Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Staccato C

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Yep. Gun even predates revolvers being drop safe.
    Seems like 1911/2011 pistols discharge hitting muzzle first, where the 320 was muzzle up?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Yep. Gun even predates revolvers being drop safe.
    Nitpick Alert:

Uh, no.
    Iver Johnson introduced the Safety Automatic with "Hammer the Hammer" transfer bar ca 1895.
    Colt started putting in the Positive Safety hammer block in 1905 although it took a while for it to percolate through the lineup.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Are guns that are not drop safe, a risk for appendix? Possibility of a car accident or an accident in general to cause the gun to discharge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Nitpick Alert:

Uh, no.
    Iver Johnson introduced the Safety Automatic with "Hammer the Hammer" transfer bar ca 1895.
    Colt started putting in the Positive Safety hammer block in 1905 although it took a while for it to percolate through the lineup.
    My bad; in my mind revolver = S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Are guns that are not drop safe, a risk for appendix? Possibility of a car accident or an accident in general to cause the gun to discharge?
    I think that's unlikely--at least in the case of firing pin inertia. Impact forces of two hard objects can be really large, and that's what's needed to set off a primer. Unless your crotch hit something hard at high velocity, I doubt it would fire.

On the other hand, lack of a FP block safety makes a cocked hammer one failure point away from a discharge.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Any idea how many live and dry hammer drops that pistol had on one firing pin spring, or what the firing pin spring was (extra strength vs. not)? The XC is a heavy pig, so that paired with a worn/weak FPS and then dropped perfectly muzzle down on concrete would be a worse case scenario for a 1911/2011 firing when dropped.

As for AIWB and car accidents, that seems unlikely to me for the reasons CF stated. Significant inertia plus a hard surface plus muzzle straight down is the combo for a 1911 to fire without the hammer falling. As for the hammer, it has a half cock notch specifically to prevent discharge in the event the sear/hammer engagement fails.

Considering the full range of possibilities, I would think a pistol with a thumb and grip safety would be more safe than a striker for AIWB.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don’t think a 1911 specifically would be an additional risk during a car accident if carried AIWB. The forces impacting you and the gun would be perpendicular to the orientation of the firing pin and barrel. The reason a muzzle down drop can set off a primer is that the inertia of the firing pin is stronger than the firing pin spring and the pin continues forward and impacts the primer. That’s not the direction force would be acting on the gun in a car crash. It would be similar to a drop that causes the gun to land on its side which isn’t a mechanism that causes drop safety issues in a series 70 1911.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Staccato updated the page on the Staccato C to reflect a 15/17 round magazine capacity - lower profile baseplate?
    I believe I saw somewhere on the website that the 15s were intended to be CO friendly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Is there any reason not to simply use an extra power firing pin spring and titanium firing pin?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List