View Poll Results: Vote on which one I should get!

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll

14 77.78%
  • Sphinx

4 22.22%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help: What gun should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    ShotPlacing, I would strongly consider a CZ75 Compact if you like steel/aluminum framed guns. Another option would be a Dan Wesson CCO if you wish to stick to the 1911 platform. I put very little emphasis on the size/weight of a gun for carry as a good holster and belt can make almost anything disappear comfortably.

EDIT: I would also take a good look at the Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. I know most people consider 9mm 1911's unreliable as well as the work of Satan, however, after seeing Tod's SACS gun i'm beginning to re think that.
    Both of those sound excellent and they will be added to my list! 9mm 1911's freak me out, I'd have to put 2000+ rounds through it before I would trust it haha!

So currently, if you are joining the conversation, my current list would be as follows:

CZ (75 compact, p-01, p07)
    SIG (P229, P239, P2022)
    HK P30
    I am also still looking into the Sphinx SDP because I don't know enough about it yet to decide whether or not to keep it on the list.

Still taking any input, whether its about one of these guns or a totally different one! Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacing View Post
    So currently, if you are joining the conversation, my current list would be as follows:

CZ (75 compact, p-01, p07)
    SIG (P229, P239, P2022)
    HK P30
    I am also still looking into the Sphinx SDP because I don't know enough about it yet to decide whether or not to keep it on the list.

Still taking any input, whether its about one of these guns or a totally different one! Thanks guys!
    I recently faced a similar decision - and I came down on the side of the P30S in 9mm. I have been a Sig user for a long time, and really prefer the TDA, but also like the idea of a safety for administrative gun handling (I have a fair amount of range time with 1911s as well). Like you - I want a hammer. I will confess that I really like the fact that the P30 comes with the different size grip panels. Mine wears the largest ones, and fits my hand well. The mediums were close, and I never even slid the small ones on it to see how that went.

Of the options you have outlined, there is some variety in "shootability" in my mind. I loved my 239, but couldn't shoot it worth jack because the trigger felt like it was nearly pulled back into my palm before the gun fired. The rest (I don't know the CZ line well) being double stacks are going to be decently larger in grip circumference.

Any chance you can rent some of those?

Another vote here for the P229. I wouldn't say that I'm a SIG fanboy, but I'll admit that they have performed the best for me. I have no experience with the P30. But I can tell you that I so have experience with the Hk45c and I'm almost ashamed to say that I am thoroughly unimpressed.

I know Todd did that awesome torture test, but my experience with the HK45 platform has been love/hate. I do REALLY like the USP 45 though.

But yeah, check out the 229.

As some others have said, the SIG PRO 2022 deserves consideration. You're getting a lot of gun for the money. For the price point you're looking at with the Sphinx, you can pick up two 2022's , a case of training ammo and maybe even a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotPlacing View Post
    The only way to carry a 1911 (in my opinion) is Cocked and Locked. I never mentioned carrying with an empty chamber. But I would prefer a DA/SA for carrying. So yeah, the SIG is probably at the top of the list right now.
    Sorry I misunderstood. Based on your comment about not being accurate with a heavy DA shot would you be inclined to thumb cock the first round or put the time into training to master an accurate DA first shot?

If you're a thumb cocker I'd steer you toward an SA only mechanism that you're already very comfortable with. If you're willing to put in the time to master DA then HK and SIG are valid choices for you to consider as others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    As some others have said, the SIG PRO 2022 deserves consideration. You're getting a lot of gun for the money. For the price point you're looking at with the Sphinx, you can pick up two 2022's , a case of training ammo and maybe even a holster.
    Or it's predecessor, the 2009 can be had for about $350. Only downside is the proprietary rail.

Also check out Sig and CZ for their SAO offerings. Not sure if they have anything in your size range,but they do offer some models.

If you like small 1911's and don't mind that low capacity that brings take a serious look at the Sig P220 compact. More capacity in 9mm Sig P239. Even more capacity and a little bigger/thicker in 9mm Sig P229.

I've always felt like 1911 guys transition well to the Sig platform if they are willing to out in the time to master the DA part of the trigger. It's not that difficult in my opinion.

But, also my opinion, it isn't difficult to transition a 1911 guy to an M&P or a Glock either. M&P with a thumb safety and apex carry trigger would be very serviceable for a shooter use to 1911's.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Also, I know it's a subcompact, but have you considered the Springfield EMP?

I'd look at either a CZ 75d PCR or some SIG variant if I were you. If you want to carry with the hammer down, you really should get a decocker gun IMO, some of the CZs have them and some don't. The deckocker CZs can be made to have excellent triggers, they just take a little more to get in and out of than the safety models.

User Tag List