Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Girsan 2311s Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sounds like the actual bore diameter is under and would not take the pilot of his reamer. Interesting, so many 9mms are on the high side of bore and groove diameter.
    The gun shot okay but wasn't "match" accurate in stock form. It was good enough to shoot a human sized target in the chest at 25 or more yards but probably wasn't the gun you'd want to use to work up an accuracy load. I did send Marty a new bushing that was still on the looser side but not as completely sloppy as the Girsan bushing. I thought about getting a bushing that needed ID and OD fit but decided against it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Here it is decked out in all its glory.

I also have the C&H ACRO plate and had sort of planned on using a C&H Duty here. Budget gun with budget optic and all that. But the Duty is too wide to fit into my US Duty Gear 6280 clone or my Safariland RDSO. 509T it is!

I'm in Los Angeles attending A.J. Zito’s 1911 Driver class.

Day 1 was range work with a focus on grip and trigger. Today will start with a fairly deep dive into troubleshooting and user maintenance.

I'm running the 2311 on sort of its second shake down cruise; the first having been the Sage Dynamics class last year. We didn't shoot a ton of rounds yesterday, but the gun is running fine. It now seems to consistently lock open on Prodigy mags. The optic plate seems to be staying tight. I'm hopeful that it will stay put the remainder of the class.

The only oddball occurrence was yesterday after lunch. We were standing in a semicircle listening to A.J. when I felt something sort of pass my right elbow. It was the base plate and retainer plate off one of my Checkmate mags. I found the plates and guts and put the mag back together. Nothing appears to be cracked or otherwise damaged. We'll see what happens today. Maybe aluminum base plates are in my future for these mags?

10 students in the class. Eight Staccato guns. One nicer gun. I forget the builder. I'll ask him again today if I get a chance. And then one Girsan....

Class over. Overall, it was a fun class, although not really a 1911/2011 specific class. Not that the 1911 platform necessarily needs its own special course. And then I'd say the student body was all pretty familiar with the 2011. I'm sure that helps.

The total rounds was probably 500. I had 600-ish in a cardboard box when we started. I probably have 100 or 150 left. So about on goal for the class requirements.

A.J.'s disassembly and maintenance chat was really good. He went into pretty good detail about extractor tension and tweaking but didn't mention anything about hook geometry or anything like that. He also covered some simple stuff like changing out a broken barrel link and squeezing the groove joint on an ambi safety to fix the slop. Stuff that a dedicated 1911 user probably should know without needing any specific tools or needing to send a pistol back to the builder for simple stuff.

The Girsan ran fine until pretty much the last half hour of the class. I believe my lighter target reloads and the old Shadow Systems recoil spring are to blame. The Shadow Systems spring seems to work pretty well with factory JHP and hasn't really caused issues with my minor power factor ammo before. But I think a slightly dry and dirty gun with a fairly stout spring was just a little too much for the target ammo. I say this because I had probably three or four stove pipes at the end of the day when a full mag was in the gun. I really probably should buy a dedicated flat wire spring for the gun. Probably a 14# would be about right for general range stuff.

I'm going to drop the gun off with Marty for a little follow-up work. Some of my mags are making slight contact with the bottom of the ejector. The trigger has developed a slight glitch that I'd like him to look at as well.

A.J. during lecture and demo.

My range neighbor's XC

The Extreme Shooters dragon scale texture is money. It is old school OG texture but still works well for range use!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm going to drop the gun off with Marty for a little follow-up work. Some of my mags are making slight contact with the bottom of the ejector. The trigger has developed a slight glitch that I'd like him to look at as well.
    Gun off with Marty for some touch-up. Unbeknownst to me was the fact that somewhere over the weekend the grip safety quit working. I pointed this out to Marty when I was at his shop. He's going to take a look inside and weld and re-cut the internal tang as best he can.

Weird stuff. Not unknown in the 1911 world. Also probably definitely not unknown in the Girsan world.

User Tag List