Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't leave gear in your car during maintenance. Duh...

Don't leave gear in your car during maintenance. Duh...

I just wanted to rant a little... Yesterday my wife took my vehicle in for service and I unfortunately forgot to remove my range bag out of the vehicle. This morning I pulled it out to find that a fair amount of ammo, spare mags, and expensive parts were stolen. I am particularly pissed about the spare P9S slide and bolt. Not freaking cheap parts and I highly doubt the ass hat who stole it will have use for it. I guess the silver lining is I didn't leave the firearms in there. Note to self and others clear your gear out of your car before you take it in for service or leave it anywhere where people will have unsupervised access in and out of your vehicle.

What a crappy way to start the day. Hopefully it will get better.

I think a trip to that shop is in order, for a talk with the service manager, then possibly the police. I'd hope the latter would take a VERY dim view on gun parts being stolen.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I think a trip to that shop is in order, for a talk with the service manager, then possibly the police. I'd hope the latter would take a VERY dim view on gun parts being stolen.
    ^^^That right there.

I've had second thoughts about the ammo can that more or less lives in the trunk because I'm lazy and it's one fewer thing to lug in and out for range trips. What with ammo costs the way they are, half a case of nine is actually worth stealing these days.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I plan on making a trip down there shortly and talking directly with the mechanic. I am hoping that if I speak with him directly first I can get my stuff back. If he denies it I will go to management and then police to fill out a theft report. I don't know what the penalties in NM are but I imagine they are pretty close to here in TX. It's an A misdemeanor here for the dollar amount. I am going to get all my paperwork together first in case I have to got to management and the police so I don't have to make two trips.

What frustrates me is not even the ammo so much as the parts for my P9S and the mags. They are not cheap. Just between the P30 mags, P320 mags and the P9S parts we're talking about 1k at the very least. I just hope I can get my stuff back.

I'd like my stuff back. Please. (never be rude. it's... rude. )
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

hufnagel, thanks for the laugh man. I am flipping through my receipts now and holy crap I needed to laugh. Looking at the receipts I am realizing the cost of this game is never the gun/guns. It's the ammo and accessories. I am hoping that if I can't get my crap back I can find some P30 mags, I imagine that they are going to be in short supply right now. Sucks cause now I'm down to just 3.

I agree on the talk with the Service Manager, and cops after that, perhaps even if it's fruitful.

I've gotten in the annoying habit of hanging around watching them do service on my vehicles, no matter how many times they say "Sir, you can wait in our lounge area" or "Our insurance doesn't allow customers in the service area". They sometimes chase me out of the bay, but I stand just outside the line and hang out. Not so much to keep them from stealing, but have watched them do dumb stuff like not clean the grease zirks before lubing (had to replace a couple U joints after that event), drop parts and not retrieve them and shrug it off etc.

The local shop is used to me. I just like asking what they see as they do the work. The manager has good hands that he trained well.

I'd return to the shop and talk to the service manager about getting the bag back and then call the police to come to the shop from there if it doesn't magically appear. It is bad for business to have a police unit taking a report for theft at the shop. Being a red Kool-Aid driniking HK fanboy with a couple of P9S's I understand how hard those parts are to come by and how expensive they are.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Definitely go to the shop in person. If you don't get your stuff back immediately (Even if you do) call the police from the shop and have them show up there to report the stuff stolen. Making sure to use the media "Buzzwords" in the call to get the appropriate amount of actions & investigation from the police while you're there. After they're there, and you're the one calling, the Shop won't reasonably be able to say you're trespassing and the police will investigate the theft as their priority.

Make sure you don't act in a way to make them call the police first and don't tell or threaten them with calling the police, just do it if they tell you to pound sand.
    _________In celebration of Ramadan, I'll be eating Pork all month. You're Welcome._______________________

I'd keep an eye on your local armslist and gun forum classified section to see if they come up for sale. And if the shop isn't supremely helpful, nyeti makes a great point about public shaming.

User Tag List