Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSA PTT Bonded vs. Winchester RA556B

The problem is that it is about as aerodynamic as a brick, with a BC of 0.175 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The problem is that it is about as aerodynamic as a brick, with a BC of 0.175 or so.
    I'd like to revise this. The person who tested it tested it at 15 feet and then 50 yards, and extrapolated a BC based on chronograph data. Moving the chronograph to 100 yards, they obtained a BC of 0.195. This implies that it may further increase as the bullet flies further and more flight-time is recorded and thus data error lessened yet further, I don't know. Regardless, this puts it on point pretty close with MK262 out to a distance beyond which is can accurately be fired into a deer (or person's) kill-zone in the thoracic cavity, based on 2 MOA group size assumption, which I have found to be typical of bonded bullets other than Speer.

I am curious to know, though, if the leading of feed ramps and subsequent malfunction has occurred with the Nosler bullet as Dr. Roberts has indicated that it has with other JSP's in the past when used in training with 2-300+ rounds being fired without cleaning.

Nope. The bonded bullets tend to not have as many issues as the older JSP's.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Nope. The bonded bullets tend to not have as many issues as the older JSP's.
    Solid. If they did, I would have wondered at the FBI's choice, but I still wanted to ask.

The velocities I have seen people getting out of the RA556B loading are .223 pressure velocities. Can you confirm if it's really and truly a 5.56 loading? It runs 100fps slower than FBI556T3, on average, from what I'm seeing. What's up with that?
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 02-01-2015 at 12:21 PM.

User Tag List