Page 104 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1065

Thread: Spyderco fanboy thread

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Para 3?

I really like my LW 3 in Spy27... though I really need to get some better sharpening gear figured out and touch it up better.
    Yep. PM 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Second chance? Not sure what price point you all were looking at, but I got Midway (No connection to them) email today that these were on sale for 147 and change. Additional $25 off for over $100, so $122 pre tax. Free shipping.
    I got to thinking about the lockan wo deri gnic it wouldn't get gummmed up with sand and/or rust out so decided to wait for user reviews.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I got to thinking about the lockan wo deri gnic it wouldn't get gummmed up with sand and/or rust out so decided to wait for user reviews.
    Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Wut?
    Ooof that was some fat-figering on my part! Let me try that again.

I got to thinking about the lock and wondering if it wouldn't get gummmed up with sand and/or rust out so decided to wait for user reviews.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

While we are on the subject of Salt line knives…

Are there any with smooth(er) handles?

Wife has been carrying a Kershaw while she paddle boards which is just going to rust. I gave her one of my Salt knives but she complained that the rough handle on the clip side was tearing up the clothes (bikini) she attached it to.

Site Supporter

Wife has been carrying a Kershaw while she paddle boards which is just going to rust. I gave her one of my Salt knives but she complained that the rough handle on the clip side was tearing up the clothes (bikini) she attached it to.
    In the Salt line, I only have an older Pacific with FRN handle, so anything else is going to have a different texture. The Carribean has G10 scales. If those aren’t smooth enough, that can be adjusted. But won’t a smooth handle be more slippery? Won’t that make it more prone to loss by slipping from the cloth instead of gripping between the handle and clip?

Does she wear a PFD when doing that activity? Just thinking the straps on a PFD could be an attachment point that wouldn’t tear up the bikini.

The ARK is a neck knife, no lock b/c it’s in a kydex sheathe. Could add a clip instead of the necklace, if that’s a problem. Spydie Chief - $$$, but titanium handle should be much easier on the clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    In the Salt line, I only have an older Pacific with FRN handle, so anything else is going to have a different texture. The Carribean has G10 scales. If those aren’t smooth enough, that can be adjusted. But won’t a smooth handle be more slippery? Won’t that make it more prone to loss by slipping from the cloth instead of gripping between the handle and clip?
    yes, yes it is. but... women?

Does she wear a PFD when doing that activity? Just thinking the straps on a PFD could be an attachment point that wouldn’t tear up the bikini.
    she has one, but it's a deployable strap style, and she rarely actually "wears" it. and again... women. She expressed interest in one of the Bote fanny packs, so maybe there's some option there.

The ARK is a neck knife, no lock b/c it’s in a kydex sheathe. Could add a clip instead of the necklace, if that’s a problem.
    I have one of these with both a clip and a 550-wrapped chain on it that I'm going to offer her. Issue is the draw can kind of leave one open to damaging equipment or themselves. I've actually been trying to figure a way to mount it on the back of my own phone case. Couldn't figure a good way to attach it to my own PFD. I thought the little square tab on the front would work but it kind of puts it in the way of paddling a kayak. Looked at trying to attach it to the strap but that's also presented challenges.

Spydie Chief - $$$, but titanium handle should be much easier on the clothing.
    yeah, that's definitely a bridge too far as I'd rather not have $400 go overboard.

My thought with putting replacement handles on the Salt 2 is that there's a "sunk cost" there that I'm ignoring even though replacement cost would still be uncomfortable with some aftermarket handles added.

maybe I'll just try and expoxy-fill some plastic aftermarket scales for the Dragonfly and if that work then swap them out.

Site Supporter
    yes, yes it is. but... women?

she has one, but it's a deployable strap style, and she rarely actually "wears" it. and again... women. She expressed interest in one of the Bote fanny packs, so maybe there's some option there.

I have one of these with both a clip and a 550-wrapped chain on it that I'm going to offer her. Issue is the draw can kind of leave one open to damaging equipment or themselves. I've actually been trying to figure a way to mount it on the back of my own phone case. Couldn't figure a good way to attach it to my own PFD. I thought the little square tab on the front would work but it kind of puts it in the way of paddling a kayak. Looked at trying to attach it to the strap but that's also presented challenges.

yeah, that's definitely a bridge too far as I'd rather not have $400 go overboard.
    I was thinking about this: I have and adore a Sage 2, which is the titanium frame lock. One of my top three pocket knives. And it is easier than some other stuff on my clothes.

My thought with putting replacement handles on the Salt 2 is that there's a "sunk cost" there that I'm ignoring even though replacement cost would still be uncomfortable with some aftermarket handles added.

maybe I'll just try and expoxy-fill some plastic aftermarket scales for the Dragonfly and if that work then swap them out.
    You know, my brother asked me about knives for kayaking some big river in Washington a couple of years ago. I told him to get two or three stainless Moras and forget about spending more money than that on knives that are probably going to only last a season or two before they get sacrificed to the water gods.

FWIW, I usually stay off the water.

Site Supporter

Im carrying a Pacific Salt in H1 right now that has the circle-square plastic sides. Pretty sure it won’t cut through a bikini. Unless you want it to 😳

Ooof that was some fat-figering on my part! Let me try that again.
    I got to thinking about the lock and wondering if it wouldn't get gummmed up with sand and/or rust out so decided to wait for user reviews.
    You might be right about dirt in the lock area, but do not worry about rust. This guy on Youtube tested the Manix 2 Salt and there was zero rust on the spring and the ball bearing is ceramic. His reviews are sometimes a little wonky, but he did a proper home version of a salt spray test, so the results definitely mean something. https://youtu.be/qvBFvWYKPZE?si=TZIqT4X9X26tyAC2
    Maybe a more robust lock is Spyderco's back lock, so the Native 5 Salt in Magnacut could be of interest. It will be even more corrosion resistant because it completely lacks liners and washers.

User Tag List