Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on p30

thoughts on p30

I have been thinking about getting a P30 but would have to be via gunbroker or other means as I have not been able to find one locally, but I have several questions for P30 owners.

Why did you get a P30?

Problems carry it CCW? Holster available?

Extra magazines an issue? Finding?

Trigger? I hear about how bad it is, thoughts?

Size? Compared to a Glock 19 or Glock 17?

I carry a Glock 19 or Wilson 1911 CCW most of the time and very curious about the P30.

Any and all you can tell me would be helpful, thanks in advance.

I just picked up my first H&K which is the HK 45. I spent alot of time trying to decide between it and a P30 so I think I can give you some info on the P30. Size wise it is between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19. Assuming you don't go with a P30L, the slide and barrel are about the same as a Glock 19, while the grip is about the same as a Glock 17 (in length). Only you can decide if that is too much for you to carry. At my last agency, I routinely carried a full size Glock 22 concealed for years when I worked narcotics and never had an issue so I know I wouldn't have one with a P30. As far as parts go, HKparts is a great resource fo H&K parts and they currently have P30 mags in stock. Be prepared for expensive magazines and other parts as HK's just command a premium over Glocks and M&P's. If you are familiar with striker fired guns, I highly recommend the LEM trigger like I went with for my HK 45. Good luck in your search bro.

1) I purchased a p30 because it was a high quality option that just felt amazing in my hand when I was comparing options at the gun store.

2) There are a ton of holsters out there, plenty of threads on that in the accessories section of this forum.

3) I have not checked recently, but sometimes they are scarce. Midway, hkparts, etc usually have some.

4) I like the LEM trigger, but it could use a shorter reset. No experience with da/sa version.

5) Really close to a g19 from some pictures on the web.

As far as finding one, I went to my local gun store and had them order me a v2, so that might be an option if you don't mind waiting for it to show up.

Try contacting Mike at crosscreekguns.com.
    Likely the best prices outside of a secondhand purchase.

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    Why did you get a P30?
    Because I don't suck and HK loves me.

No problems carrying it. Grip is relatively thin. Holster availability is far more limited than for a Glock but as long as you can find what you want, it's fine. It's not a matter of whether there are 100 different types of kydex OWB holsters for it, it's just a matter of whether you can find one you want for it.

Supply comes and goes. I suggest getting as many as you can manage whenever they become available until you have as many as you think you might need.

Totally a matter of personal preference. I'm not crazy about the DA/SA triggers but the LEM is one of my favorite setups. Other people never warm to it. Try before you buy if you can.

Someone will no doubt pull out a ruler and correct me but essentially it's like a G19 slide on a G17 frame.

Why did you get a P30?
    After several decades of being a dyed-in-the-wool Glock fanboi, I had a string of five G19s (three Gen4s, two 3rd Gens) go TU on me in the space of about a year and a half. When the last "hand picked" replacement gun was a pile of kittens out of the box, I cut my losses. The P30 had GREAT ergonomics, and Todd's test had convinced me it was built to last - I didn't want to get into the possible accuracy issues or other warts that occasionally plague the M&P line...

Because the P30's grip length is longer than the G19 I'd been carrying for a decade +, it feels "harder" to conceal, especially under thin, light covering garments. It's easier to carry/conceal than a P226, but not as easy as the Glock. Holsters are available, but nowhere near the availability for the Glock. If you have a specific carry holster you LOVE, you should check in advance if its available for the P30, or be prepared to broaden your horizons.

Again, availability is hit-and-miss - more often miss when I'm looking. But, if you're patient, you can get them - HK USA sells them direct (unless you're in a gun-challenged state like NY...)

I've owned or been issued plenty of HKs, in a variety of trigger configurations, and, for me, the P30's trigger is the worst of the bunch, specifically in reset length. My current LEM trigger has Todd's super-secret, not-recommended by HK combination of springs, and is completely workable, but, coming from a G19 and 1911 background, the reset is going to be an issue for you.

Todd nailed it - G19 slide length, G17 grip size. Unfortunately, this is PRECISELY backwards from what most of us would like for a CCW pistol - slide length is pretty much a non-issue (within reason) with the right holster selection, but there's very little you can do about that grip length...

FWIW, my P30 is hands down more accurate than any Glock I've ever owned, but I don't know that most shooters (myself included) will be able to consistently outshoot their Glocks. Fit, finish, function, reliability and construction are all higher quality than the Glock, but, you're going to pay twice for the HK what you do for the Glock. NS availability is still a work in progress, and my personal favorite Ameriglo doesn't make a single sight for the P30. Other big names offer sights, but options (contrasting rear lamp colors, etc) are likely to be limited.

Bottom line, if you have a G19 that's reliable for you and you don't outshoot its capabilities, I would personally skip the P30, and spend the money on ammunition and training with a quality instructor. If you have a "problem" Glock like any of the five last ones I had, and you're ready to spend the time to master the nuances of the LEM trigger, then the P30 is a good option, though I personally find the P2000 to do everything the P30 can do, in an easier-to-conceal package.

Regards,

Kevin

Why did you get a P30?
    - was looking for a high cap alternative to my P229, that weighed less (polymer)

- carried at 430 for years, in an MTAC, and no issues at all...now carry AIWB (year and a half), and no problems...I'm also not one that found the textured grip to be obnoxious on my bare skin

- get on waiting lists on several sites, and grab as many as you feel you need...they come in waves

- I short-stroked my Sig triggers more than I ever have my P30 or sk...I knew I wasn't getting a glass rod, tuned 1911, so I didn't expect it to act like one, or complain when it didn't. Just shot it a lot.

- what Todd said

I carry a Glock 19 or Wilson 1911 CCW most of the time and very curious about the P30.
    - the P30 is not like either one of the above, so make sure your expectations are realistic...if you don't get an "s" (safety), coming from Glock and 1911's, you may have to change your grip a little to make sure your strong hand thumb (culprit for many) isn't riding the end of the slide release. Otherwise, you may encounter failure to lock back on the last round.

I love my P30, and will be getting another one soon.

NOTE: Edited posts brought to you by autocorrect and Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a P30 but would have to be via gunbroker or other means as I have not been able to find one locally, but I have several questions for P30 owners.

Why did you get a P30?

Any and all you can tell me would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Because I couldn't bring myself to carry G19 in appendix, wanted a new challenge, and prefer to form an opinion based on personal experience.

I have six holsters from six different makers. I think that support is more than adequate.

I have 23 mags. Look, and you'll find them. They are not cheap but they are the best out of box mags that I have an experience with.

I don't like P30's DA/SA trigger, and I am not a huge fan of LEM either. I went with the latter, plus an expensive aftermarket work-over. It took me a lot of effort to learn it and certain tasks still get me at times. That said, I don't regret it.

While common opinion states that G19 is ideally sized for concealed carry and practice, my personal preference goes to P30. Slide is same length as 19's, very shootable yet concealable with any mode of carry. Grip is perfectly concealable too, yet long enough to prevent a G19 Palm Pinch™; I am not a big fan of having a pile of mags for the gun, and different pile for spares/reloads.

Site Supporter
    Why did you get a P30?
    - After 8 years carrying an issued USPc LEM 40 I wanted another LEM but in 9mm. I have large gorillas hands and wanted something with a full size grip. Ok - the real story is I drove my son to Austin for a Radiohead concert and just HAD to go early and stop at a well know Police supply store there. They were closing out their stock of HK LE guns at 10% off Normal LE pricing and the v1 LEM was staring at me like a puppy saying take me home ....I swore the kid to secrecy and the rest is history. I want P30 L if I can find an LEM.

- no problem but I carry a p-229 with a WML concealed all day. The holsters I prefer, Raven. Safarland and Sparks are all available for the P30.

- they come in waves - get them when you can - cross creek guns is where I would start.

- Go LEM v1 or get an S model and go cocked and locked. The DA is not HK's strong suite. If you want a TDA gun go SIG.

"certain tasks still get me at times."

Could you expand on this a bit for me? I'm curious to know which tasks may be a little trickier under the Lem banner.

Thanks,
    Shane

User Tag List