Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very Low Recoil Defense loads for shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Looking at the payload weight and the velocity will give you a good idea of what kind of recoil it offers.
    Yup, it is simply math.
    Seems like the trend has always been to reduce velocity (with maybe a slight reduction in payload from 9 to 8), maybe reducing payload and maintaining velocity would be a valid alternative approach, and reducing shot size might be a way to reduce the payload, rather than bumping up the count as diameter is reduced. If Qty9 of #00 is the established standard that is known to be effective, perhaps Qty10 of #1 at the same velocity would be much more manageable in pump guns and still over 400 grains on target. Maybe single ought has been overlooked?

Name:  Shot Weight.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  14.2 KB

And I had all this typed up before I actually watched all of the video...

With a shoulder and back injury Ive been unable to shoot shotguns, other than a 410 in a gauge reducer. The answer for my use was to remove the stock. When I tried a shockwave, I had a way to shoot shotguns again. Ive been on the lookout for a beater stock for my model 12 to cut down to raptor type.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm way out of my lane here, but wouldn't you need more weight of the pellet in order to get proper penetration when velocity is reduced? I'm thinking 000 might be the ticket even though you'll have fewer pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm way wouldn't you need more weight of the pellet in order to get proper penetration when velocity is reduced?
    Or simply the same number of smaller/lighter pellets at the higher typical velocity? The video is cool because it just points out that swapping out the same number of #1 for the #00 makes for a nice grouping load (without the magic wad...) still at good velocity.

Site Supporter
    I saw this thread a while ago, and maybe saw discussion on the Fiocchi buck loads somewhere else, but I have to come back to it.

I first bought several boxes of the Fiocchi boxes marked OOB in 2020 when things were impossible to find. It patterned alright in the pump gun I had at the time. Got a 1301 not quite two years ago, and it patterned quite well in it, especially compared to LE132 and LE133. So I bought a case of Fiocchi marked OO from PSA last November. Hulls are the same blue color, brass the same length as the 2020 production stuff. Part number 12EXOOBK.

Bought a second case of Fiocchi buck from PSA a couple months ago. Didn't even think to look all that close because it appeared to be the same. Except it's not. Low brass like light birdshot loads, clear in color. Part number 12EX9P.

Yeah, they're all 1B. I'd cut apart one of the 2020 shells before, but didn't look close enough, apparently. Cut apart one from each case of the newer stuff, and they all averaged around .30 cal, right at 40 grains. Only difference in the two is the wad is slightly different on the 12EX9P, and I hope that doesn't make it pattern like crap.

I also had one each of Federal Power Shok 9 pellet OO and Hornady Critical Defense #86240 8 pellet, they both averaged similarly, though a little light at .32 caliber and 47 grains per pellet.

February 2023, I chronographed several rounds from the 1301, the 8 pellet FFC averaged 1110 fps and the Fiocchi 1224. I'm not really mad about it, especially with the price, but it would be nice for things to be marked correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I saw this thread a while ago, and maybe saw discussion on the Fiocchi buck loads somewhere else, but I have to come back to it.

I first bought several boxes of the Fiocchi boxes marked OOB in 2020 when things were impossible to find. It patterned alright in the pump gun I had at the time. Got a 1301 not quite two years ago, and it patterned quite well in it, especially compared to LE132 and LE133. So I bought a case of Fiocchi marked OO from PSA last November. Hulls are the same blue color, brass the same length as the 2020 production stuff. Part number 12EXOOBK.

Bought a second case of Fiocchi buck from PSA a couple months ago. Didn't even think to look all that close because it appeared to be the same. Except it's not. Low brass like light birdshot loads, clear in color. Part number 12EX9P.

Yeah, they're all 1B. I'd cut apart one of the 2020 shells before, but didn't look close enough, apparently. Cut apart one from each case of the newer stuff, and they all averaged around .30 cal, right at 40 grains. Only difference in the two is the wad is slightly different on the 12EX9P, and I hope that doesn't make it pattern like crap.

I also had one each of Federal Power Shok 9 pellet OO and Hornady Critical Defense #86240 8 pellet, they both averaged similarly, though a little light at .32 caliber and 47 grains per pellet.

February 2023, I chronographed several rounds from the 1301, the 8 pellet FFC averaged 1110 fps and the Fiocchi 1224. I'm not really mad about it, especially with the price, but it would be nice for things to be marked correctly.
    So the 1301 cycles fine with the Fioicchi No 1 B load? I might just give up and start budgeting for one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    So the 1301 cycles fine with the Fioicchi No 1 B load? I might just give up and start budgeting for one of those.
    Semi-joking response from the peanut gallery, but I'm pretty sure my 1301T would cycle with birdshot mini shells.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Yes. I haven’t found a load it won’t digest, but I don’t think I’ve run anything through it rated under 1200 fps sans Flite Control.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Semi-joking response from the peanut gallery, but I'm pretty sure my 1301T would cycle with birdshot mini shells.
    I’d try it on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Yes. I haven’t found a load it won’t digest, but I don’t think I’ve run anything through it rated under 1200 fps sans Flite Control.

I’d try it on a whim.
    I've yet to see any semi that will run the super-low-recoil AAs.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List