Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forgotten Weapons--The Truth Behind the One Chinese Red Dot Factory

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Is that purely for "country of origin" issues, or other criteria?
    That’s actually nice but secondary. I prefer the RX feature set with the exception of not being fully enclosed. The Holosun has a poor side button arrangement, a terrible side battery tray design and an overly exposed rear lens. It was the best for the footprint for a few years, but IMO that’s changed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    ...a terrible side battery tray design...
    Yupp

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s actually nice but secondary. I prefer the RX feature set with the exception of not being fully enclosed. The Holosun has a poor side button arrangement, a terrible side battery tray design and an overly exposed rear lens. It was the best for the footprint for a few years, but IMO that’s changed.
    Holosun has been very innovative and has done some good stuff for the industry as a whole. With that said, there's some funkiness that needs designed out of the optics.

Specifically the 509 needs to be reworked to get rid of the fisheye. The X2 is better but there is still some slight magnification with these. Maybe switch to whatever glass is in the EPS? In practice the distortion may not be a big deal but it is also pretty much the 1st thing anyone notices when looking through a 509 for the first time.

Switches I don't really have a problem with. I find the press and hold for the manual/auto/lock out settings easy. Same for changing to dot or circle or circle dot. But the buttons are kind of close together and hard to press to turn these optics off.

This leaves pretty much the battery tray and the tiny eyeglasses screw that holds the tray in. The tray itself is probably an acceptable way to install the battery but the screw feels like the head will snap off at any second. I think some kind of Gen 2 battery tray and screw would be a change we'd all be happy with.

The EPS is pretty much one of my favorite optics right now. Good clarity and a dot that's bright enough to be seen in pretty much all lightning conditions. Maybe not bright enough to see against an oncoming car with high beams on but not many optics are probably this bright.

I've said this before but I think Holosun would be smart to take a page out of SIG's playbook and start assembling some optics in the US. US assembly would be a good way to offset some of the "I hate China" sentiment.

Last edited by Tokarev; 05-25-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    Really good points made in the video.

Lately I am carrying my P365 all the time, and optics choices for this size gun are almost all Chinese. The Holosun SCS looks very interesting.

I had not realized that Gideon Optics is not far from me. I can think of some uses for their products.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Holosun has been very innovative and has done some good stuff for the industry as a whole. With that said, there's some funkiness that needs designed out of the optics.

Specifically the 509 needs to be reworked to get rid of the fisheye. The X2 is better but there is still some slight magnification with these. Maybe switch to whatever glass is in the EPS? In practice the distortion may not be a big deal but it is also pretty much the 1st thing anyone notices when looking through a 509 for the first time.

Switches I don't really have a problem with. I find the press and hold for the manual/auto/lock out settings easy. Same for changing to dot or circle or circle dot. But the buttons are kind of close together and hard to press to turn these optics off.

This leaves pretty much the battery tray and the tiny eyeglasses screw that holds the tray in. The tray itself is probably an acceptable way to install the battery but the screw feels like the head will snap off at any second. I think some kind of Gen 2 battery tray and screw would be a change we'd all be happy with.

The EPS is pretty much one of my favorite optics right now. Good clarity and a dot that's bright enough to be seen in pretty much all lightning conditions. Maybe not bright enough to see against an oncoming car with high beams on but not many optics are probably this bright.

I've said this before but I think Holosun would be smart to take a page out of SIG's playbook and start assembling some optics in the US. US assembly would be a good way to offset some of the "I hate China" sentiment.

Not sure if the China sentiment affects anything holosun outsells sig by a huge margin not even cloae

User Tag List