Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearm importation into Canada from South Africa

Firearm importation into Canada from South Africa

There are plans to go to Canada in August.

We will be hiking with a guide in Chilcotin to a cabin that one person in of our group owns (he stays in Denmark).

We will be travelling from South Africa.

In terms of Canadian firearm law i have been reading up about non restrictive, restrictive firearms etc.

I carry 24/7 in South Africa and EDC either a Glock 19 or S&W shield. I am a IDPA master, 3 Gunner and hunter.

Is it possible to import a firearm into Canada that I can carry with me when we go hiking?

I have read the "Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada" and I assume I can bring one in. Although it doesnt specify who you have to be to carry one for 'Wild Animal protection'.

I am used to jumping through hoops for firearm licenses and such in RSA so that isnt a problem.

Is there a possibility of 'borrowing' a firearm from the guide? I would rather go the other route.

I would prefer to carry a handgun but im sure a pump shotgun with slugs would do. I own a few firearms that would fit the purpose but would be up for buying one for the purpose if needed.

Thanks in advance

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I can't tell you much about the import process but I think it would be unlikely in the extreme that they would let you import a handgun for carry purposes.

We do have provisions for handgun carry in the wilderness but only for people working there.

A shotgun is acceptable bush carry here (and illegal carry of large bore revolvers is pretty common, but they'd never let you import something for that).

That's about all I can contribute.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I can't tell you much about the import process but I think it would be unlikely in the extreme that they would let you import a handgun for carry purposes.

We do have provisions for handgun carry in the wilderness but only for people working there.

A shotgun is acceptable bush carry here (and illegal carry of large bore revolvers is pretty common, but they'd never let you import something for that).

That's about all I can contribute.
    Thanks for the input.

So bringing my Winchester 1300 should be fine as long as I go through the paperwork?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    All my imports have been dealt with by others so I can't claim any experience there.

But 1300s abound here so it's hard for me to imagine a specific reason they'd refuse one.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether you would be required to have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition license in order to haul that thing around. But I would guess your research has probably already told you. For a Canadian it would be required but I assume there must be some provision for foreign nationals. We have plenty of American hunters that come here and I can't see them all holding Canadian permits.

Incidentally I spent last weekend in the Chilcotin with my wife. Lots of beautiful country up there.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    All my imports have been dealt with by others so I can't claim any experience there.

But 1300s abound here so it's hard for me to imagine a specific reason they'd refuse one.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether you would be required to have a Canadian Possession and Acquisition license in order to haul that thing around. But I would guess your research has probably already told you. For a Canadian it would be required but I assume there must be some provision for foreign nationals. We have plenty of American hunters that come here and I can't see them all holding Canadian permits.

Incidentally I spent last weekend in the Chilcotin with my wife. Lots of beautiful country up there.
    From what I understand, if it is a non restrictive firearm, I have to fill out and sign (in front of the border control) a non-citizen firearm declaration which then is valid for 60 days. It will also suffice for transportation as it is a non restrictive firearm.

If I want to bring a restrictive firearm in I then have to visit the office and get a permit to transport.

I hope someone will correct me if I am incorrect.

Yes. As you've deduced, you can bring restricted in for a match (or another form of target shooting) and transport them (unloaded, locked, and encased) under the authority of an Authorization to Transport (ATT) but - without an Authorization to Carry (ATC), the issuance of which being unlikely - non-restricted is all that you'll be likely to be able to carry. To get an ATT you'll probably have to provide some evidence that the firearm is going to be used for a lawful purpose (such as target shooting at an approved shooting range). The ATT is issued by the provincial CFO. If what you want is wilderness protection, your 1300 will do...no ATT required.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

Using a Firearm for Wilderness Protection (in Canada)
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...auvage-eng.htm

In Canada, your G19 is either restricted or prohibited, depending upon it's barrel length. Most Canadian G19 owners have an extended-length barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Yes. As you've deduced, you can bring restricted in for a match (or another form of target shooting) and transport them (unloaded, locked, and encased) under the authority of an Authorization to Transport (ATT) but - without an Authorization to Carry (ATC), the issuance of which being unlikely - non-restricted is all that you'll be likely to be able to carry. To get an ATT you'll probably have to provide some evidence that the firearm is going to be used for a lawful purpose (such as target shooting at an approved shooting range). The ATT is issued by the provincial CFO. If what you want is wilderness protection, your 1300 will do...no ATT required.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm

Using a Firearm for Wilderness Protection (in Canada)
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...auvage-eng.htm
    Thanks.

And last question - is it likely that they will grant me the temporary import if it's for wilderness protection and I'm with a guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    In Canada, your G19 is either restricted or prohibited, depending upon it's barrel length. Most Canadian G19 owners have an extended-length barrel.
    I've got a 17 too which is the longer barrel. Or a colt gold cup which is probably better suited than the 17.

I would even consider getting a glock 20 for the purpose if I was allowed to bring it in and carry (only when in the wilderness).

You might reach out to BC's Ministry of Environment, asking about whether there is any reason why you could not carry a shotgun in the area you propose, and then - with their response in hand - contacting the office of the BC CFO, asking whether there is any reason why you could not temporarily bring in a "non-restricted Winchester 1300 shotgun" under a Non-Resident Declaration (license).

I predict that you'll be able to do this.

User Tag List