Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight & safety razor shaving

Took the plunge today on Merkur DE, a brush, and some sandalwood soap. If this doesn't work out, I blame SLG.....
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Took the plunge today on Merkur DE, a brush, and some sandalwood soap. If this doesn't work out, I blame SLG.....
    A fine decision.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Cool...I really like my DE, but I'm not sure I am ready to dive into the throat slicer like SLG though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LL,

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but there is a slight learning curve to it, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't go great right away. Since our fathers didn't teach us this, you MUST, watch the various videos from Mantic59 on youtube. VERY well done.

It took me about 2 weeks to get the closest, smoothest, most irritation free shaves of my life. BUT, since everyone's face is different, who knows how long it will take you. What specific stuff did you buy? Almost all of it out there seems to be pretty good, but some stuff is easier to use than others.

I got into DE shaving about a year ago. At the time I just thought it would be cool to shave like my grandfather did. Little did I know that I would be soon getting the best shaves of my life at the fraction of the cost of cartridge razors.

I use a cheap gillette DE I bought off a guy at badger and blade, a best badger brush by edwin jagger, personna red blades, palm olive shave stick, and witch hazel for aftershave. The shave stick is super awesome and super cheap too, I love it.

I want to try a straight razor, but I really don't want to spend the money on a new straight and find out i dont like it. Been thinking of trying out one of the refurbed razors www.whippeddog.com has, but i don't know.

Pro-tip: DON'T try to shave like you did with a Mach 3. Let the weight of the razor provide the pressure against your skin.
    Mike

I just watched mantic59's videos on building a lather and the 10 minute shave while feeding my kid. Excellent.

Ordered Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap, a boar hair brush, and a Merkur HD DE #34C razor. Actually looking forward to this.
    #RESIST

Ordered Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap, a boar hair brush, and a Merkur HD DE #34C razor. Actually looking forward to this.
    Now all that you need is the ability to actually grow some facial hair...

I just watched mantic59's videos on building a lather and the 10 minute shave while feeding my kid. Excellent.

Cool, it is something I actually look forward to now, and set aside enough time to do it right.

I've haven't tried a boar brush yet, but the one thing that isn't stressed online is how effective, fast and easy it is to build lather right on your face. I load the brush for about 10 secs using the upside trick, and then lather onto my face. It doesn't take long at all, and it builds enough lather for 3 or4 passes. It also does a great job of using the brush for what it is meant to do, which is prepare your beard correctly, rather than just spread lather around.

Shaving101.com. And. Thesuperiorshave.com. Have lots of good articles as well.

Let us know how it goes!

Shaving101.com has lots of good articles, as does Thesuperiorshave.com

SLG,

Thats exactly why I like the shaving sticks. I just put my brush in some hot water when I get in the shower and when I'm done my face is already wet, so I just rub the shave stick on my beard and then create the lather on my face. Shave sticks are also great to travel with too.

User Tag List