Thread: Muzzle blast sets off rounds in box

Site Supporter

Muzzle blast sets off rounds in box

Ever hear of this? At today's match, we were talking about ammo caused booboos. Usually it was a double loaded home brew that blew up a gun. A guy I've seen shoot for years told us this one.

He was taking the TX CHL test and shooting from behind a taller bench. He had a box of ammo open (styrofoam holding the rounds). Thus, the gun muzzle was close to the box. When he fired a round, he felt a boom and shrapnel. Thought the gun blew but the muzzle blast over the rounds, set about 5 of them off and the casings flew up and tagged him. Said he had Winchester imprinted backwards in his flesh.

Weird - and I have no reason to think he would make this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ever hear of this? At today's match, we were talking about ammo caused booboos. Usually it was a double loaded home brew that blew up a gun. A guy I've seen shoot for years told us this one.

He was taking the TX CHL test and shooting from behind a taller bench. He had a box of ammo open (styrofoam holding the rounds). Thus, the gun muzzle was close to the box. When he fired a round, he felt a boom and shrapnel. Thought the gun blew but the muzzle blast over the rounds, set about 5 of them off and the casings flew up and tagged him. Said he had Winchester imprinted backwards in his flesh.

Weird - and I have no reason to think he would make this up.
    Maybe some Spall or jacket material or something hit the primers?

Is he a reloader? Any chance some stray powder got into the box?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    This would be a good test for MythBusters. I've heard a similar story regarding a centerfire pistol round going off and I can full of loose ammo.

I'd be curious what caliber he was firing and whether it was a semi auto or a revolver. I can say that I have personally witnessed muzzle blast from 40 Cal pistols and 223 rifles shatter the back windows of cars while using them for cover on the range so I guess it is possible.

Site Supporter
    Probably was a semi in 45 ACP but I'll ask the next time I see him. He's a fun guy and shoots a Garand and a 1911 in a WWII rig at the carbine matches.

Rarely does anyone take the TX CHL test with a revolver nowadays.

User Tag List