Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Site Supporter
    We have a fair number of Asian students here because of the university. It is not unusual to see masks on a nice looking family of Mom, Dad and baby in the stroller. Not ideological.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I saw yesterday that Seattle is giving huge bonuses to cops (something like $20k ea). And new officers will start at over $100k... because defunding works
    And it probably still won't be enough to recruit the number they need. The city council is still FUBAR.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    COVID masks? It's just a mask dude. Probably because the person wearing it has a cold or feels sick.

In several Asian cultures it is felt to be inconsiderate to get other people sick by not wearing a mask. I'd expect something similar in any large metropolitan area with a concentrated population of Asian people. Those cultures often tend to not believe in sick leave either so wearing a mask is also an expression that they are a hard working and productive part of society, but also respectful of other people's health.

People from that part of the world also tend to live in areas that have extremely poor air quality and a mask is their way of trying to mitigate the effects.
    I guess context (that I failed to supply) helps...

Sure, but keep in mind that a) 90+% of everyone who I think of as family is Asian, my comment was not starting from a place meant as derogatory; and b) this is WAY more (like easily 10x more, maybe 50x more) than what I would see from the same population pre-Covid. Makes me wonder if there is something new going around, or at least a rumor of that.

Every so often I’ll drive to the big city (Tucson) and I always see a few people with masks on. Some are older folks, that don’t really bother me much. But many are youngsters and I believe they just like hiding their identity. The Covid scam made it acceptable to do that.

The way I see it you have a few different types of mask wearers and it applies to everywhere.

1) it’s always been prominent in their culture, like Asians.
    2) Older people that just aren’t going to take any chances.
    3) Your Covid groupies that need it to be real.
    4) Hoodlums they hit the Jack pot with the scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'm heading to Costco today, and just saw this:

https://www.koin.com/news/portland/m...stco-shoppers/
    ‘Makes me sick:’ Detectives search for crime syndicate pickpocketing Costco shoppers
    I started carrying my wallet in my front pocket years ago for that reason.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I always thought it very polite when traveling in Asia, especially in the winter, to see people wearing masks when they have the sniffles. I was genuinely impressed to see an obviously drunk guy, needing help from his friends to even stay standing, wearing a large garden trash bag around his neck while in the Tokyo subway one late night. Wouldn't want to make a mess!

Even at big dinners, when it's common to use your own chopsticks to serve yourself from the food spinning around on the lazy Susan, sick people will commonly use an extra set of chopsticks to serve themselves from the shared plates, and not use the ones they are putting in their mouths.

And the air quality often sucks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I also heard tell ages ago that sometimes the mask is because the person had eaten something that may cause a bit of halitosis, and didn't want to inflict their onion breath on the people in close proximity.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I always thought it very polite when traveling in Asia, especially in the winter, to see people wearing masks when they have the sniffles. I was genuinely impressed to see an obviously drunk guy, needing help from his friends to even stay standing, wearing a large garden trash bag around his neck while in the Tokyo subway one late night. Wouldn't want to make a mess!

Even at big dinners, when it's common to use your own chopsticks to serve yourself from the food spinning around on the lazy Susan, sick people will commonly use an extra set of chopsticks to serve themselves from the shared plates, and not use the ones they are putting in their mouths.

And the air quality often sucks.
    On the ambulance we used to do that with drunks, too. Take a big trash bag and tear a hole on one side near the mouth, then put their head through it and let them wear it as a vomit bib.

Worked great, but the touchy feely betters in the hospital who don't actually deal with vomit, piss, and shit on a daily basis decided that it was demeaning to their dignity and prohibited the practice.

So then we just had to let them fucking vomit all over the place, including themselves, since basins in a bouncing ambulance dont work real well with someone who doesn't want/cannot maintain control over it. Then, we'd go out of service to clean up afterwards, instead. Not to mention the confusion we felt about how we were somehow insulting their dignity, when they're the ones who decided to get drunk beyond control....or that the patient vomiting all over themselves is somehow more dignified than vomiting into a bag around their neck.

Moments like this make me so much happier with my current job.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    On the ambulance we used to do that with drunks, too. Take a big trash bag and tear a hole on one side near the mouth, then put their head through it and let them wear it as a vomit bib.

Worked great, but the touchy feely betters in the hospital who don't actually deal with vomit, piss, and shit on a daily basis decided that it was demeaning to their dignity and prohibited the practice.

So then we just had to let them fucking vomit all over the place, including themselves, since basins in a bouncing ambulance dont work real well with someone who doesn't want/cannot maintain control over it. Then, we'd go out of service to clean up afterwards, instead. Not to mention the confusion we felt about how we were somehow insulting their dignity, when they're the ones who decided to get drunk beyond control....or that the patient vomiting all over themselves is somehow more dignified than vomiting into a bag around their neck.

Moments like this make me so much happier with my current job.
    Did you ever just let them wear the vomit bib in the ambulance and take it off before taking them into the hospital? My son is driving an ambulance for AMR in Portland. I’ll have to ask him if he’s ever seen this.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Did you ever just let them wear the vomit bib in the ambulance and take it off before taking them into the hospital? My son is driving an ambulance for AMR in Portland. I’ll have to ask him if he’s ever seen this.
    Portland? That’s hardcore.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List