Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What do you guys think of this Mike Lamb 'fighting shotgun' video??

Lol! Awesome. I mean. Shame on you guys. Isn't the PC police there to monitor you guys?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

.700" dia., 1 1/4oz. @ 1500fps.

Yea... might as well be throwing spitballs.

Federal 230gr. .45acp HST vs. Brenneke Short Magnum
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We tried the "North Korean paratroopers" for the flying stuff, but it didn't work as well.
    Ah, there's your problem. With enemy paratroopers, you have to shoot at their feet as they descend, so bet you guys should have raised your sight pictures.

I only have crumbs and spare change in in my couch.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    One big reason for the AR over the shotgun is reduced danger of interior wall over-penetration.

That being said, a 1300 sleeps next to me, not a rifle.
    I used to say this, as well. In my own testing, I found them to be similar.

Any round is going through dry-wall if it's going to be effective on-target. I think most people can agree with that statement. So, I focused on wall-studs. This would be the second "weakest" thing in a home, aside from hollow-core doors, windows, etc.

I personally prefer barrier-blind 5.56 ammunition. If you like VMAX, or Nosler BT's, then this discussion ends here for you. 5.56 will penetrate less.

However, I found that 00 Buckshot at <10m will not reliably penetrate through 1 pine 2x6 lumber section. Through 2, I could not punch a single 000 pellet, unless they "stacked". Even then that is theory, because none ever made it through 2 boards.

I feel like, based on this and other random items I have shot that a 5.56 is more likely to leave a house than buckshot. Neither are likely to, at all. No firearm that you intend to stop a threat with should EVER be aimed and fired in a direction which you are unsure of within the home if friendlies are also on the home.

My .02, and worth what you paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    A couple of thoughts. I think those who are familiar with me understand that I do not like to be overly critical and I try to remain very respectful, but there are some interesting points that can be taken from the video and it is really a good learning opportunity. So with all due respect here are a couple more thoughts. People think the 870 or any pump shotgun is a simple weapon that anyone can easily pick up and be successful with in a defensive situation. Sure perhaps if it is a one shot incident then the lesser trained can be successful but if we need multiple shots, things can get interesting quickly under stress especially for those lacking in training. As others have mentioned the pump shotgun can be one of the more problematic weapons to run under stress. Just look at the video. There was not a single string of fire in that video that did not have an issue, starting off with the first opening live fire scene where Mike had an unlock issue twice, once after the first round and then again on the last round where he attempted to cycle, had an issue and then ended the string of fire instead. Throughout the rest of the video, every scene had one of the shooters encountering issues and I am not talking about rounds falling off the weapon. Of course they were there to train and practice and shit happens during training. And of course repetition via training and practice eliminate much of the issues, but those individuals in the video are clearly not new to firearms and have run shotguns prior to the video and have had formal training at some point in time with a shotgun. So imagine what a lesser trained or average homeowner would experience under stress.

As Mr. Haggard has mentioned the technique needs to be correct with a pump. It is a simple fix with correct repetition of proper training and practice but the natural instinct with the shotgun is not to use a push / pull bow and arrow technique with a relaxed shoulder pocket mount of the shotgun, but rather most untrained or lesser trained individuals will have a tight pull on the stock AND on the pump with a hard pull into the shoulder pocket, which causes what you see in the video in the failures to cycle the weapon correctly. Now if experienced shooters have that issue, imagine what you see from your average joe using a pump shotgun. Auto loaders are great but pick the correct one. I would not suggest an inertia fed shotgun like the one I carry. Of course 14" barrel, side saddle, surefire forend on a M1 Super 90 makes it look like the ideal HD shotgun, but it isn't for the average person being inertia operated. Now a good reliable gas / piston driven system would be more ideal, but still is not devoid of its own limitations that a carbine might be better suited for.

Bottom line, what is right for one person, may not be right for another. Training, skill, size, strength and needs of the individual vary greatly. Use what you are most proficient / effective with. Even more important perhaps is having a practiced plan, hopefully some formal training in defensive principles within the home or structures, knowing your layout intimately even under low light and knowing your angles, backstops, materials used in the construction and the effects of your choice in ammo from intermediate or blind barrier to terminal ballistics. No matter what your choice is, get good with it. Good like your life depended on it good. This aspect is often overlooked by the average shooter. Of course most here at this forum are probably not in the average shooter category either and many here seem to forget that from time to time when giving opinions. Myself included.

The efficacy that 1 round has on a target is not the only equation. Possible multiple targets or what if I missed the first shot. Just being ready to engage with a second round or follow up shots is not something that we abandon when using a shotgun, so we should be immediately cycling the pump shotgun with a correct technique and this should happen during the recoil phase, just like resetting a trigger on a pistol during recoil. You see way too many people fire the shotgun, get a second sight picture then run the pump. We will do any assessments with a loaded chamber. In other words if you look at the video, there are instances where the shooter seems to be assessing results, then cycling the weapon. This is obviously only a training issues but is critical to ingrain proper technique from the get go.

There are some shooters who make pump shotguns look like auto loaders. Speed and accuracy pretty much on par. It is always cool to watch a very good shooter run a pump.
    I cannot disagree with any of what you have said, but this is why I prefer an autoloader. I can focus on aspects other than cycling the weapon in my training. It removes a step for a human being and dedicates it to a machine which has a lower failure-rate than I feel that I do, performing the same function. A very good argument for an autoloading shotgun of 99% of the population is honest with themselves.

I have an 870 "Tactical" that I use for HD. It is pretty bare bones except I got rid of the crappy Rem mag tube extension and put on a Wilson +2 and put on left side sling mounts. After reading some info on the AI&P Shotguns website I upgraded some of the internal components to bring my shotty up to Police model specs (extractor, etc.). I admittedly do not practice with it as much as I should but after reading through this thread I am going to hit the range and practice some of the techniques you guys have shared.

After reading this page and others on the AI&P website I went out and bought the bare bones Rem 870 Tactical. I think it is a great weapon but I totally understand that issues can occur when under stress and particularly in low light conditions. I've been wanting to hit up a training course for the pump shotgun but have yet to pull the proverbial trigger. Thanks for all the insight in this thread. Its that type of advice from serious shooters that keeps me coming back to PF and drives me to become a better shooter.

I have heard of Mike Lamb and I enjoy is TACTV episodes. While I also saw some very awkward shotgun techniques in the video I do think it is important to listen to Mike's dialogue instead of critiquing the video.
    Last edited by Irelander; 06-13-2014 at 10:48 AM.

User Tag List