Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Are we training right?

The snake drill is an excellent drill, and is just the beginning of a whole set of down range drills. However, I have to agree with Todd, you definitely want an experienced instructor running these drills. Also, most of them are more applicable to the team environment, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable instructor who will do them in an open enrollment class.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The snake drill is an excellent drill, and is just the beginning of a whole set of down range drills. However, I have to agree with Todd, you definitely want an experienced instructor running these drills. Also, most of them are more applicable to the team environment, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable instructor who will do them in an open enrollment class.
    ^Agreed^

I think a much better drill for CCW folks, who want to practice working around family members, is the kind of drill folks in a PSD team might use, scoop the protectee behind the shooter as they draw. The downrange person starts downrange, ends up behind the shooter by the time live rounds start getting thrown around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^Agreed^

I think a much better drill for CCW folks, who want to practice working around family members, is the kind of drill folks in a PSD team might use, scoop the protectee behind the shooter as they draw. The downrange person starts downrange, ends up behind the shooter by the time live rounds start getting thrown around.
    This, absolutely. As well as directed linear movements off the x.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've done the snake drill in an open enrollment class. Also aware of a student cross shooting in the snake drill in an open enrollment class. I find value in it and other down range drills. But in an open enrollment class, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I've done the snake drill in an open enrollment class. Also aware of a student cross shooting in the snake drill in an open enrollment class. I find value in it and other down range drills. But in an open enrollment class, never again.
    Yup I've seen that, as few folks here (TimC, JayC) where on the other relay, but a guy on my relay with KenH (joint LAV/Ken class) did that, and Ken tore him a new one. Student denied denied denied - and it was pretty clear what he did.
    It was not a open enrollment class per say - and I will point out he was a Fed LE (with a Sig if it narrows it down).

I've done a bunch of downrange drills - I find a lot of value in them, however the cadre and students need to be experienced, and those drills should be done for a training reason not just because you can.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Here you go, new drill of the week.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/03/16...fidence-drill/

SLG,

Holy kittens.

Also, nice illustration of trigger-checking at 5:13-5:15 from the guy on the left side of the screen.
    Kathy Jackson

(But the AD at 3:48 is even better.)

KJ
    Kathy Jackson

Fyi: this was a whole thread a while back. Just too lazy to find it on my phone to link it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

BaiHu ~

Thank you! It's at http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ndgun-Training and I just learned a few things.

Kathy
    Kathy Jackson

User Tag List