Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: REI Boycotting Vista Outdoors for Supporting NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Why? An outdoor equipment company chose feel-good city moron politics over constitutional rights. They deserve to fail, painfully. I hope all of their leadership involved in making that 'GUNS BAD' decision feels terrible financial stress and deeply regrets choosing that path.
    I can buy fancy backpacks somewhere else. To hell with 'em all.
    Sorry, my sarcasm didn't come through. I meant that as in mean Tweet "sad". Or sad, not sad?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-26-2024 at 10:40 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I sent them a long letter back when I first posted in this thread and got back the exact sort of reply you'd expect from a woke automaton. There was no reasoning with them.

Haven't missed doing business with them either, and I first became a member in the early 70's.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I actually think it is sad. They have had good customer service, convenient locations, and a pretty good selection. I have had an REI credit card for ten or more years and enjoy getting a dividend to spend on more outdoors gear.

$300 million in losses is a large hole to climb out of, even larger than the hole USPSA is in! Seems like REI is just another example that you either run a business or worship woke causes, but it is hard to do both.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When I moved to Seattle in 1975 I became a member. Hiked a lot in those days and REI was a good place to shop. They used to have a loft where a person could find used gear cheap. Several good Seattle outdoor stores lost their way in the 90's. One was REI, the other Eddie Bauer. JanSport, a Seattle company I discovered in the early 80's, got most of my money.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

It's not like they actually lost money. They just didn't see as much come in the door as they did last year.

Revenues for 2023 were $3.76 billion, compared with $3.85 billion the previous year. REI added 1.3 million new members, bringing its total to 24 million. REI distributed $57 million in employee retirement and incentives and $200 million through its member rewards program.
    The 1.3 million new members could help fill that gap if REI leaders find the right mix of cheap foreign-made gear that people want to buy from them. Actual profit could be better on lower revenue if leaders manage the margins well.

Still, a pox on their house for boycotting Vista. In the six years since this thread opened, I've probably spent around $10k on the kind of gear that REI carries, but I bought none of it from them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's not like they actually lost money. They just didn't see as much come in the door as they did last year.

The 1.3 million new members could help fill that gap if REI leaders find the right mix of cheap foreign-made gear that people want to buy from them. Actual profit could be better on lower revenue if leaders manage the margins well.

Still, a pox on their house for boycotting Vista. In the six years since this thread opened, I've probably spent around $10k on the kind of gear that REI carries, but I bought none of it from them.

Okie John
    I'm not sure what source you are referring to, but the article I linked indicates that they lost $300+ million on the bottom line, almost double their bottom line loss for the year previous.

Name:  IMG_8432.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  55.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I'm not sure what source you are referring to, but the article I linked indicates that they lost $300+ million on the bottom line, almost double their bottom line loss for the year previous.

Name:  IMG_8432.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  55.2 KB
    I clicked the link in Post #87. I'm reading "revenue" as gross, not net.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have been a USAA member since 1983. They advertise with the NFL and they got an earful from USAA members about the NFL and the "take a knee" issue disrespecting the military and those who fought for the flag. USAA response was surprising "progressive-leaning",pro-NFL players, and irritated a lot of veterans. I have told USAA repeatedly that they are not now the USAA of 1983 and I did not mean that as a compliment. When I joined, you had to be an officer. Then you could be an NCO. Then you could be anyone who served in any capacity. Then it was kids of those who were members. Both my grown kids are USAA members merely because they were related to someone who served. They are just a very good insurance company now who used to have ties to the military.
    I would substitute very expensive for very good. After 30 odd years of membership, I finally switched. Premiums dropped by half on both home and auto. And you forgot the final tier of membership- folks who are pretty sure they once knew a guy who probably served.😁

Meh. I can't remember who I'm supposed to boycott anymore. The list has gotten so long of all the companies and people I'm supposed to be mad at (and truthfully there's good reason to be pissed at them) that if I boycotted all the anti-conservative-gun-whatever people/companies I'd have to grow all my own food, refine my own gasoline, spin my own thread to make my own clothes, etc. That's too much to delegate to my wife, she put her foot down and says no way. So I'm just gonna carry on my merry way and buy from whoever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I would substitute very expensive for very good. After 30 odd years of membership, I finally switched. Premiums dropped by half on both home and auto. And you forgot the final tier of membership- folks who are pretty sure they once knew a guy who probably served.😁
    Do tell…
    I’ve been a USAA member since 1989. Never seriously investigated other home and auto options (aside from Hagarty for “collectible” cars).
    Are there truly better options with comparable benefits?

User Tag List