View Poll Results: Vote on which one I should get!

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll

14 77.78%
  • Sphinx

4 22.22%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Help: What gun should I buy?

In a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol, I'd suggest several for your consideration-Sigpro 2022, CZ PO7/PO9/CZ75 Omega, Beretta 92 series, HK P30/HK45C...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Modular grip and improved ergonomics, primarily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I appreciate it! Would it still be relatively comfortable for EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Another vote for the P30 9mm LEM here.

If you live behind enemy lines in a 10-round state, consider an Hk45 Compact LEM.
    I currently live in a state that still abides by the constitution thankfully. So that is not an issue for me. I am not familiar with the term LEM, would you mind explaining it? Probably a dumb question, I am sure....

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Haha, I totally forgot about H&K. Really the P30 is considered by many to be one of the most reliable defensive or offensive handguns ever made. If you can afford one, you should avail yourself of it's many benefits, not the least of which is the most absurd reliability you will ever see in an out of the box gun.

Although for the price, you could get a SigPro (which I have a slight preference for), holster, ammo, and maybe even have some money down on a good training class. The Sig Pro, is in my opinion, a very underrated piece of pistolwork and the 2340 (a .40 caliber version I had of the 2009) was the only gun I have ever regretted selling. It was reliable to a fault, has interchangeable grips, accurate as the shooter on the trigger and there are now laser grip options available for them. I'd personally give the nod to the 2022 over the 229, because I'm pretty cheap, and because for that price, you get a slightly lighter version of the 229 with a rail, with decent capacity and (unless I'm off base here) will accept the sights that will fit on other Sig models.
    It sounds to me like everyone is saying Sig, CZ or H&K. I really like the designs of the H&K pistols, but they are a little bit more pricey than the others. The P30 compact is over $1000. But the USP compact is about $800. How much would I be sacrificing if I went with the USP? I keep hearing about the Sig 2022 so it is on my list of weapons to try out if possible.

You would not be sacrificing anything by going with a USP over an HK45 or P30. I prefer the USP to the HK45/P30. I prefer the SIG 226/229 over the HK handguns.

Go shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacing View Post
    I currently live in a state that still abides by the constitution thankfully. So that is not an issue for me. I am not familiar with the term LEM, would you mind explaining it? Probably a dumb question, I am sure....
    The HK LEM action uses the cycling of the slide to preload the hammer spring, but the hammer returns to the down position after each shot. The trigger has a relatively long, light pull that's nothing but trigger-spring resistance until you get to the point where the firing pin block disengages and the sear is released, firing the gun.

It's an interesting hybrid between a DAO gun, with a long and safe but terribly heavy trigger pull to compress the hammer spring using trigger force, vs an SAO gun with its light but very short trigger pull and dependency on using a manual safety.

Basically, you get the consistent, relatively light trigger pull of a striker-fired gun, plus a hammer you can ride with your thumb when holstering (<--HUGE BENEFIT).
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

It sounds to me like everyone is saying Sig, CZ or H&K. I really like the designs of the H&K pistols, but they are a little bit more pricey than the others. The P30 compact is over $1000. But the USP compact is about $800. How much would I be sacrificing if I went with the USP? I keep hearing about the Sig 2022 so it is on my list of weapons to try out if possible.
    The P30 is the direct descendant of the USP Compact, and in fact you can use the 15-round P30 mags in the USPc. I'd be happy if someone handed me either and told me that was my gun for the next X months, but there are lots of little improvements in the P30 that add up to make it a better choice, IMHO. I've seen people go both ways on this one, so there's no wrong choice, but the P30 gets the nod more often than not.

$200 is negligible compared to how much I spend on ammo and to a lesser extent mags/holsters/etc over the lifetime of a pistol. That's about three range trips worth of 9mm target ammo for me. I would personally decide on which gun I preferred, hopefully after renting or borrowing an example of each, and then save up a little longer to get the more expensive gun if that one worked best in my hands.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Site Supporter
    If you decide to go the HK route, my advice would be to spend the extra cash on a P30. If you shop around on the internet, you will find several dealers selling for around $850-$875 for the P30. The USPc is a great gun, but the ergonomics of the P30 are better IMHO.

Here are some excellent threads for you, OP, to assist you in your research.

What handgun should I get?

HK P30 or USP9c?

Sig-2022-9mm

So currently, if you are joining the conversation, my current list would be as follows:

CZ (75 compact, p-01, p07)
    SIG (P229, P239, P2022)
    HK P30
    I am also still looking into the Sphinx SDP because I don't know enough about it yet to decide whether or not to keep it on the list.

Still taking any input, whether its about one of these guns or a totally different one! Thanks guys!
    Best options.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

User Tag List