Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm gel test: Underwood 115 gr Lehigh Extreme Penetrator (and S&B 115 gr FMJ)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In what way, so I know what to look for?
    Like Chuck says, sometimes you get boxes that seem pretty hot (generally Fiocchi used to be always pretty hot in my experience), and sometimes it feels like it was loaded by Wolf--you are lucky the slide operates. However, I haven't seen it vary all that much within a box, so if you test a bunch for each box and they seem ok you are probably good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1 I was just shooting the S&B 140 gr fmj flatpoint. Felt very hot. It's the genre if not Fiocchi solely.
    Yes. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that they cranked up their production for the 2013 ammo shortage and QC was compromised.

The good news is that with both metals prices and the Euro coming down, European ammo is about to get even cheaper in the US. Quality might not be great, but I think there is a decent chance that non-Russian 9mm will be available at less than $200 per 1000 again at SGammo within 6 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    MAC did a test of the same manufacturer/design in .380.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40

The penetration results here aren't totally crazy. I wonder if this would be more viable for self defense than the 9mm load?
    So did Shooting the Bull 410

The conclusion is pretty much if you can't carrying hollow points, this might be good option for 380.

It seems that doesn't apply to the 9mm round. I was hoping that it might be a solution for SF and NJ folks.

I'm certainly no expert, hopefully Doc can chime in, but I'm reasonably confident that the .380 results are just showing a little extra TSC and that the actual wound would be no larger than FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    I'm certainly no expert, hopefully Doc can chime in, but I'm reasonably confident that the .380 results are just showing a little extra TSC and that the actual wound would be no larger than FMJ.
    When the other choices are way over penetrating FMJ and under penetrating EFMJ. Which would you choose based on the ShootingtheBull, and MAC tests?

With .380 I care not for wound channel dia. Just go deep.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    When the other choices are way over penetrating FMJ and under penetrating EFMJ. Which would you choose based on the ShootingtheBull, and MAC tests?
    Hard to say. I don't own a .380. I guess I'd probably just choose the heaviest (longest) FMJ I could find and hope for yaw. It's real hard to justify a .380 pistol with so many good 9mm choices available today.

User Tag List