Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Outdoor Loads

Something to keep in mind is the difference between the application of long guns versus hand guns in bear defense, and the most likely requirements to deter an attack.

First, heavy caliber rifles and shotguns with slugs give you the ability to compromise a bear's mobility by hitting shoulders, and other structures, where handguns are more of a finesse instrument. If you look at the statistics, handguns, even in common calibers, are as or slightly more effective in stopping a bear attack than long guns are. The reasons for this are two fold -- we don't have to always kill the bear to make it go away, and handguns are handier in hand to hand fighting.

The reason I advocate for a warning shot, is in many instances that makes the bear go away. It has for me with a warning shot fired from a rifle and a hand gun. If the warning shot is ineffective, a shot to the body might convince the bear to leave, and the attack is over. What we all obsess over, and it is fair, is how do we stop the bear that keeps attacking. Since the most reliable way to stop a close attack with long gun or hand gun is the brain, we want something capable of penetrating the skull of a grizzly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    John Linebaugh corresponded with a number of people using various guns on game, he mentioned one time a guy that was surprised by a largish bear at very close distance and acting hostile, he fired 2 rds of heavy bullet heavy load 45 Colt at it, it turned and went away. As it was close to dusk they went the next morning to find it. He said one shot went in the chest or front shoulder region and ended up breaking the hip, I dont recall if it stopped in the bear.
    I'm pretty sure many of the hardcast or monolithic copper options will penetrate well. Not sure exactly what the guy I was talking to used except that it was something off the shelf and probably designed for target or plinking, not for woods use. He seemed to be a competent hunter, but considerably less knowledgeable about handguns; knew nothing about hardcast or monolithic options. Understands animals, not necessarily the fine points of ammunition.

Just looked at the Cutting Edge website because I need to order some more 45 solids soon, and noticed that they also have a pair of .355 solids now, 115 and 124 gr. That's new since last time on there several months ago. Choices are good to have.

I'm a fan of heavy for caliber hardcast bullets with a nice wide meplate.

I almost hit a 300lbs bear on my way to a hike with my daughter today. Glad I had some 270gr wn-swc in case he wanted to come have words after I parked.

I for one am not that worried about blackies. I know they kill people but I really think I could cuff one hard enough to make it skedaddle. I do however worry about my kids. In the woods I encourage them to explore on there own within reason. Between bobcats and bears I keep my eyes peeled in case I need to drop something stalking my kids.

Name:  20240617_105147.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  20240617_102203.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  49.8 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List