Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    The 6.8, 6.5 and .300 Blackout are all interesting calibers, but for defensive purposes my view is that us non-LEO civilians are probably generally better off with a 5.56, a semi-auto or pump shotgun and a 9 mm pistol.

Among other things, standardized ammo, and the weapons for which it is standardized, tend, as mentioned above, to be more reliable and they also tend to be cheaper--which allows for much more training.

Agreed. I have several friends who are deep into the six-point-whatever thing; and while I haven't been to the range with them, I have to wonder how much of the accolades they heap upon their chosen caliber is self-justification?

I actually looked into "going bigger"; first with the .45 calibers, then Mekong Match, and finally the 6mms. It all came down to relaibility/magazine issues with the 7.62X39 examples, and ammunition availability for the others. The situation may have changed, but at that time ammunition for the .45s and 6mm offerings was pretty much a DIY proposition... and while I gladly reload pistol ammo for casual practice, no way I have the patience these days to carefully craft good rifle ammunition.

There have been several mentions in this thread regarding personal situations, needs, and already-to-hand "tools"... all of which are spot-on and relevant, IMO. For some time now, my "survival plan" has revolved around "Bugging IN". While I find the 6mm ARs interesting, I'm betting that my poodle-shooter ARs and M1 Garand will do what I need done, as long as I am able to do it.

Front porch gun racks, anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    So now I'm gonna throw everyone for a loop,what about a reliable g2 recon in .308 with a muzzlebrake in a 16" barrel? More food for thought,curious to see everyone's input
    For most of us, "reliable" and "DPMS" aren't ever going to go hand-in-hand (your subsequently-mentioned sample of one notwhithstanding). Neither, for me, will a muzzle brake of any sort on a "practical" use rifle, doubly so in .308.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    There have been several mentions in this thread regarding personal situations, needs, and already-to-hand "tools"... all of which are spot-on and relevant, IMO. For some time now, my "survival plan" has revolved around "Bugging IN". While I find the 6mm ARs interesting, I'm betting that my poodle-shooter ARs and M1 Garand will do what I need done, as long as I am able to do it.
    There is a HIGH level of because:fiddle-fart involved in these endeavors, not to mention a lot of Emperor's New Clothes. But thank God for them. Without the Pioneers, there can be no Settlers, but remember that for every Pioneer that history remembers for finding the bountiful valley there are two dozen that wandered into an Indian camp and got scalped.

For me, when all things are considered and MY situation is rationally evaluated, there isn't a reason I *need* anything more than a Glock 19 and a Colt 6720 for, and neither requires any sort of fiddle-fart beyond upgrading the sighting systems, and even that is debatable. I can hunt, CCW, plink, compete (and both win and lose), defend my home, plan for my SHTFantasy, whatever. All with those two guns.

As nyeti said, either in this thread or elsewhere, there is a difference between the "serious use" guns and the because:fun guns. Although many have a hard time differentiating the two after awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For most of us, "reliable" and "DPMS" aren't ever going to go hand-in-hand (your subsequently-mentioned sample of one notwhithstanding). Neither, for me, will a muzzle brake of any sort on a "practical" use rifle, doubly so in .308.
    There are 3 other officers I know who use the DPMS .308s for personal use, duty, and some competition. Seems like every time I run into them their rifle is out of action for one reason or a other, or is experiencing problems. All 3 are very competent armorers and have built a few rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    There are 3 other officers I know who use the DPMS .308s for personal use, duty, and some competition. Seems like every time I run into them their rifle is out of action for one reason or a other, or is experiencing problems. All 3 are very competent armorers and have built a few rifles.
    For those that remember "the chart", seeing guns like DPMS, Oly, etc. going down at matches and classes more than the Colts that other people were shooting is what gave rise to my wanting to get to the bottom of why, under the theory that something must be different in the materials, testing, or assembly process to explain it. As it turns out, it was all three.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For those that remember "the chart", seeing guns like DPMS, Oly, etc. going down at matches and classes more than the Colts that other people were shooting is what gave rise to my wanting to get to the bottom of why, under the theory that something must be different in the materials, testing, or assembly process to explain it. As it turns out, it was all three.
    hmmm keep mine lubed with slip2000 ewl and never had an issue,shoots reloads and factory ammo just fine,3,000 plus rounds in all sorts of weather and still runs like a champ

There is a whole lotta difference between putting 3000 rounds through a rifle over several years, versus putting 3000 rounds a week through one for 6 consecutive weeks in a demanding training environment--a lot of AR15's can do the first task, very few make it through the second...

FWIW, I am with Jeep--I could easily get through the rest of my life with a G19, 870, AR15, and a longer range .30 cal rifle of some sort.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have been on the road to 6.8 for a while now, and this thread has me reconsidering that decision.

My purpose was un-suppressed use in a 16" barrel (i.e., 300BLK was ruled out as a result) for the following:

1st for a medium-sized game hunting cartridge and
    2nd for some sort of match-type shooting, with a reasonable expectation of 1-1.5 moa

A distant 3rd would be the home defender, but I honestly have the other pistol/shotgun/rifle options mentioned here before I got to a 6.X rifle. I would say the accuracy comments regarding 6.8 have really turned me off to it and got me more thinking about 6.5G.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I have been on the road to 6.8 for a while now, and this thread has me reconsidering that decision.

My purpose was un-suppressed use in a 16" barrel (i.e., 300BLK was ruled out as a result) for the following:

2nd for some sort of match-type shooting, with a reasonable expectation of 1-1.5 moa

A distant 3rd would be the home defender, but I honestly have the other pistol/shotgun/rifle options mentioned here before I got to a 6.X rifle. I would say the accuracy comments regarding 6.8 have really turned me off to it and got me more thinking about 6.5G.
    You should be able to rather easily find a 1-1.5 MOA 6.8 SPC. It's not that inaccurate of a round. The 6.5G people are more often looking for .25-1 MOA rifles. Also, the 6.5 and 6.8 are more short barrel friendly than the 5.56, so there's less reason (velocity) to go over a 16" barrel in either.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post

I started down that road. I was also interested in suppressing it so I ordered up a Noveske upper with a Switchblock and stainless barrel. Once it was in my hands, I figured out that *for me* a .308 bolt gun (initially I bought a Winchester M70) and a 5.56 AR would do it better, for less, without introducing deviations into my system. I sent the Noveske back.

I still wound up with a 6.8 barrel, that I built into an upper, that I've not ever really done anything with just because I had the upper and handguard and the barrel came up super cheap meaning I only had to really pay retail for the bolt.

User Tag List