Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    What did STI do during their rebrand that made their guns reliable?

I also notice you apparently don't need to shell out $140 for a mag that works now.
    1) STI sold the company to new owners.

2) They brought in two very talented gunsmiths, Dave Dawson and Shawn Armstrong (lead gunsmith at Nighthawk prior to Stacatto) and actually listened to them.

3) Re-designed the magazines, and most importantly outsourced the production of the new magazines to a company that specializes in making magazines resulting in a consistent product.

Previously, STI magazines were made in house by means best described as “Geptepto’s workshop.” if you saw how the STI magazines were made, it’s no surprise that some of them worked and some of them didn’t unless they were tuned. I.e. brought back to the proper dimensions and specifications.

There’s a reason why most major gun companies, Beretta, Sig, Smith & Wesson etc outsource most are all of their magazine production.

4) Gave a bunch of free guns to "tactical" gun influencers as a shift away from the small competition shooting market to focus on the bigger "tactical" market.

5) Marketed heavily to law enforcement, resulting on .0001% of police departments in the US adopting the Staccato as a duty pistol. SWAT teams, notorious for feeling they need to differentiate themselves from regular patrol or agents, adopted them at a slightly higher rate.

But magazines, mostly.
    Last edited by Rocky Racoon; 05-26-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    4) Gave a bunch of free guns to "tactical" gun influencers as a shift away from the small competition shooting market to focus on the bigger "tactical" market.

5) Marketed heavily to law enforcement, resulting on .0001% of police departments in the US adopting the Staccato as a duty pistol. SWAT teams, notorious for feeling they need to differentiate themselves from regular patrol or agents, adopted them at a slightly higher rate.

But magazines, mostly.
    Explain how either your #4 or #5 has anything to do with boosting reliability? The guns work and work well. Some people just can’t accept that a 2011 can be reliable. It goes against everything they’ve ever known. I’ve personally seen over 50 samples fire well over 1k each, with the only thing close to a malfunction be some weak ejection due to lack of lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Explain how either your #4 or #5 has anything to do with boosting reliability? The guns work and work well. Some people just can’t accept that a 2011 can be reliable. It goes against everything they’ve ever known. I’ve personally seen over 50 samples fire well over 1k each, with the only thing close to a malfunction be some weak ejection due to lack of lubrication.
    I think as long as you run them wet, clean your mags when they go into the dirt, and keep your thumbs off the slide with the XC, they are surprisingly reliable. I think the CS and C have the potential to be even more reliable, as the mag is scaled to 9mm cartridges and not .38 Super.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    How do those 50 samples compare against the 50 samples of pre-Staccato STI's you also observed?

Now tell me the difference between the pistols, besides better magazines?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    How do those 50 samples compare against the 50 samples of pre-Staccato STI's you also observed?

Now tell me the difference between the pistols, besides better magazines?
    I don’t know of any widespread agency adoption of STI pistols. Most all the pre staccato STI’s I’ve seen were completely tinkered with race guns, so their reliability or lack thereof, really doesn’t say much for agency adopted duty use. The gen3 magazines work well and haven’t needed any adjustments.

Just like every other metal frame pistol, you have to keep it lubed.
    Just like every other 1911 design that doesn't have a drop safety or Ti firing pin, it will fire if dropped AND it lands muzzle down.

We've known both of these things for decades.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Just like every other metal frame pistol, you have to keep it lubed.
    Just like every other 1911 design that doesn't have a drop safety or Ti firing pin, it will fire if dropped AND it lands muzzle down.

We've known both of these things for decades.
    Replacement Wolff recoil springs come with extra power firing pin springs. Are these extra power firing pin springs good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Replacement Wolff recoil springs come with extra power firing pin springs. Are these extra power firing pin springs good enough?
    Does Staccato use an XP spring as OEM? I haven't seen a current production gun. Guns from 2021-2022 use standard power IIRC.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Wilson and Ed Brown also sell extra power springs.

Someone else may have more detailed info, but my understanding is an extra power spring and a traditional (steel .45 size) pin is going to buy you some more feet of drop, you’ll get yet more with the same spring and a 9mm diameter pin (which many .45 guns are now made to take), and then the spring and a titanium pin is almost as drop safe as a gun with a firing pin block.

For what it’s worth I run a gun with an extra power spring and a 9mm pin.

User Tag List