Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The perfect packing revolver. A quest.

The Watch!

CRAP! I knew I had been missing something. Does it count that for a while I carried a big assed sharp knife?
    Never mind the fact that never, not even once did I get a chance to get all pokey pokey-stabby stabby with the thing..
    Eventually I got tired of the weight and went back to my Emerson folder, at 1/3 the weight.

Back a couple decades ago, it was the watch that was really the way to know who was who in the zoo. Mine was a 21st Birthday present to me. At the time where I was working all the cool guys wore Rolex's. All the San Diego PD SWAT cops, all the older SEAL's, all the spooks and the high speed Feds. When I used to go to the Soldier of Fortune convention, the easiest way to separate out the phonies from real guys was easy. Real guys-khaki pants, polo shirt, Rolex, custom folder (usually an Emerson or Terzoula). Phony-tiger stripe camo outfit, face paint, lots of Vietnam type patches, always in a secret unit they couldn't talk about while wearing their show costume.

To this day, I usually look at watches as an indicator. This was especially true in SoCal when doing the protection stuff. A lot of very influential people dressed like beach bums......guy in flip flops, shorts a surfer t-shirt and two tone gold Rolex is usually not a real beach bum.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    custom folder (usually an Emerson or Terzoula).
    Trying to trade my way into a Terzuola ATCF or Eagle Rock for a while now.

Back a couple decades ago, it was the watch that was really the way to know who was who in the zoo.
    Must have been a regional thing. Near the height of my "coolness" (FTU supervisor, one of four architects of our SWAT program, etc., etc.) I was given a Submariner like yours- a NIB example, BTW. It was big, heavy, and didn't keep time worth a shit. But I struggled through all of that, because, you know… cool. The only other guy I knew who wore one regularly was a deputy sheriff in north Louisiana; excellent cop, good guy, but not a drop of HSLD in him. Mine was coveted by some; when I got alerted for Desert Storm, several of my "buddies" insisted that I will that watch to them; plus, I had just gotten a new unit (which of course I had to turn in) and these "buddies" were trampling each other to get my new state ride assigned to them. What pals, eh? I should note here that LSP552 was NOT one of the vultures circling… he was properly concerned, bless his heart.

Anyway, got past all of that, made it home, and then found out you were supposed to have a certified Rolex mechanic do a COA (Clean/oil/adjust) annually… at one hundred bucks a pop. I sold that puppy faster than a cat can lick its ass.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Must have been a regional thing. Near the height of my "coolness" (FTU supervisor, one of four architects of our SWAT program, etc., etc.) I was given a Submariner like yours- a NIB example, BTW. It was big, heavy, and didn't keep time worth a shit. But I struggled through all of that, because, you know… cool. The only other guy I knew who wore one regularly was a deputy sheriff in north Louisiana; excellent cop, good guy, but not a drop of HSLD in him. Mine was coveted by some; when I got alerted for Desert Storm, several of my "buddies" insisted that I will that watch to them; plus, I had just gotten a new unit (which of course I had to turn in) and these "buddies" were trampling each other to get my new state ride assigned to them. What pals, eh? I should note here that LSP552 was NOT one of the vultures circling… he was properly concerned, bless his heart.

I had a TAG Professional, why would I have wanted your old Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I had a TAG Professional, why would I have wanted your old Rolex?
    That's right; forgot about that. You probably had a new unit too, now that I think about it. And all along, I thought you were sensitive to my plight… another icon falls.

I've got Rolex taste on G-Shock pay.

You know you've done your time as the 'hood street cop when you could break a G-Shock.

Three kids later I've been downgraded to the Timex Ironman....
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Mine is actually a GMT as I knew I would never be a diving guy. I don't float. When they were drown proofing us in the academy I sat on the bottom of the pool with the black body-builder. I knew I was destined to be a flying guy, thus GMT rather than Submariner.

I didn't do the annual stuff. Mine has been back to Switzerland twice at about $400 a pop and I just had a guy here in the US rebuild it. Considering I never take it off, including in the water and showers, that is not bad. It has taken a massive amount of abuse in the cop years. I actually lost it once on the interstate 10 freeway. I caved some idiots skull in who ran from a felony stop and while they were stitching his head up at the hospital I noticed the doctor was wearing a Rolex. Looked down and noticed mine was gone. My patrol bros were laughing when I made the panic'd radio call. They had found it on the side of the freeway and knew I was the only guy who wore one. The department made me sign a waiver that they would not have to fix or replace my watch if it got lost or damaged at work. Made it through and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

The department made me sign a waiver that they would not have to fix or replace my watch if it got lost or damaged at work.
    Seriously? The Deputy Superintendent would have had me committed if I made a claim like that.

Of course, I hear Kalifornia has "stress pensions"… so I guess filing a claim for a busted watch isn't out of the norm...

Actually, they were really good about replacing stuff you ruined or broke on duty due to fights and general cop stuff. Watches, flashlights, and uniforms. The biggie for me was uniforms. I was brutal on uniforms....because I actually would climb fences to check alarm calls and stuff like that. This was more due to our union contracts than the benevolence of the city.

I am sure I was the reason listed for supervisors trying to get a stress pension so most of their retirement would be tax free.....

User Tag List