Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Class, Police Trades, and Carry Position.

Vending Machine Operator
    The G23 Gen 3 is a fairly loathed gun on this forum - for some well articulated reasons, no doubt, but I will say as a sample of one that I absolutely love mine (police trade in Duxbury, MA PD 49) and I shoot very well with it after 400 rounds or so. Recoil is entirely reasonable to me - practically creampuff recoil compared to my Smith J-frame and about on par with my Beretta Cougar 8040. My opinion may change when get my G19 Gen 4 but I've had my G23 for 2 months and I'm shooting consistently better than with the Beretta PX4 I've had for 6 years or the 92FS I've had for 1 year.

I really like my G23. Guess I have to be the hipster that disagrees just to be disagreeable.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Pretty good deal on .40 P226 police trade ins. To bad they have the DAK trigger, but that's replaceable.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/226-40-dak...l#.VTulBSFViko

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Pretty good deal on .40 P226 police trade ins. To bad they have the DAK trigger, but that's replaceable.

Also an option: http://summitgunbroker.com/p226-40.html

$150 more money, but already has the DA/SA trigger, has two magazines, and E2 grips (if that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you).

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post

$399 for a 226! Why would you do that to me?!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I'd buy a Glock 19 Gen 4 (used or new) for $550.
    A wilderness tactical belt for $35.
    A holster from CCC or JM custom for $60-80.
    Quality sights for $120.
    Then I'd save for a class and ammo.

Is the offering of 1k of 40 S&W awesome? Yes.
    However, don't get in a platform that is being abandoned (there's a reason used guns are everywhere) to save a few bucks. Also, 9mm is cheaper, and as .40S&W is left more and more in the dust; the ammo will only get more expensive and harder to find.

That's my advice. I've owned 3 carry guns since starting CC'ing about 5 years ago, and I was offered to start with a Glock 19 and refused. About two thousand dollars in guns/accessories and years later here I am.

God bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    However, don't get in a platform that is being abandoned (there's a reason used guns are everywhere) to save a few bucks. Also, 9mm is cheaper, and as .40S&W is left more and more in the dust; the ammo will only get more expensive and harder to find.
    Since he's got access to a reloader and brass, I doubt that's ever an issue even if you accept the premise that the .40 is a dying caliber. I'd say rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated, personally.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Since he's got access to a reloader and brass, I doubt that's ever an issue even if you accept the premise that the .40 is a dying caliber. I'd say rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated, personally.
    Here's another thing to consider. There are more 9mm platforms from Glock (ETA: Also by other brands by far). If you can shoot a .40 S&W fast you can shoot a 9mm faster, and you have more bullets within the platform.

If you think the FBI among others leaving .40 S&W for 9mm, and the USMC approving the Glock 19 isn't a big deal.

To offer an alternative view on the significance of the FBI's departure. How many departments used .40 S&W before it was adopted by the FBI versus after?

Their testing after the FBI Miami shoot out was what lead to their declaration of the inadequacy of the 9mm.

The FBI was the catalyst of the wide spread adoption and common acceptance of the .40 S&W over 9mm.

The FBI's ballistic standards are what everyone else bases their standards off of, and many organizations use their data to make their purchasing decisions.

I'm not saying .40 S&W is worthless, but I am saying; do yourself a favor and buy a 9mm platform.
    Last edited by BWT; 04-28-2015 at 11:54 PM.

The FBI quit carrying .357 magnum a long time ago. I can still find it at about every gun shop, I can get reloading components everywhere, etc. When was the last time they carried a .45? Right. Doesn't seem like its dried up, either.

I know the 9mm bandwagon is hot right now because the FBI has decided to go back to it. I also remember the bandwagon for the .357 Sig. I'm sure there are folks here who recall the .41 Magnum's attempts at main stream use. They'll come and go, and there'll be some new wunder cartridge in a few years. Once a caliber is as widespread as the .40 is today, it isn't going anywhere any more than .38 special/.357 magnum, 9mm, or .45 ACP are regardless of what the FBI decides to use.

Thanks again to everyone for your input thusfar. Through this forum I was able to connect with another member who is also an instructor and lives relatively close by who has agreed to offer me some basic pistol training free of charge to get me started. I have since decided to utilize my training budget and take the recommendation to obtain a 9mm platform as that was really what my desire was but I couldn't get past the free 40 ammo. I was able to get a LNIB Glock 17 Gen3 from a local LEO who bought it as a blue label purchase to supplement training with his duty issue G22 only to find that he really didn't need/want it. It looks great and still has the copper grease from the factory on it. He claims that only 150 rounds have been through it. For $500 it came with XS Big Dot night sights and 200 rounds. Not bad!

Now to just get a quality holster, belt, and some more ammo and I will be ready to train. I will definitely look at the options mentioned.

You made a wise decision, IMO. Nice job. And it sounds like you're getting squared away with a good local watchful eye too.

As an aside, I might ask the local LEO fellow if he still has the original steel sights for the 17 and if he might be willing to include them. (hint, hint)

t

User Tag List