Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1sthand commentary from someone who defended himself in a home invasion attempt

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
    I did not sit and line up a shot if that's sort of what you're asking. I made a judgement call on the spot. The BG was approximately 7 feet from me and closing and at that distance and closing there's more of a risk of a bullet passing right through and it not slowing them down at all, either due to adrenalin, drugs, or whatever reason. I needed to use the least amount of force in the least amount of time in order to stop the target and transition to the next.

While there's many who would comment that I made the wrong decision, it worked as expected and I'm alive to tell about it. As with most situations like this, there will be a lot of SME's who haven't actually experienced it but make an opinion based on other factors. In this case, I can tell you what specifically worked in my situation. Adaptation is the key here. Each event could require a different response.
    Thanks for the reply. Absolutely NO second guessing here just respect for your ability to prevail in a very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    My heartfelt condolences.
    THX.

Mike,

Thanks for sharing!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have see that type of film... But what is holding the glass into the frame. If the film only goes to the edge of the metal frame, then there is bare glass going into a notch in the frame. It is not protected. I think if the film was on the entirety of the glass before the door as assembled, it would be strong. But if it is applied like window tint after assembly, I can't see it being as strong due to the UN coated glass in the recess of the frame.

I would like to see an independent video test, done by someone other than the mfg or someone trying to sell the product.

I would think a plexiglass type replacement door would be stronger than an aftermarket attempt to reinforce tempered glass... But I have no real expertise on the matter.
    What about buying hurricane rated windows? They are extremely difficult to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

A gun used in a fatal shooting will be tied up for at least awhile as evidence, and the gang members making threats thing is a very real issue.
    Yeap. My duty weapon was held in evidence for 2.5 years. Anyone who carries a weapon needs an identical second one to immediately replace the one that will be seized.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    P-F isn't like most other forums. True SMEs here and most members have seen the elephant, or in one valued member, the Moose.

My heartfelt condolences.
    I've noticed. I rather enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Absolutely NO second guessing here just respect for your ability to prevail in a very bad situation.

THX.
    My pleasure. I wasn't insinuating that you were second guessing, I actually am asked quite often why I made the decision to take the shot I did instead of COM. I receive varying responses and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for sharing!

Ken
    Ken, my pleasure! Anything I can do to help others learn from it.

"The BG was approximately 7 feet from me and closing and at that distance and closing there's more of a risk of a bullet passing right through and it not slowing them down at all, either due to adrenalin, drugs, or whatever reason."
    You made the absolute perfect targeting choice for the situation at hand--well done.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You made the absolute perfect targeting choice for the situation at hand--well done.
    Thank you, Sir. Appreciate that coming from you.

Ref the window film, it works, and rather well, when installed properly, as in it will bounce a thrown brick back into your face if you throw it hard enough. I've seen that on surveillance video.

However, as noted, it should be installed with the glass so that it is inside the frame for maximum effectiveness.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Yeap. My duty weapon was held in evidence for 2.5 years. Anyone who carries a weapon needs an identical second one to immediately replace the one that will be seized.
    I'm curious how this works in anti-gun jurisdictions. I'd imagine a self defense case in LA/DC/NYC/Boston means the defenders gun goes bye bye for good. Hopefully that's an incorrect assessment.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'm curious how this works in anti-gun jurisdictions. I'd imagine a self defense case in LA/DC/NYC/Boston means the defenders gun goes bye bye for good. Hopefully that's an incorrect assessment.
    Many DAs only like to keep evidence as long as the statute of limitations is still active for a potential case.

Let's say there is a robbery, you have some evidence but not a bad guy, a bad guy might develop later, you keep the evidence for as long as you can make a case. Locally, depending on the type of charges, the statute of limitations may be 2 or 5 years. After that there is no reason to keep the evidence as one can not make a case, and property rooms are typically needing room badly.

The issue becomes one of not approving of defensive gun uses, and that homicide cases have no statute of limitations. A asshole DA's office could argue for keeping the "evidence" forever. I've heard of several cases where the good guy either wrote the gun off, or went through a long court drama to get it back.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List