Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mantis X10 trainer review journal

I can see that the actual aiming is VERY hard to measure. Think about getting your gun out to that final position. If you move left or right or up or down 1/4" Mantis can sense that. If you twist the gun 1deg left or right, especially w/ the sensor hanging off the bottom of the mag, how can it sense that? This 'might' be an indicator that hanging the sensor below the barrel would be better. As you twist the gun that 1deg, the sensor would move sideways which I suspect it could notice.

It is mounted on the rail under my barrel, not on the magwell. It picks up the cant of the gun pretty well. I've always shot with a bit of a cant, Mantis averages me at about 4.6*. I think its part of the reason my recoil goes left and up a little, but I've never been able to be comfortable without a slight tilt to the handgun, but I don't think 4.6* is going to make much of a difference in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by piefairy View Post
    It is mounted on the rail under my barrel, not on the magwell. It picks up the cant of the gun pretty well. I've always shot with a bit of a cant, Mantis averages me at about 4.6*. I think its part of the reason my recoil goes left and up a little, but I've never been able to be comfortable without a slight tilt to the handgun, but I don't think 4.6* is going to make much of a difference in anything.
    That will at distance

That's super interesting. If you're willing, I'd like to explore why. I'm not aware of any high level practical pistol shooters who cant the gun while shooting with two hands. So, it might be worthwhile figuring out why you do it, and comparing it to a standard grip and support.

Is it visual? e.g. are you cross eye dominant?
    What is your stance like? Are your hips square to the target?
    Do you cant the gun when you hold it with your strong hand only? What about weak hand only?
    I don't speak Woke. Can you say that in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That's super interesting. If you're willing, I'd like to explore why. I'm not aware of any high level practical pistol shooters who cant the gun while shooting with two hands. So, it might be worthwhile figuring out why you do it, and comparing it to a standard grip and support.

Is it visual? e.g. are you cross eye dominant?
    What is your stance like? Are your hips square to the target?
    Do you cant the gun when you hold it with your strong hand only? What about weak hand only?
    I dont believe I cant the gun one handed, I haven't practiced much that way. My stance is a little awkward. I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I cross over my body a bit when I aim. I beleive this is the cause of the cant. I've gone back and looked at my averages and it varies between 2.5* to 5* at most depending on the drill, usually sitting to the lower end in open training. The timed drills I tend to be a little worse, thats where I pulled the 4.6* average from. I've never really thought about it since its such a low number. I know it would effect the reoil direction and increase my reacquisition time, but I have just been working with it. I cant visually see it and no one has ever mentioned it to me, I have a class in November with Randy Cain so he may. My groupings have been getting better and better so again, I figured everyone had some degree of a cant. What distances would this start to be a factor? At 10 yards, I'm not really noticing it, and with the X5 I was hitting well at 15, same as with my 1911. I guess it is something I need to correct before it becomes to ingrained in me. I'm going to have to play with the Mantis and see if it will show me the cant real time.

My new P320 came in today and I can now visually see the minute movement that I still have with the mantis thanks to the red dot. It will be interesting to see if I have the same cant results with the p320 and the different grip on it. I really like the thumb indention on it, makes hand placement a lot easier.

I dont believe I cant the gun one handed, I haven't practiced much that way. My stance is a little awkward. I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I cross over my body a bit when I aim. I beleive this is the cause of the cant. I've gone back and looked at my averages and it varies between 2.5* to 5* at most depending on the drill, usually sitting to the lower end in open training. The timed drills I tend to be a little worse, thats where I pulled the 4.6* average from. I've never really thought about it since its such a low number. I know it would effect the reoil direction and increase my reacquisition time, but I have just been working with it. I cant visually see it and no one has ever mentioned it to me, I have a class in November with Randy Cain so he may. My groupings have been getting better and better so again, I figured everyone had some degree of a cant. What distances would this start to be a factor? At 10 yards, I'm not really noticing it, and with the X5 I was hitting well at 15, same as with my 1911. I guess it is something I need to correct before it becomes to ingrained in me. I'm going to have to play with the Mantis and see if it will show me the cant real time.

My new P320 came in today and I can now visually see the minute movement that I still have with the mantis thanks to the red dot. It will be interesting to see if I have the same cant results with the p320 and the different grip on it. I really like the thumb indention on it, makes hand placement a lot easier.
    I guessed it was cross-eye dominance.

I wouldn't worry about a change in POI from the cant--especially only a few degrees. I'm thinking about the effect on recoil management, sight (re)acquisition, and a bunch of other things.

You could try these while keeping the pistol vertical:
    -Turning your head so your dominant eye lines up with the gun. That's what I do when I shoot WHO.
    -Adjusting your foot position slightly so your upper triangle shifts toward your dominant eye.
    -Remind me if you're shooting with a dot? If you are, you could experiment with using your non-dominant eye. Not recommending this, but it might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I guessed it was cross-eye dominance.

I wouldn't worry about a change in POI from the cant--especially only a few degrees. I'm thinking about the effect on recoil management, sight (re)acquisition, and a bunch of other things.

You could try these while keeping the pistol vertical:
    -Turning your head so your dominant eye lines up with the gun. That's what I do when I shoot WHO.
    -Adjusting your foot position slightly so your upper triangle shifts toward your dominant eye.
    -Remind me if you're shooting with a dot? If you are, you could experiment with using your non-dominant eye. Not recommending this, but it might be interesting.
    I have been working with my footwork. I naturally want to stand square to the target but I know I should have my right foot back a bit and a bit of a lean into the target. I've been shooting irons but my p320 I picked up today is a red dot. I'll probably be going to the range again Friday so we will try some tweaks, ontop of sighting in the dot. Any recommendations on doing so?

I have been working with my footwork. I naturally want to stand square to the target but I know I should have my right foot back a bit and a bit of a lean into the target. I've been shooting irons but my p320 I picked up today is a red dot. I'll probably be going to the range again Friday so we will try some tweaks, ontop of sighting in the dot. Any recommendations on doing so?
    The "ideal" or "neutral" stance varies a lot from person to person. Mine is with my left (support) foot slightly in front of my right. Maybe 3 or 4". But I don't shoot in my preferred stance that much because my practice involves more than just a target in front of me.

Figuring out how to shoot comfortably and have the gun recoil and return repeatably is the goal. And that is likely to take some trial and error.

Recommendations for sighting in your dot? I like doing that supported (standing or seated) with arms/wrists on a bag or ruck. Gun not touching anything. Make sure you are looking out of the center of your eyes, head erect. A 10-15 yd zero should be fine for now.

User Tag List