Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Double action revolver discussion and general shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Is there a way you can extend your revolver practice out to 100 yards or more?

Busting rocks and ringing steel with a .357 Magnum at 100 yards plus is super fun. Doing it with a .22 Magnum is 80% of the fun at 33% of the price.

I’ve shot .22 LR revolvers at those ranges. It beats being at work, but it’s just not as much fun.
    I've used my model 19 (6'' barrel) to break clays at 75 yds. Never tried it at 100 yds but if you can shoot better than I can it shouldn't be much of a problem. I've never heard of anyone doing that with a 9 mm revolver. But then there aren't that many 6'' 9mm revolvers about.

I'm sure Elmer could do it, or least write about doing it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I keep in mind the specter of flame erosion on the cylinder gap, all surfaces. High velocity loads (typically with double-base powders) with light bullets are a recipe for that. Because of that, I like heavier bullets and single-base powders for a .357 with a cylinder gap. 1894 and Contender are a different matter.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I’ve always felt that the idea of buying a gun with the idea of having another caliber so you can buy ammo in a shortage is a false economy. If you’ve got $700 in your pocket, it doesn’t make sense to buy a .22 Mag so you can then buy .22 Mag during an ammo shortage. Just buy $700 worth of .22 LR ammo and store it in a cool, dry place.
    I purchased a case (5K) about 6-7 years ago and still have plenty for the hard times. Everyone should have a stash of 22LR, just in case. I think I paid about $260 for that case of CCI SV.

Given the present political climate we might be looking at some civil unrest and a collapse of the economy in the near future. No, I'm not a prepper. Just some common sense precautions. I can eat rabbits, squirrels and my neighbors chickens.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-13-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I keep in mind the specter of flame erosion on the cylinder gap, all surfaces. High velocity loads (typically with double-base powders) with light bullets are a recipe for that. Because of that, I like heavier bullets and single-base powders for a .357 with a cylinder gap. 1894 and Contender are a different matter.
    If one wanted to they could load 357 to the max with whatever bullet they wanted and have one hell of a game rifle. Range dependent of course. It isn't a rifle cartridge by any stretch of the imagination but would do for any medium game out to 100 yds. 100 yds or less is probably the range where most deer are killed with a rifle anyway. Very utilitarian.

This is my back yard. Notice the deer block in the feeder. The garbage can lid attached to the lawn chair is to train squirrels to stay off of my bird feeders. Mostly all trained now. I haven't shot one in years.

Last edited by Borderland; 06-13-2024 at 08:17 PM.

Guess what rabbit hole the latest AFR video sent me down?🤣

Missing Link: The Smith & Wesson Model 68

Name:  IMG_2446.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  99.3 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Guess what rabbit hole the latest AFR video sent me down?🤣

Missing Link: The Smith & Wesson Model 68

Name:  IMG_2446.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  99.3 KB
    I seem to remember someone around here having one of those several years ago. Maybe one either that was carried by, or like the one that had been carried by, their father as a duty gun. Why am I thinking @jetfire here?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I seem to remember someone around here having one of those several years ago. Maybe one either that was carried by, or like the one that had been carried by, their father as a duty gun. Why am I thinking @jetfire here?
    Because that gun looks very similar to the Security Six/Python-Cougar that my dad carried as a cop. Right down to the Pachmayr grips

In the case of many, if not most DA revolvers, the DA notch on the hammer is reached, by the sear, at a farther-forward point, in the travel of the trigger and hammer, than the SA notch on the hammer. The sear is part of the trigger, in the case of the DA revolvers I have disassembled. This will benefit some shooters more than others.

A grip that is ideally shaped for DA shooting is probably not as ideally shaped for SA shooting. A grip that is ideally shaped for SA shooting probably not as ideally shaped for DA shooting. In each case, the ideal grip is custom-made for the shooter’s hand’s dimensions.

In the case of my individual, personal hands, the Ruger GP100’s original factory grip was/is about as good as it gets, for DA shooting. If I cock the hammer, the trigger is then positioned awkwardly too far to the rear.

In my personal case, with several DA revolvers, including the GP100, my hands’ tendency to continuously shake and tremble will physically “steady down” during the DA trigger stroke. When I shoot a single-action revolving pistol, my technique is totally different than shooting a DA revolver in single-action mode.

Then, of course, I agree with there being less tendency to snatch/yank/jerk the trigger, when shooting DA; a mental “steady-down.” When I opted to transition to a SIG P229, to be my duty pistol, in 2004, I went with the DAK trigger system, for that same steadying-down effect. I had tried an NY-1 module in a Glock G22, and not gotten that steadying-down effect.

I am still grieving the “loss” of my much-loved GP100, Speed Six, and K-Frame revolvers. I still have them, but, arthritis had moved into the second knuckle of my less-healthy right hand’s trigger finger, last year. No problem, I thought; I write lefty, and shoot lefty, so, can simply transition to left-side primary carry. My dry-fire route had long been an equal number of reps, with each hand. Then, in April 2024, in the mornings, the second knuckle of my left index finger started to feel like a mosquito had bitten it, every night. A progressively bigger mosquito, each night. Well, y’all can guess where this was going. I suspended my dry-fire training, and by late May, both index fingers got better.

I have several SA revolving pistols, and added another, a stainless Ruger Single Six, .22 WMR. I have not, however, gone Full Yippee-Ki-Yeah. I refreshing my Glock shooting skills, and function-tested a Gen5 G17 that I had added, some time ago, bringing my vetted G17 battery to a pair and a spare.

I then carefully analyzed the mechanics of my trigger stroke, with the Ruger SP101, and observed that the second joint, of the index finger, seems to be stressed less, than when pulling a GP100’s DA trigger. My hand and finger seem to have more mechanical advantage, when stroking the SP101’s trigger. With a modified (reduced) dry fire schedule, my much-loved five-guns remain important, for daily carry.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Father's Day range trip.

My 66-8, 64-3, and buddies 8" 686. the 686 sounded suppressed with 38s.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Father's Day range trip.

My 66-8, 64-3, and buddies 8" 686. the 686 sounded suppressed with 38s.

This was my Father’s Day range trip:

L-R: 3" K6 TLE, .44 Mag Vaquero, 617, 624, 27-5
    Name:  IMG_2460.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  99.1 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List