Thread: Red Dot in Scout type location on detachable handguard AR?

Red Dot in Scout type location on detachable handguard AR?

Just saw this on some random low budget movie, never knew it to be a thing but from the brief image it looked like it might cowitness with the factory irons.

Was this ever a thing, does the height workout with some setups?

Or just typical movie BS?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Just saw this on some random low budget movie, never knew it to be a thing but from the brief image it looked like it might cowitness with the factory irons.

Was this ever a thing, does the height workout with some setups?

Or just typical movie BS?
    You mean an old school 2 piece plastic forend?

I’d vote movie BS - too much slop in that setup for keeping zero. Knight’s and others made a cantilever mount for the old Aimpoint M68 to attach at the end of the flat top receiver and push the optic over the handguard a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Knight’s and others made a cantilever mount for the old Aimpoint M68 to attach at the end of the flat top receiver and push the optic over the handguard a bit.
    I still have a gooseneck that puts the optic forward of the carry handle. I should play with that again.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have or had one that cantilevered the red dot forward of the fixed sights. Can't even remember who made it. Long time ago!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter

I’d vote movie BS - too much slop in that setup for keeping zero. Knight’s and others made a cantilever mount for the old Aimpoint M68 to attach at the end of the flat top receiver and push the optic over the handguard a bit.
    When fixed carry handle uppers were predominant, some ignorant individuals and police departments mounted Aimpoints and EoTechs on the top of handguards instead of using top of carry handle or gooseneck mounts.

Cheap and stupid is a bad combination.

I'm not sure what type of forend, but wasn't Mlock or anything, looked like typical factory forearm in brief glance I saw of it for AR with fixed front sight tower and detachable carry handle rear sight.

It wasn't the cantilever mount, didn't recall those till you mentioned here but I've seen those before wasn't that.

I didn't see a rail on top of the forearm, however it was attached the bottom of the Red Dot body was flush with top of forearm.

Derp, just realize I put detachable handguard in subject but I meant detachable carry handle with the rear sight in it.

User Tag List