Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clusterfrack's Lab

Clusterfrack's Lab

I've had some recent requests to index my crazy P-F inventions, so here they are. Make sure to click over to the original thread for context and more information.

All of these ideas are "use at your own risk". If you shoot your dick off, that's on you.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Junk Carry Pillow

Note that this is now a commercial product (that I have no financial interest in): https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop?category=Wedges

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Updated images for broken links in the original post:

Dear fellow AIWB (aka "junk") carriers,

I have finally put together some illustrated instructions for my Junk Carry Pillow (JCP), as seen in the JMCK thread and elsewhere. A few notes before I get into the details: 1) I use this device to cushion my AIWB holsters, which are carried at 12:30, and ride between junk and thigh (not over the leg at 1:00). 2) Comfort is one reason I use a cushion, but it also ensures that the muzzle is pointed away from my body. I'll leave it up to you to decide if this device might be a good idea for you; if you shoot your dick off it's not my fault. 3) I am not very good at sewing, and won't make one of these for anyone so don't ask.

Components:
    Multicam NyCo ripstop fabric

Hook velcro (use two long strips side by side for more flexibility to conform to holster).

Sticky loop velcro

Instructions:
    Cut enough sticky velcro to cover lower inside of holster. Round off corners with scissors. Clean holster twice with rubbing alcohol, and heat gently with a hair dryer. Then apply sticky velcro, making sure to cover the part that rubs on your inner thigh.

Cut cloth into a 12" x 4" strip (or 12 x 3 if you want a narrower pillow).

Sew on two strips of hook velcro making sure total width is no greater than your loop strip on the holster. Note in the pictures below how the velcro goes on one side of the strip, but leaves room for the wide "bellows" described below. The gap between the hook velcro makes the pillow conform to the holster better than one big strip.

Bonus for cutting the thread with your Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

Now, work on the inside of the cloth.

Sew off top edges to prevent unravelling.

Fold cloth in half, and make a "bellows" at the bottom.

Sew the four edges of the bellows at 45 degrees.

Sew the sides of the cloth to make a pocket with the bellows at the end. Stop at the bellows. Don't sew into it.

Turn the pocket right side out and check dimensions. If you suck at sewing like me, you'll probably have to redo it.

If it looks good, sew the sides and the bellows a second time so it doesn't come apart in the washing machine. You may want to taper the side stitches toward the mouth of the pocket.

Stuff the pocket with polyfill to make a pillow. Try it on the holster, and test it in your pants using an unloaded gun.

When it's right, close the top with a single line of stitches. (You may want to open it again after the stuffing compresses.)

Add a vertical line of stitches between the velcro strips to keep the polyfill down at the bottom of the JCP where it belongs.

Good job dude! Your JCP is done.

Quick-Release Field Cover for Pistol Mounted Optics

Update on the RDS field cover project: it works for the 509t2. (I haven't had a chance to try it for the Acro yet, but will get to it soon).

Parts

Instructions:
    • Cut front tab off cover if it gets in the way.
    • Cut 1/8" horizontal slit at front bottom of cover.
    • Cut two 1/8" horizontal slits 1/32" apart at rear bottom of cover. Pull rubber out to make one wider slit. NOTE: I am now thinking that a round hole from a paper punch will be better at the rear, for function and durability.
    • Cut 16" length of coreless paracord. Melt ends.
    • Tie a Stevedore Stopper knot or equivalent at one end.
    • Push/pull unknotted end of paracord through the front and rear slits in cover using your fingernails.
    • Install cover so that paracord runs on the midline parallel to the muzzle with no slack on the inside of cover.
    • Holster gun.
    • Tie paracord to belt with minimal slack.

Drawing the gun tightens the paracord on the inside of the cover, removing it.

Acro version:

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-26-2024 at 01:47 PM.

Extractor Pin Access Port in Rear Iron Sight

I'm a big fan of putting the rear iron sight in front of the optic. But, the sight channel covers the extractor pin. So, I had a friend and local gunsmith machine access ports in the rear irons. Now I can service the extractor without removing the sight. Holes are sealed with RTV silicone.

Low, Non-Cowitness BUIS

I have been experimenting with very low BUIS on my RDS-equipped handguns. This setup uses a rear sight with notch just visible at the bottom of the window, and a shorter-than-normal front sight, which shifts the POI up into the center of the optic window.

The POA remains the same regardless of whether the dot is on. The index is the same with dot and BUIS.

Not surprisingly, I've had numerous questions about this setup--first and foremost whether I can hit anything with the dot off. See below. Low Witness works really well and I recommend giving it a try. If you have a Glock, the switch is especially easy. All that's required is a front sight that's about 0.050" shorter.

Vince at Stonebridge Gunworks is going to offer this BUIS setup as an option.
    @JCN’s diagram helped explain WTF this is all about.

Attachment 94685

Modern Gunslinger Belt: a Homebrew Gunbelt for OWB Carry While Hiking

Final version, with Safariland UBL Mid-Ride / QLS and T-Rex thigh strap.

My goal for this project is a way to carry my Glock 20 or P-07 OWB while I’m hiking in bear and cougar country with a pack that has a waist belt. I’ve tried two approaches, with only partial success. Surprisingly, AIWB with a JMCK WC2.5 and Mastermind ACP pillow-wedge are comfortable for an all-day adventure. But, obviously there’s a trade-off with sweat and flexibility at the waist. As well, AIWB is not optimal when wearing raingear. The 2nd and more promising rig is a Safariland Pro-Fit GLS holster on a 6070UBL Mid-Ride QLS drop mount. I have GLS’s for the G20 and P-07, and they work way better than a $50 holster has a right to: gamer-fast draws and solid L1 retention. They also fit guns with RDS. However, when the UBL is attached to my pants belt it pulls my pants down. And raingear presents a problem as well. @GJM, @JCL, @Cdub_NW

I wanted a 2” thin, flexible yet stiff-enough belt that I can wear OVER all of my clothes, and UNDER the pack belt. After looking at a bunch of low-profile battle and duty belts, I decided to try to make one instead. The results are very promising. Images follow in the next post.

(See parts list below from Strapworks.com)
    Instructions:
    1. Cut Biothane to the desired length, about 4-6” less than minimum waist circumference. Do not make Biothane too long! There is no way to trim it after inserting it in the webbing.
    2. Use a hole punch to make a hole at one end of the Biothane. Trim corners 1/4" to make it not catch on webbing.
    3. Drop Paracord (total length >16’) through the 2” tubular nylon strap
    4. Loop the paracord through the hole in the Biothane and tie off with a bowline knot at least 2’ up the cord.
    5. Tie the other end of the paracord to a solid object (e.g. gunsafe handle)
    6. Grab tubular nylon and pull Biothane inside it, until it’s about 4” from the end and the knot is visible. This step will take some massaging, but I had no problem with it.
    7. Untie paracord and pull out
    8. Measure final length of belt, including strap needed to secure the female side of the buckle, and to adjust the free end on the male side as needed (at least 12” on that side).
    9. Cut and press ends, preferably using a hot knife. I used a torch and a razor blade clamped in Vice Grips.
    10. Thread buckles on, female fixed on gun side, male with free end for adjustment.

5’ x 2 Inch Tubular Nylon Black with Blue Tracer. Note: polyester webbing does not work.
    WSR-NYL-TUB-002-BLB

2 Inch Plastic 3-Bar Slide
    PLH-SLD-002-BLK

3’ x 2 Inch Biothane Granite High Flex Black Opaque (longer if you're a 'big boy')
    WSR-BIO-GRT-002-FLX-BLK

No-Sew 2" Cobra Buckle (allows belt to be used as a [use-at-your-own-risk] belay/safety belt)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPPGNV/

--OR--
    2 Inch Plastic Side Release Buckle Single Adjust
    PLH-SRB-002-SAD-DST

Total ~ $30 ($65 with Cobra buckle)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-26-2024 at 01:49 PM.

How to break up dogfights with OC spray

Breaking up dogfights is hard when you're trying to avoid getting bitten and not hurt your dog. I've found that OC spray to the butthole makes a dog stop fighting very quickly.

EDC Light Pocket Clip

After bending my pocket clip yet again, I'm trying something new:

Tec P-7 Suspension Clip
    https://www.amazon.com/TEC-Accessori.../dp/B01N6T6UFQ

Cheap but equivalent knockoff
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KYQZLSJ/

Glock 20 Reliability Enhancements for Heavy 10mm

SUCCESS!

Zero malfunctions, and good groups with a wide variety of loads, including heavy 200 gr hard cast Beartooth.

The keys are: 24# RSA and 460R mag spring and mag shims.

Breaking up dogfights is hard when you're trying to avoid getting bitten and not hurt your dog. I've found that OC spray to the butthole makes a dog stop fighting very quickly.
    You’re gonna need to train. Add this to the downloadable, printable target files:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not going down the debate rabbit hole regarding candidates for our next president in 2024, but I am truly and completely tired of this particular asshole.
    -1911nut

User Tag List