cops got burned for good reason.
    They have yet to be "burned". From my experience, most of these cases are settled before they actually reach trial. Most of the Plaintifs claims were dismissed. The remaining ones is where I tell my guys that they will get in a bind. Similar situation from a Federal District court case in NM a few years ago.

http://www.examiner.com/article/fede...-carrying-guns

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    They have yet to be "burned". From my experience, most of these cases are settled before they actually reach trial. Most of the Plaintifs claims were dismissed. The remaining ones is where I tell my guys that they will get in a bind.
    Plaintiff using the same tactics used by prosecutors. Good on him.

It's too bad the guy is probably not wealthy. If he were, he should reject any settlement and go full court press to trial.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I'm doing research for a lesson plan I am developing and am curious if any of you guys in Ohio (Toledo area hopefully?) know anything more than what is presented in this case. From what I have read, the case is in brief at this time.
    I have the original complaint and motion for summary judgment. I can provide them via email if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Rights CREATED by state law?

Judge needs a schooling about where rights come FROM.
    The judge is citing a 6th Circuit precedent that he is legally bound to follow.

What would you like to know to assist in your research?

Quote Originally Posted by ProtectGunRights View Post
    What would you like to know to assist in your research?
    Josh provided me with what I need thus far. Now Im sitting back and waiting to see what happens next. Im sure the case will be settled as others have been before it ever goes to trial.

This is a good case for firearm advocates. It is important because it allows those individuals that might not want to apply or might not qualify for a concealed carry license to carry openly. While some of you might think it is "stupid" it may be the only manner in which an individual may lawfully carry. There are provisions in the Ohio Concealed Carry law that prevent lawful firearm owners from obtaining a concealed carry license. It is also important to note, some individuals do not want to be in the governmental databases maintained of concealed carry license holders.

Moreover, Mr. Northrup did not have his cell phone anywhere near his holstered firearm. He made no "furtive" movements towards his firearm as alleged by the police officer, but that is what created the disputed fact. Additionally, this case was an interlocutory appeal on the narrow issue whether Officer Bright was entitled to statutory immunity. Mr. Northrup is not permitted to appeal the other issues on summary judgment until after the trial on the merits.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtectGunRights View Post
    This is a good case for firearm advocates. It is important because it allows those individuals that might not want to apply or might not qualify for a concealed carry license to carry openly. While some of you might think it is "stupid" it may be the only manner in which an individual may lawfully carry. There are provisions in the Ohio Concealed Carry law that prevent lawful firearm owners from obtaining a concealed carry license. It is also important to note, some individuals do not want to be in the governmental databases maintained of concealed carry license holders.

Moreover, Mr. Northrup did not have his cell phone anywhere near his holstered firearm. He made no "furtive" movements towards his firearm as alleged by the police officer, but that is what created the disputed fact. Additionally, this case was an interlocutory appeal on the narrow issue whether Officer Bright was entitled to statutory immunity. Mr. Northrup is not permitted to appeal the other issues on summary judgment until after the trial on the merits.
    The 6th Circuit heard an the interlocutory right? A panel? Who? Has either side requested en banc?

Did the district judge grant SJ on those issues that the 6th said the State was not entitled to one?

User Tag List