Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dryfire practice without the gun

Dryfire practice without the gun

Premise: I travel quite a bit for work and never check a bag on the plane, but I want to be able to execute some form of practice during my hotel nights. Bringing a real or practice firearm along is not an option.

What types of activities/ training can I do that will benefit my AIWB draw or trigger control goals?

Can you bring your carry holster? I guess if you inserted something into it to grab, you could use a shot timer App and practice the steps of getting a master grip near where the gun would be. Not sure that’s worth a lot. Trigger control, eh I dunno. Be interested in what our trainers here think.
    "...As for me and my house, we will serve tacos." Fiesta 24:7

Quote Originally Posted by Archi View Post
    Premise: I travel quite a bit for work and never check a bag on the plane, but I want to be able to execute some form of practice during my hotel nights. Bringing a real or practice firearm along is not an option.

What types of activities/ training can I do that will benefit my AIWB draw or trigger control goals?
    I dryfire a lot without a gun. Airgunning is way better than air guitar. I developed my airgunning skills primarily for USPSA walkthroughs, but I think it's applicable for general skill development. Here's what I recommend:

1. Create a proxy grip that has the same index as when gripping your real gun. For me, that is making a loose fist with my right hand and gripping that fist with my left. My right thumb goes on top of my left thumb, just like it should. I grip hard enough with my L hand that the knuckles on my R hurt.

2. Figure out an aiming scheme that is a proxy for your real gun. The wedge between my thumb knuckles is my sight for airgunning. I can focus on the target and see it framed by the slightly higher R thumb and lower L thumb.

Airgunning lets you work on forming your grip and triangle of support, maybe the most important part of the draw. You can also work transitions between multiple targets, shooting on the move, and a lot more. With some creativity, you can practice reloads using your loose R fist as a magwell.

Trigger control? IMO, most people who can shoot reasonably well spend too much time on that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Something that I have been dry practicing is moving my eyes to the next target before bringing my sights to it when there is an appropriate distance between targets. You would need to have something that would approximate your grip/sights.

Can we get away with a blue gun in a carry on? I wouldn't want to lose a blue gun during a security check.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Something that I have been dry practicing is moving my eyes to the next target before bringing my sights to it when there is an appropriate distance between targets. You would need to have something that would approximate your grip/sights.

Can we get away with a blue gun in a carry on? I wouldn't want to lose a blue gun during a security check.
    No.

Technically, it might be "allowed" since it is entirely plastic and has no moving parts, but "toy guns' are prohibited if "realistic" in appearance and the agents at the airport have discretion. It is very likely to be seized at some point although you may not be fined. Not worth the risk to me.

Acexr. Have flown with one internationally

Site Supporter
    What about a plastic trainer gun cut down to just the grip?
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Acexr. Have flown with one internationally
    In carry-on? Interesting. Any grief from TSA?

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    In carry-on? Interesting. Any grief from TSA?
    Sorry checked international. The grief from tsa was making me check it all 3 times (destinations were mexico, Japan, and germany)

Thanks for the insight @Clusterfrack. I’ll be trying that out.

@RJ - yes, holsters are fine officially but always at the whims of whatever agent is feeling that day.

@G19Fan - looks interesting as a checked option but gonna be a no-go for my needs

@Blades - I have been considering grabbing one of those and cutting it down to just the grip, or 3D printing something similar with a red dot window. I have some grips for stippling practice that are cut down old frames that are no longer firearms to Part A of .gov but not to Part B.

User Tag List