Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Maverick - whats the point?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I wanted a bed for limited capacity, but still needed to fit into normal size parking spaces and a small garage. Plus, Covid availability sucked. I considered a Ranger but ended up with a Ridgeline. I don’t have any regrets, it’s quite a bit bigger than the Ranger let alone the Maverick.

Trucklets have a place.
    This. Modern pick-ups have gotten insanely large and the manufacturers have abandoned a market segment where the demand still exists. For a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, a "trucklet" is ideal. The 90s era Rangers, Tacomas, S10s, etc were just fine for many folks (including myself), but now the remaining vehicles bearing those names are bigger than the F150s of the late 80s and early 90s.

My mom has an older GMC Canyon as a 2nd vehicle and is routinely asked if she wants to sell it. She doesn't though because she does need to haul stuff occasionally that won't fit into her Buick crossover.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This. Modern pick-ups have gotten insanely large and the manufacturers have abandoned a market segment where the demand still exists. For a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, a "trucklet" is ideal. The 90s era Rangers, Tacomas, S10s, etc were just fine for many folks (including myself), but now the remaining vehicles bearing those names are bigger than the F150s of the late 80s and early 90s.

My mom has an older GMC Canyon as a 2nd vehicle and is routinely asked if she wants to sell it. She doesn't though because she does need to haul stuff occasionally that won't fit into her Buick crossover.

Chris
    When I bought my second F150 in 2000, it was already hard to find a regular (2dr, not extended) cab, 2WD, with an 8' bed. I finally did find one with a V6 and standard transmission. Now it's probably impossible. My 2015 Tacoma is a total compromise: 4 dr, short bed. The only difference between it and a hatchback for hauling is that I can load appliances in it. My Accord wagon was better for hauling something long.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I wanted a bed for limited capacity, but still needed to fit into normal size parking spaces and a small garage. Plus, Covid availability sucked. I considered a Ranger but ended up with a Ridgeline. I don’t have any regrets, it’s quite a bit bigger than the Ranger let alone the Maverick.

Trucklets have a place.
    Do you find you would have managed with the Maverick bed if you went that route?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    It sort of seems like a convertible back SUV. I can't imagine you would be able to haul a lot of stuff in it?
    Yet I seem to see them everywhere, and anyone who owns one seems to love them.
    90% of people with full size trucks MIGHT haul a sheet of plywood every couple years, and CAFE mpg requirements are based on the footprint/shadow of a truck (which is a major reason why model bloat is a thing, frankly).

Going to a unibody, using a car motor, and basically building a car that can occasionally haul small objects, is vastly more practical for a large portion of the population. It's cheaper to build than a cab-on-chassis, cheaper to insure, and fits in a lot more garages/parking spaces.

The Maverick isn't a competitor or replacement for Rangers and F150s. It's an alternative to a small hatchback or CUV.

Thinking back to when I was a college student and new grad out of school the Maverick would have been the perfect vehicle. I made do with a small hatchback but there were many times I wanted a small bed.

In 2008 I was lusting after the Pontiac G8 SUT, but unfortunately it was killed before making it into the market.

Clearly, they're doing something right, considering they seem to sell very well and everybody who owns one seems to love them

Trucklets have a place.
    The Ridgeline is the truck most people need. (if not full a size) It's just not as cool as the image of a TRD etc. that most will never be asked to do any more than a Ridgeline can. They are roomy and drive much better than the outgoing Taco generation. The new Taco is better but still small

The Maverick has more capability than a crossover or a SW and is cooler for many entry level buyers

Some interesting comments.

Ive owned mostly 4x pickups and suvs. With the exception of the freebie old family farm pickup, all have had a shell of some sort on them to keep dogs and gear safe and dry. I eventually went to Suburbans and a 4runner (a big selling point to me was the rear heat and AC for the dogs). As far as carrying stuff that wont fit in a shell or suv or roof rack, thats what trailers are for. A pickup bed trailer or 16' flatbed covers most needs, as does a day rental of a uhaul trailer for under $20. I have to admit I kind of dont get the whole fascination with pickups (especially open beds) and the presumed macho image, suvs seem much more overall useful to me, but nobody asked....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Do you find you would have managed with the Maverick bed if you went that route?
    Probably, but the cab volume was much too small. It’s a tiny little thing, and I was look at it coming from a CR-V which was pretty small. I could have probably made it work if I didn’t have three across seating in back as a requirement.

And to be honest, if a Maverick had been in contention so would have been a Hyundai Santa Cruz which is even smaller - but reminds me of my beloved BRAT.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Face it, someone with a screen name "Heavy Duty" ain't driving a Maverick.
    Maybe it's an ironic nickname, like Samoan guys called "Tiny".

User Tag List