Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice before buying a Glock 42

I carry a G19 which can be occasionally to big in some situations so I'm going with the G42 for deep concealment over my J-Frame/CT. Unfortunately in California some counties limit the guns you can carry to 3 which are listed by caliber and serial number, so it'll be two G19's and a G42.

FWIW, I love Glocks, but my G42 was so ammo-finicky and unreliable I never gained confidence with it and got rid of it after only 500 rounds.

At least one friend has had problems with his so I don't think I'm alone in this experience.

Site Supporter
    Midway has Glock 42 mags in stock right now

^^^Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogdad View Post
    FWIW, I love Glocks, but my G42 was so ammo-finicky and unreliable I never gained confidence with it and got rid of it after only 500 rounds.

At least one friend has had problems with his so I don't think I'm alone in this experience.
    I hate to say it, but I think that's a "Glock" thing, and not necessarily a "G42" thing. Since January, I have bought 2 Glocks; a 42 and a 17. The 42 has always run ball like a champ from go, and after the mags had been cycled a few times (3mags, maybe 100 rounds), JHPs (eg. Fiocchi truncated cone xtp, federal hydra-shok and some old 88 grain remmy from the basement) fell into line admirably. I haven't had a malf in the last several outings, and couple hundred rounds. The G17 has also been at each outing, as well as two classes, and it's given me all sorts of grief; failure to lock open on empty mags and FTE primarily.

It was bad enough at a Matt Graham class that I had to bag the idea of documenting my 2k challenge; there wasn't time to document all the choking. I probably won't bother re-booting the 2k with this gun.

That's just an anecdote, true, but I'm definitely thinking that this is the "new normal" for Glock in 2014; a majority of each model run like its 1994, and each model in turn also has an unacceptable number of turds in play at any given time.

I can say that I trust my G42 to go bang right now, and I'm not as convinced by my 17. Other mileage not only can but will *certainly* vary under the new normal.
    JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogdad View Post

They've been revised twice, I'd just get a newer one.

I'm currently running an XDs9 and LCP, but carried/owned Glock 19/23/22/27's through much of my LE Career. My wife doesn't care for Glock choosing a Taurus PT-111 & LCP. I'm unimpressed with the Glock 42, like the Shield but preferred the XDs9.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Finally ran a mag through a 42. First round (Blazer Brass FMJ) was a classic stovepipe failure-to-eject... not that I think that's statistically significant, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to stir stuff.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Finally ran a mag through a 42. First round (Blazer Brass FMJ) was a classic stovepipe failure-to-eject... not that I think that's statistically significant, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to stir stuff.
    Insert "HA HA Nelson" picture here:
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

User Tag List