Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The "5" Challenge

We are diminished
    Shot this cold tonight. G17 gen4, 115gr Blazer TMJ, CCC Shaggy, CCC BMC, untucked pistol-training.com polo (guaranteed to take 1sec off your FAST times!).

5 runs, 25 hits.
    1. 2.57 total, 1.37 first shot
    2. 2.33 total, 1.33 first shot
    3. 2.41 total, 1.32 first shot
    4. 2.48 total, 1.35 first shot
    5. 2.39 total, 1.47 first shot

Average was 2.44 seconds. I'd like to say I was being extra careful and taking my time, but some of the shots were close enough to the edge that I wouldn't promise I could do it under 2.5 on demand.

Actually, I think there are a lot of interesting variations of this drill that we could play with. Someone commented on my site that it could be done on 2" circles, so I gave that a whirl:

Six runs, I had four misses.
    Average time: 4.16 seconds
    Average time on clean runs (three out of six): 4.32 seconds

Obviously, not something I would guarantee 100% hits under 5 seconds. The 2" was more challenge than I could muster tonight, that's for sure.

Just back from two days moose hunting, and I carried a Scandium Smith in a chest rig as a back-up to my .375 H&H. Not sure I dare to do this drill five times, or even more than once, as my Scandium is a 329 with Garrett .44 magnum Defender loads.

Ran this drill today. Should have kept better track, but it's been a good drill to help me with the new to me, P30LS V1. Will keep better track of times next week & run it with old trusty G19.

Fastest Clean 2.74
    Slowest Clean 3.04
    Last edited by l8apex; 09-12-2011 at 12:41 AM.

To encourage also 'not so advanced' shooters, I'll present also my results
    I made 2 series from different carry conditions.

Gun: G26, Pearce +2 Mag Extender, Glock Tritium Sights
    Ammo: MFS TFMJ 9g/139gr
    Timer: Shot Timer Pro for Android

1st set - IWB
    Holster: IWB Blade-Tech Phantom
    Cover Garment: Polo
    5 runs (3 clean), 23 hits.

Fastest Draw 2.55
    Fastest Clean 4.70

Slowest Clean 4.88
    Average all 4.83

2nd set - OWB
    Holster: OWB Blade-Tech Injection Molded w/ paddle
    Cover Garment: n/a
    5 runs (4 clean), 24 hits.

Fastest Draw 2.25
    Fastest Clean 4.16

Slowest Clean 4.46
    Average all 4.27

Note: The drills were shot at 5m (5.5 yards) as I forgot to convert your 'proper units of measure' to mine ("Corrupt and Broken" part of the world ).

Five runs clean
    Average time 3.6 seconds
    First shot from cover 2+ seconds
    Blade-tec paddle IDPA holster
    Covered by a vest
    G17
    W-S green fiber optic FS
    115 grain WWB
    Age 60+

Will try for more speed on another day.

May try G-26

Site Supporter
    GermanSynergy and I ran this drill today. Both of us shoot Glock 17s from AIWB.

GS's time:
    5 Iterations: 2.93s average
    (4) Clean
    (1) -1

JV's time:
    5 Iterations: 2.94s average
    (5) Clean

Ran this with a S&W 340 PD firing WWB 130 grain .38 Special loads from high and low ready. Average time was about 3.5 seconds clean. Backed up to 8 yards and had a few off the circle, though still in time and on paper.

Fun drill - shot it cold.

Buddy and I both ran this drill last weekend. We were both open carrying in open top leather holsters and were able to shoot the drill in 3.5-4.1 seconds clean every time. Interesting drill. We moved it to 10 yards and everything went to hell. Much more challenging at 30 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Simms65 View Post
    Buddy and I both ran this drill last weekend. We were both open carrying in open top leather holsters and were able to shoot the drill in 3.5-4.1 seconds clean every time. Interesting drill. We moved it to 10 yards and everything went to hell. Much more challenging at 30 ft.
    German Synergy and I did it from concealment at 25' and like you said, it was much harder. We ended up both making the times but dropping about 4 shots outside of the circle total.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I had a lot more misses than I would have liked, but it was hard to dial it back, I was lacking focus:

Gen3 17 / CCC Shaggy / Official Target

2.38 Clean
    2.43 -1
    2.26 Clean
    2.35 -1
    2.41 -1

If I was able to dial myself back to about a 2.6, I think I could do 5 clean runs. I have some things to work on.

User Tag List