Thread: Landslide in PNG

Landslide in PNG

@Joe in PNG, you okay? Assuming so, any insight?

Death Toll in Papua New Guinea Landslide Estimated to Be at Least 670

At least 670 people are assumed to have died after a landslide in Papua New Guinea, according to a local United Nations official. The landslide hit a rural region of the island nation early Friday, but search-and-rescue efforts have been hampered by difficulty in reaching the disaster site and by the hazard that the shifting ground continues to pose.

This danger has prompted many survivors to abandon their homes, according to Serhan Aktoprak, the chief of mission at the International Organization for Migration’s office in Papua New Guinea, who estimated that over 250 houses were abandoned and that roughly 1,250 people were displaced.

The region, in Enga Province, is densely populated, according to local officials, and has a young population. The authorities fear that many of the fatalities will be children under 15.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/26/w...smid=url-share

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    @Joe in PNG, you okay?
    I saw that just a bit ago and had the same thought. Praying he's OK!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Isn’t Joe in Australia on a vacation right now?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Back in the USA for the summer, so I'm fine.

Sadly, it's not the first major landslip of the year either- just the biggest so far.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

The funny thing is that most PNG news is concerned more with the upcoming Vote of No Confidence.

The landslip isn't even on today's webpage of the Post Courier.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Back in the USA for the summer, so I'm fine.

Sadly, it's not the first major landslip of the year either- just the biggest so far.
    What's summer like in PNG? I'm guessing no fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    What's summer like in PNG? I'm guessing no fun?
    There's pretty much only two seasons- Wet and Dry. Wet is pretty much constant, especially up in the Highlands- not to hot, not to cold.
    Dry goes from pretty cold in the morning to bloody hot in the afternoon. No where as hot as Florida.

User Tag List