Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a new 10/22 for club level Precision Rifle competition - optic?

Setting up a new 10/22 for club level Precision Rifle competition - optic?

My new gun club hosts rimfire and centerfire Precision Rifle matches, and I have a new 10/22 I’m setting up for casual competition. (If the bug bites hard, I’ll look at higher end bolt guns.) I’m to the point where I need to pick an optic.

This rifle is a 20” LVT in a KRG stock and a EGA 20 MOA extended base plus a MagPul bipod. I was going to put my SWFA 12x on it, but the club is strongly suggesting at least 16x. COF is 50 and 100, with two stages at 200. I really don’t know scopes, but I do know I don’t want to spend a fortune on this.

Any excruciatingly specific scope suggestions? Adjustable parallax is a must. Fixed power is fine, and may be preferential for this - I don’t know.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Given the intended use, does anyone have opinions on Arken scopes? I’ve seen them mentioned in a few places for rimfire precision, and they have side parallax adjustment down to 25 yards. Japanese glass with a zero stop. A SH-4J 6-24x50 FFP with cantilever mount is just under $400 on sale.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I have a couple of Arkens on rimfires and they're excellent scopes. I'd guess their quality matches many of the $1000 scopes.

Some local shooters have them on their 1000 yard centerfire guns and they are holding up well. I've read about people using them on 50 BMG.

I just saw on Facebook that Arken is having a Memorial Day Sale. Use code: LOWEST

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I have a couple of Arkens on rimfires and they're excellent scopes. I'd guess their quality matches many of the $1000 scopes.

Some local shooters have them on their 1000 yard centerfire guns and they are holding up well. I've read about people using them on 50 BMG.
    That is good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I just saw on Facebook that Arken is having a Memorial Day Sale. Use code: LOWEST
    I saw that, and it’s pressing my decision - I like sales!
    Ken

I haven’t bought a MOA scope in years, but I’m leaning that way - despite trying I have a hard time thinking in MRAD.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I haven’t bought a MOA scope in years, but I’m leaning that way - despite trying I have a hard time thinking in MRAD.
    Don't do it. Mils are actually easier once you put in the work. I don't know anyone in the precision rifle world who uses moa and is happy about it. One guy was a contractor in Vietnam and whacked a lot of enemy using moa. He told me he's too old to change to mils but if he could he would.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have an assortment of MOA and MIL. The MIL is easier to use.

Don't concern yourself with inches. Measure with the markings on your reticle.

I used to shoot a lot of long range 22 rimfire with targets at 100, 200 and 300. Mostly shot a Winchester single shot with an 8x Lyman junior targetspot. I never felt the need for higher magnification and really preferred to dial in the elevation in the mount. I think 12x would be more than enough magnification unless the targets are really small.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Ok, I’ll stick with MIL. I’m going to order that Arken while it’s on sale.
    Ken

User Tag List