Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Guns on Discovery

American Guns on Discovery

Any see the new show on Discovery tonight called American Guns?

I thought the show overall was much better than the Sons of Guns.

Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  21.4 KB

Got to be a lot of satisfaction in taking a block of brass, steel, etc and turning it into a gun.

Check it out if you haven't - http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-guns/
    Randy P.

About Me

I took my first class from Rich Wyatt to get my concealed permit. At that time Colorado made it difficult to get your permit but Rich had a good process to make it happen. He was pretty down to earth and as an ex-police officer was knowledgeable about what to do after things hit the fan.

He is also a big Cooper fan which meant 1911's and scout rifles were their specialty.

I will have to check out the show.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I like the show because

1. He can speak well and half way act...along with his family and employees (sons of guns have problems with that)
    2. His store looks awesome as well as his custom work
    3. He just took 20k in cash and bought six Winchesters from a local rancher who was selling some of his collection
    Randy P.

About Me

Quote Originally Posted by randypollock View Post
    I like the show because

1. Jailbait daughter
    Fixed it for you
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

The mom should really get a refund on those bolt-ons though.

Trailer looked good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The episode I watched the other night was mildly entertaining but not sure where they found those gunsmiths. Back when I took the class they had a guy in there that really knew his stuff. Who knows, probably just an act.

It was better than Sons of Guns in my opinion.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    It was better than Sons of Guns in my opinion.
    It's better than Sons of Guns in the same way that being slapped in the face is better than being punched in the testicles.

I find the show nowhere near as annoying as SOG....which apparently Discovery has decreed must be on television every time I walk through the doors of the gym...but I still find it cringe-worthy at times. I can't imagine letting my minor daughter wear such revealing clothing.

I watched the first episode, and did not care for it at all.
    I wanted to like it, I really did. I thought the custom gun work would be extremely interesting (and it was, what little there was of it shown), but I guess I'll be sticking to How It's Made for my machine pron.

The conflicts looked contrived, and seemed to have more to do with making the owner look good at his employee's expense than anything else. I'd bet my last round of 9mm that the "head gunsmith" knew damn well what a rimfire firing pin is supposed to look like, and inspects every part before fitting it. Also, there's no way the machinist who kept breaking tools and screwed up the first draft of the knuckle-thingy so royally is really that bad. The one tool that they showed actually break was almost certainly done on purpose. Apparently, the best way to machine stainless steel is to rapid the tool into the workpiece, and don't use coolant. Is that how you machine stainless, Bionic Barry? No it is NOT, other Barry. That's not ignorance, it's deliberate misinformation.

That's just the machining stuff; I disliked the rest of the show too. Although I am glad they talked briefly about 4473's and such in a serious manner, I feel like overall they make the shooting population look like cartoons.

In short, I won't be watching it anymore, and Rich strikes me as a grade-A douche. I'll be happy to revise both opinions at a later time, given cause.

I'm not a fan of Sons of Guns either, only seen a couple of them.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Bobbi had this on last night. They were buying some dude's milsurp collection. I couldn't pay attention.

"Hey, Tam! Wanna watch this new show? It's called Another Day At The Office! It's about working at an FFL for a pennywise small businessman, dealing with annoying customers who don't know a firing pin from a full metal jacket, employee drama, and federal regulations!"

I watched that show for eight hours a day, pretty much from '93 to '07; can't we watch something exciting instead, like golf?

Regarding the gunsmithing stuff. The Sons of Guns concept was originally pitched to the owner of a shop at which I worked. The gunsmiths expressed the opinion that it would be pretty hard to film a show about gunsmithing with no gunsmiths, which would certainly be the case if cameras were brought in while they were trying to work. The production company went elsewhere.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List