Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why I like Glock pistols (when out moose hunting)

Yikes. That looks like a brown bear!

In the mid 90’s there was story of a guy that stopped a brown bear with a 9MM while fishing in Alaska. One lucky shot to the head IIRC.

I wonder if the 1076 and 1066 would have fared and well?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Was a contact shot by a patrolman while the bear was chewing on a drunk that had climbed into the bear enclosure.
    IIRC, Remsberg told us it was an off-duty Transit Authority guy who happened to be carrying his issue 4" M-10.

I agree, he shouldn't have interrupted that particular natural selection process.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    In the mid 90’s there was story of a guy that stopped a brown bear with a 9MM while fishing in Alaska. One lucky shot to the head IIRC.
    Depends on the definition of "stop?" If "stop" means make bear go away, almost any handgun that makes noise and inflicts pain may stop the attack. If "stop" means kill the bear, then it seems like the cartridge needs to be capable of penetrating the brain, or a softer area that leads to death. A native guy told me that SOP in the villages is .223 ball out of a mini-14 to the throat of a bear.

I wonder if the 1076 and 1066 would have fared and well?
    Don't know. Obviously they are stainless, relatively loose tolerance, and have mass on their side to help with reliability. The advantage of the Glock 29 is it is lightweight, there is a nice ALS holster option, and I don't worry about deep wading with it on.
    Last edited by GJM; 09-08-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Wasn't there a story here (and recently), about the fellow in Alaska who put one down (that was rampaging around his house) with a couple of rounds of 9mm… from a Hi-Point, no less?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A native guy told me that SOP in the villages is .223 ball out of a mini-14 to the throat of a bear.

Gunkid was right!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My timing was off, it was 2002. The story is no longer on the newspapers website but someone copied it to TFL.

I saw this story in another forum. Thought I'd share it here..

http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/1618619p-1736211c.html

Fisherman shoots, kills grizzly

BEAR! BEAR! Man plugs lunging bruin with 9 mm pistol on Russian River.

By Zaz Hollander
    Anchorage Daily News

(Published: August 18, 2002)
    A fisherman shot and killed a sow grizzly as she charged him in the early morning darkness Saturday on the banks of the Russian River.

The bear surprised Garen Brenner and two friends about 2:30 a.m. as they packed up their gear at one of the Kenai Peninsula's most popular fishing spots, said Larry Lewis, an Alaska Department of Fish and Game wildlife technician on the peninsula.

Brenner heard his friend yell "Bear! Bear!" and looked downriver to see the sow a few yards down the bank eyeing the friend. The bear lost interest in Brenner's friend after he backed into the water and threw his shotgun at her.

But then she turned, looked up at Brenner and lunged, said Lewis, who interviewed the three men Saturday.

Brenner fired at the center of the hulking shape closing to four or five feet away. He fired

twice. The sow, estimated at 400 to 450 pounds, went down. Then Brenner fired three more shots into her head.

He shot the bear with a 9 mm semiautomatic pistol. Lewis said such a low-caliber gun ordinarily doesn't pack enough punch to kill a bear. But Brenner loaded the pistol with full-metal-jacket bullets that penetrated to the bear's vital organs, he said.

"I think that's what saved his bacon," Lewis said.

The bear most likely was protecting her yearling cub, which waited well behind her above the steep bank, wildlife officials said.

After the shooting, the cub ran up and down the bank near its mother's body, bawling in distress. "It would stop and smell the bear, the sow, and then it would go into the water a ways, then it would come back," said Bill Shuster, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Forest Service.

Local fishing guide Brandon Maes ran into the cub as he fished the Upper Kenai River near its confluence with the Russian. The cub charged, and Maes waded across the swift, chest-deep river to an island. The bear backed off but not before charging the guide's buddies in a boat nearby.

Soon after, Lewis tranquilized the cub, tagged and collared her and moved her to the south side of Skilak Lake.

The encounter was the latest of several close calls between people and bears along Southcentral rivers and streams. The Russian is thick with spawned-out sockeye that draw bears.

Authorities are looking into whether the dead bear is the same sow that attacked a Soldotna mother and son hiking Resurrection Pass Trail on Friday afternoon about three miles from Cooper Landing.

That bear, also accompanied by a cub, raked the mother's face with her claws and bit the son.

Nonetheless, people going into Gwin's store expressed dismay Saturday that Brenner killed the brown bear, said Linda Krack, a Washington state resident working there on Saturday.

"I'm not from here, but locals were pretty angry," Krack said. "Rumor had it, it wasn't necessary, but I sure don't know. I wasn't there. I didn't have it charging after me."

Lewis, who interviewed the fishermen on Saturday, dismissed such criticism. "That's absolute nonsense," he said. "He got a hearty handshake and a 'job well done' for saving himself and his buddies."

he backed into the water and threw his shotgun at her
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    What?
    Yeah, he was supposed to be the bear guard. In other accounts back in the day he threw the PISTOL GRIPPED pump shotgun at her because he feared he'd just tee her off worse and dove in and swam for it. How would you like that guy covering your six?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List