Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Home defense gun different than what you CC?

I carry either a Kimber Compact or more recently a Springfield Champion Operator with Surefire X300 attached. I keep a Kimber Desert Warrior with TLR-1 attached and CMC 10rd mag in the nightstand.
    "I'd rather be lucky than good any day!"

Right now I have a M&P 9c that stays in it's JM custom holster with a surefire E1b with a wrist lanyard next to it. I'm not against long guns, actually considering selling some stuff to get a AR to supplement my pistol. The reason I have not yet is because I have two German Shepherds that investigate with me and don't like strangers that are not invited in, so I imagine I'll need a free hand to control them (where the lanyard come into play). It's not perfect but I much rather have dog over watch then a AR, so I make do with the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    My usual CCW is either a S&W 642 or a Glock 19. The bedside gun is a Glock 17 with one of the old magazine mounted light holders attached with a Scorpion flashlight.
    We disagree on a lot of things but we agree here. I carry a Glock 19 off duty and as a back up. I use a Smith J frame Scandium revolver in .357 for those times I can't conceal the 19 and my Glock 17 with my X300 is always by my bed when I go to sleep.
    pat

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    These impediments are worth the trouble when I am with a trusted team, and much less so when I am the only fully-trained person present... This hallway is best traveled with one's handgun at a High #2, with a hand-held light in the other hand...
    Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by looseduke View Post
    I too find that a long gun is ideal when entrenched in a static position in the house, while a handgun and a flashlight (ideally kept away from my body) is preferable to investigate the source of a sound, or securing children at night.
    I feel that this is the crux of the issue when discussing Handgun vs. longgun for home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    I currently have a G26 and a Shield 9mm for when I need something more slim. I also have a P226 9mm with a light mounted on it that stays in the safe.

My questions being, do you guys carry different than what you use at home defense aka "night stand gun"?

Do you add a light to whatever you carry when you get home (if your carry does not already have a light)?

My thinking being is to either stay in the realm of striker fire and focus time, money and training with that platform rather than being proficient in both DA/SA and striker fired.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Nate
    Carry pistol is an XDS 45ACP....Desk pistol is a 45ACP M1911. I won't have a big worry about someone sneaking up on me in bed as I have two poodles that bark at a flea passing gas at 500 yds and 4 100 lb+ outdoor dogs who are really good at guarding.

My carry gun is pretty much my home defense gun. I aiwb hk 45c most of the time even at home. To be safe however I do have a p30 mounted with surefire x400 and a Benelli m2 shotgun with integrated surefire light handy when I need light.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

I don't always have the same CCW as a night stand pistol but they all are the same type of pistol. CCW is either a Gen G4 26 or a G19. When it's bed time whichever one I have goes in the night stand with a flashlight. Also have a spare G17 RTF2 in there as a back up and for the wife.

Other guns in various locations in the house are 9 mm Glocks too. It's basically the same manual of arms, they share magazines, and are similar to my duty weapon so I feel confident in the choices. I also have an aging Chesapeake Bay Retriever as an "early warning system"

I'm a little late to this thread, but...

Originally posted by Tamara:

"Home defense gun" means a couple different things for me...

I put on and take off my CCW gun with my clothes. If I've got shoes and jeans on, I'm wearing a pistol with a light and laser.

There's a handgun I can reach easily from in bed. Call me paranoid, but it doesn't take many friends waking up with an intruder actually in their bed to make this seem a reasonable idea. It's a 2" K-frame Smith .38, so that I've got a full K-frame grip in my hand while the other person only has a 2" barrel to grab; it's a revolver because it seems like if there's one circumstance where contact shots might be an issue, that'd be it; it's a .38 and not a Magnum so that I don't set myself on fire; and it's steel-framed so that it can be used to go all Joe Pesci and beat the bad guy to a paste in a pinch.

If I get out of bed, I can access my CCW pistol while deciding whether the situation warrants going to fetch a carbine or not.
    Damn, I like the way you think!

Carry guns are either a 2 1/2" 686+, or a SCCY CPX-2. Hanging on the headboard is 6" Model 57. I would like to have a rifle or shotgun, but finances don't permit it at this time. The only carbine I have right now is an elderly Model 94 Winchester in 25-35 WCF.

User Tag List